The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What is this?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tina L

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:29 pm

Central California

What is this?

by Tina L » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:09 pm

I opened a bottle of wine and there was what looked like salt or something mineral like all over the cork and the top inside of the bottle. Is this a common occurance?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: What is this?

by James Roscoe » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:30 pm

Yep. The wine should be fine. I forget what they are called. One of the elder statesmen will tell you.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:42 pm

Potassium tartrate crystals (also known as cream of tartar). It's perfectly normal and harmless. If anything it's a good sign that the wine has adequate acidity, and that it wasn't overly manipulated before bottling. Some wineries cold-stabilize (read: nearly freeze) their wine to force the crystals to precipitate out before bottling, then filter them out, so as not to unduly alarm uninformed consumers.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:34 am

Paul Winalski wrote:...Some wineries cold-stabilize (read: nearly freeze) their wine to force the crystals to precipitate out before bottling, then filter them out, so as not to unduly alarm uninformed consumers.
-Paul W.
Actually, you are partly correct. Cold stabilization precipitates out the crystals. However, if this is not done, when the wine is chilled, it will become cloudy from the crystals falling out of solution. Most reds are not cold stabilized, while most whites are.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:35 am

Tina, I knew that you would get good answers from this group. It's like magic!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 am

Wine Diamonds! A sure sign of superior quality! :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Elucidating...

by TomHill » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:04 am

Howie Hart wrote:
Paul Winalski wrote:...Some wineries cold-stabilize (read: nearly freeze) their wine to force the crystals to precipitate out before bottling, then filter them out, so as not to unduly alarm uninformed consumers.
-Paul W.
Actually, you are partly correct. Cold stabilization precipitates out the crystals. However, if this is not done, when the wine is chilled, it will become cloudy from the crystals falling out of solution. Most reds are not cold stabilized, while most whites are.

Not an elder statesman, but to elucidate. When the grapes come in, there is an equilibrium solution of potassium bitartrate in the juice. As the wine ferments, alcohol is produced. The solubility of potassium bitartrate in an alcohol solution is less than in a water solution, so the potassium bitartrate exists in a super-saturated state in the alcohol-containing wine. It will slowly precipitate out of solution. To hasten this process, primarily for white wines that are not aged so long, they can cold-stabilize...which means putting the wine in a tank and dropping the temperature to near freezing..which accelerates the precipitation process. They then do a light filter to take the potassium bitartrate out of the wine. Actually..a pretty harmless process. If they do not cold-stabilize..the potassium bitartrate will naturally precipitate out, often on the cork (where there are more nucleation sites) and then may fall to the bottom of the btl. They are harmless and tasteless (like a lot of the folks around here)...just a little crunchy is all.
The same situation exists in red wine (supersaturated solution of KBiT), but red wine in normally aged longer in the wnry and the KBiT will naturally precipitate out, so cold stabilization is seldom needed for reds...unless it's a Gamay or something that's bttld early. If you take a look-see in a long-used big oak or redwood tank/oval for red wines (like at Fillipi or Thomas wnry, where they still have