The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: It's Scheu Time

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: It's Scheu Time

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:51 pm

2004 Pfeffingen Ungsteiner Herrenberg Scheurebe Spatlese

This is an overtly tropical, tons of fun, easy to slurp waaaayyy too much Scheurebe. Pick a tropical fruit (except Durian) and it's in there. Fantastic acidity to balance things, a little CO2 still in there for an extra kick, and screwcap to boot!

What's not to love?! It's a monster of a Herrenberg Scheurebe.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: WTN: It's Scheu Time

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:13 pm

David, while Scheurebe can be perfectly adequate, Riesling is usually better and I tend not to buy or drink either Scheurabe or Silvaner.

I guess it is sort of like drinking Carmenere when you could as easily drink Cabernet. Except for a brief taste once in a long while just for the sake of variety, neither Carmenere, nor Scheurebe would form a regular part of my wine intake nor cellar.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:25 pm

Nothing about better or worse here Bill - this wine is unlike any expression of Riesling available. There is no comparison. You might as well be comparing Riesling to Bordeaux.
no avatar
User

Felix Warners

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:55 pm

Netherlands, Zandvoort and Zeist

by Felix Warners » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:50 am

Thanks for the tn David. I love the Scheurebe spatlese of Pfeffingen, a friend of me imports Pfeffingen to the Netherlands so I have been able to taste some different Scheurebes they produce last year. The basic Scheurebe Spatlese has a very high QPR. The first Scheurebe I had was a Beerenauslese of Pfeffingen (this wine had an insane acid backbone), could have been worse :lol:
I dont think I had any 2004 though but I do know I loved the basic Scheurebe 2005 spatlese a lot.
You also mention a high acidity in your tn, I have also found this in most of the Scheurebes I tasted of them and because the wines have so much fruit they also needs these refreshing acids. I red somewhere Scheurebe produces low acid wines, are the Scheurebes of Pfeffingen one of the few or is it generally not true Scheurebes lack acidity?
"How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants."
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:55 am

Felix,

I'm not sure in general, but the Scheurebe I buy is never notably low acid. I don't care for it if it is.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:05 am

Sounds like something I'd love. Don't see any 04s in Wine-Searcher, only 06s. Imagine they are comparable, no?
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:17 am

Pfeffingen's '06s are even bigger: half Camen Miranda's hat and half Cotat Sancerre - put them both together what a fine looking Scheu.
no avatar
User

Alan Gardner

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:41 pm

Toronto

by Alan Gardner » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:31 am

It's a standing 'joke' around here that Scheurebe "is my favourite grape" (It's not - but it is my favourite of the Geisenheim crosses). I've had dozens (possibly hundreds) and one characteristic (aside from its signature blackcurrant nose(for me)) is certainly it's high acidity - I have had a flabby TBA or two but don't recall anyone producing a low-acid version (Any shipper/producer?).
Incidentally I recall, from my early interest, that this was originally marketed as 'Hitlerrebe' which name was subsequently dropped (for obvious marketing reasons) before being named after its original developer (I still recall having some bottles designated as S88 - which was its crossing ID). But I can no longer find any reference to Hitlerrebe. Does anyone else recall it?
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:44 am

Alan Gardner wrote:(I still recall having some bottles designated as S88 - which was its crossing ID).

Strauss exports their wine in Austria from that grape as 'Sämling 88', but I don't know how commonly that is done in Austria (or elswhere?).
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:03 am

I'm not a fan of all his work, but he sure nailed Scheurebe!

[url]http://www.swr.de/-/id=2576884/property=zoom/width=300/height=400/pubVersion=3/196lx2y/index.jpg
[/url]
Alan, Hitler was still on the western front in WWI when Georg Scheu came up with the vine (in 1916.) It seems possible though that S88 was renamed Hilterrebe just as Kaiser Weck was renamed Hitler Weck during the Nazi era.

Keith, It seems to me that many Austrians are finally abandoning 'Saemling 88' in favor of 'Scheurebe.' Wo ist Herr Pronay?!

-Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:23 pm

I know Kracher uses "Scheurebe."
no avatar
User

JeanF

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:04 pm

by JeanF » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:49 am

This Hitler-Rebe story intrigued me. I just gave a call to an older winemaker in Germany and he confirms to me that Scheu-Rebe was called Hitler-Rebe during the NS era. But he couldn't remember why.
www.moselfinewines.com
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:52 am

JeanF wrote:I just gave a call to an older winemaker in Germany and he confirms to me that Scheu-Rebe was called Hitler-Rebe during the NS era. But he couldn't remember why.

It's probably better that way.
no avatar
User

JeanF

Rank

Ultra geek

by JeanF » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:53 am

Bill Spohn wrote:while Scheurebe can be perfectly adequate, Riesling is usually better and I tend not to buy or drink either Scheurabe or Silvaner.

Riesling may be the finer grape but not always better: it depends on the food. Scheurebe and Silvaner go much better with Bavarian-styled food (i.e. with cumin or marjolaine) than Riesling.
www.moselfinewines.com
no avatar
User

JeanF

Rank

Ultra geek

by JeanF » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:57 am

David M. Bueker wrote:
JeanF wrote:I just gave a call to an older winemaker in Germany and he confirms to me that Scheu-Rebe was called Hitler-Rebe during the NS era. But he couldn't remember why.

It's probably better that way.

No-no, it's not what you think: he couldn't remember if it was a meant as a joke by ordinary people (making analogies between the grape's properties and some of the stupidities of the regime) or whether it was used by the regime for promotion.
www.moselfinewines.com
no avatar
User

Alan Gardner

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:41 pm

Toronto

by Alan Gardner » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:47 am

JeanF wrote:This Hitler-Rebe story intrigued me. I just gave a call to an older winemaker in Germany and he confirms to me that Scheu-Rebe was called Hitler-Rebe during the NS era. But he couldn't remember why.

Thanks for your effforts, JeanF.
I was beginning to wonder if this was an urban legend of my own making, as I've asked several visiting winemakers about this (most recently Rainer Lingenfelder, who also makes a good version of Scheurebe).

My recollection is that the initial story came from Dr Becker at Geisenheim, who probably had more stories than anyone else - so I'm not sure how many were true and which were for 'effect'.
My favourite was the one about the phylloxera outbreak, which the Germans (supposedly) tried to prevent by putting up "Phylloxera Keep Out" signs at the border.

Another concerned how one determined which of the multiple crossings, that were developed at Geisenheim, would potentially make the best wines. Dr Becker claimed that he would watch the rabbits in the morning. Whichever vines they went to eat at first would have the 'tastiest' grapes which would then make the better wines!