The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Quit drinking, but still a wine taster

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

BMcKenney

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:37 pm

Calgary

Re: Quit drinking, but still a wine taster

by BMcKenney » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:59 pm

Bob Ross wrote:I've been in that situation for several months, Bryan. I need to take a medicine, and interaction with alcohol causes dizziness on an unpredictable basis, usually 18 to 36 hours after ingestion, unpredictable as to occurrence, duration and intensity. Dizziness doesn't occur while or after drinking.

I've tried a couple of tastings where I spit only -- I've done that a number of times over the year at large tastings, drinking only a glass or so during the evening, usually after the spit and taste was done. Was often great fun -- I've written up my notes on some of these tastings, and at least one is posted here -- I'll edit it in in due course.

Somehow spitting without having the option to actually drinking wine lacks interest for me. I have no professional reason for doing so -- as a sommelier or wine critic might have. I always enjoyed writing up my notes during these tastings, then finding my favorites and actually drinking a sip or two during the evening or sharing a glass or two later on with a meal.

For me, spitting only lacks interest and joy. I'm taking up another hobby to replace wine, with reluctance but in the recognition that continuing to drink wine with the risk of the side effect is not a reasonable option. It appears I'm an all or nothing guy in this regard, at least.

Best, Bob

Hi Bob,

That's too bad. I hadn't thought of meds being a reason for having to stop drinking, but that might be one of the most common reasons. Do you have a lot of wine stored away? Just curious if you do and what that means. Do you keep a small selection and sell the rest?

Bryan
no avatar
User

EY Han

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:27 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by EY Han » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Hi Bryan,

Some years ago I developed a liver ailment, I'm pretty sure not from alcohol (my mother thinks its from meds, but that cannot be confirmed either). Not only did my doctor advise me against hard alcohol, I also even with the smallest drops of any such whiskey or such down my throat I would begin to feel disturbances in and rejections by my body. Thankfully however, wine and beer in "modest" consumption has year upon year been approved by the doctor. I was especially relieved to find that my blood test did not worsen from last year, especially being concerned about my developing obsession for wine (see "Are you an obsessive wine buyer" thread viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17193). Along with this, I make sure to tell him and other concerned individuals that I normally drink only "once a week" (which really means that that "one day" is Friday evening till Saturday evening and all the multiple meals during that time period).

Best wishes,
E.Y.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:26 pm

I thought this was an interesting thread, till I read Bob's post and it became a depressing thread. While I think Bob is a great guy and hope he does whatever it takes to live long and prosper, I'd selfishingly miss one of the most entertaining and erudite posters here.

I certainly see his point, though. I have no problem spitting almost all the wine at an afternoon big trade event, or most of the wine at an offline. But if I didn't have the option of drinking some of the best stuff it would lose it's appeal.

I wish Bob (and all with any health/medicine issues) all the best.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:57 am

BMcKenney wrote:
That's too bad. I hadn't thought of meds being a reason for having to stop drinking, but that might be one of the most common reasons. Do you have a lot of wine stored away? Just curious if you do and what that means. Do you keep a small selection and sell the rest?

Bryan

A couple of points -- the condition is BHP, a condition that is permanent. I've tried two of the three alternative drug therapies, and plan to start the third next week. If the dizziness continues, I'm faced with a collection of about 1800 bottles.

I'm considering a few options on disposal -- gifts to folks I know would appreciate them, retain a few for the odd occasions when I can take the risk of dizziness for a couple of days, and probably donate the rest. I'm discussing a charity auction with a couple of my favorites. My plan is to resolve the issue over the next two months, and if the problem persists, dispose of the wine by the end of the year so other folks can enjoy them.

Best, Bob
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:16 pm

Bob Ross wrote:
A couple of points -- the condition is BHP, a condition that is permanent. I've tried two of the three alternative drug therapies, and plan to start the third next week. If the dizziness continues, I'm faced with a collection of about 1800 bottles.

I'm considering a few options on disposal -- gifts to folks I know would appreciate them, retain a few for the odd occasions when I can take the risk of dizziness for a couple of days, and probably donate the rest. I'm discussing a charity auction with a couple of my favorites. My plan is to resolve the issue over the next two months, and if the problem persists, dispose of the wine by the end of the year so other folks can enjoy them.

I assume that you meant BPH, Bob. Regardless, like Dale, I am very saddened by this news and wish you nothing but the best. I hope for all of our sakes that you can find a workable solution for this condition that doesn't require you to forgo a hobby (yes, I said it!) that has given you (and, vicariously, us) so much pleasure. More importantly, though, I hope that you can find a solution that provides you with a good quality of life. Wine, in the end, is less important than happiness and comfort.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:22 pm

Bob,

Sorry to hear the news. Your insights, questions, and above all your research abilities, would be missed.

One point I want to make about the idea of not being able to consume wine. In your first post in the thread you said you'd be able to drop wine consumption and seek another hobby.

That word "hobby" harbors a core issue with me. It would be extremely difficult for me to have to give up wine consumption because it is not my hobby.

To me, wine is as much a hobby as is eating...my love for wine is a visceral response to something that nourishes, if not my complete physical being, at least my mental being.

I believe the word "hobby" best describes a wine geek, but it does not necessarily describe to me a passionate wine consumer.

Of course, being in the wine business adds another dimension to not being able to walk away from the nectar.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:54 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:I assume that you meant BPH, Bob. Mark Lipton

Absolutely right, Mark. Thanks -- I've mixed those letters up for years. :( (And thanks for the good wishes.) Best, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:00 pm

Thomas wrote:One point I want to make about the idea of not being able to consume wine. In your first post in the thread you said you'd be able to drop wine consumption and seek another hobby.

Thomas, I think the OED captures my interest in wine perfectly:

Hobby = "A favourite occupation or topic, pursued merely for the amusement or interest that it affords, and which is compared to the riding of a toy horse (sense 3); an individual pursuit to which a person is devoted (in the speaker's opinion) out of proportion to its real importance."

I particularly like that last little jab.

But, of course, I came to wine because a doctor recommended it, and like many of my interests, it became an obsession.

I certainly empathize with folks to take wine more seriously -- writers like yourself, winemakers, etc, etc. But for me wine was pursued "merely for the amusement or [and in my case] interest it afforded".

Best, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:19 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:I like your style Thomas! I have often said that when the doctor tells me I have six months to live, I will be the one heading to my cellar with a corkscrew and a glass!!

Bruce, why bother with a glass? :mrgreen:
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:23 pm

Bob Ross wrote:
Thomas wrote:One point I want to make about the idea of not being able to consume wine. In your first post in the thread you said you'd be able to drop wine consumption and seek another hobby.

Thomas, I think the OED captures my interest in wine perfectly:

Hobby = "A favourite occupation or topic, pursued merely for the amusement or interest that it affords, and which is compared to the riding of a toy horse (sense 3); an individual pursuit to which a person is devoted (in the speaker's opinion) out of proportion to its real importance."

I particularly like that last little jab.

But, of course, I came to wine because a doctor recommended it, and like many of my interests, it became an obsession.

I certainly empathize with folks to take wine more seriously -- writers like yourself, winemakers, etc, etc. But for me wine was pursued "merely for the amusement or [and in my case] interest it afforded".

Best, Bob

Thanks, Bob, that's the first cogent explanation I've gotten from someone who thinks of wine as a hobby.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:39 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Somehow spitting without having the option to actually drinking wine lacks interest for me. I have no professional reason for doing so -- as a sommelier or wine critic might have. I always enjoyed writing up my notes during these tastings, then finding my favorites and actually drinking a sip or two during the evening or sharing a glass or two later on with a meal.

For me, spitting only lacks interest and joy. I'm taking up another hobby to replace wine, with reluctance but in the recognition that continuing to drink wine with the risk of the side effect is not a reasonable option. It appears I'm an all or nothing guy in this regard, at least.

Best, Bob

Bob, I like a lot of others here am saddened by this news. I do think too that Dale said it very well. I too was enjoying reading this thread, until I read your news. I know you to be a lover of wine, and food, and for me it is difficult to separate the two. Of course I suppose I could quit drinking wine if I absolutely HAD to do it, but even then, I doubt that I could ever quit entirely tasting wine...especially here at home. Spitting in (for an example) a restaurant doesn't appeal to me nor to the other diners I presume. At offlines with other wine lovers it would be fine though. Just think how long a fine wine could be made to go if it were decanted into 187.5's. I hope you are able to somehow engender some interest and joy in just tasting. I hope too that if you do give up wine, that you will still visit with us here.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:40 am

Bob Ross wrote:I'm taking up another hobby to replace wine, with reluctance but in the recognition that continuing to drink wine with the risk of the side effect is not a reasonable option. It appears I'm an all or nothing guy in this regard, at least.

Bob,

I guess I'm a little less inclined to mourn your departure from the world of drinking wine than to celebrate the time you were able to enjoy it, and, in particular, to celebrate the time you spent on this forum. Your contributions were foundational, in my opinion, to maintaining the respectful, intellectually curious, and fascinating level of discourse that goes on in these parts. A large degree of the enjoyment I get from WLDG is from the tone that you have helped to establish and maintain. Thus, I know whatever hobby you find to replace wine (and I'd be fascinated to find out what it would be) will give you another opportunity to live life ever more fully and bring joy and enlightenment to those that cross your path in your new pursuits.

Of course, we have never met, but I think that just makes my high regard for you speak volumes. I am not drinking anything alcoholic tonight, so I'll be raising a fine glass of Sprudel in your honor.

Cheers and best of luck. I hope you still find the opportunity to stop by from time to time.
no avatar
User

Chris Kissack

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:42 am

by Chris Kissack » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:15 am

Tim York wrote:I once met a man ITB who did not even take wine into his mouth claiming that he could make sound buying judgements by nose alone. I am very sceptical about this, quite apart from the loss of all the pleasures derived from the palate.

I once knew someone who enjoyed a reasonable wine knowledge, who travelled widely and would often visit wineries to stock up on wine. He would assess by smell, and then purchase for his family and guests to drink. He never took a drop himself as he was 100% teetotal, and yet was clearly 'wine-interested'.
Previous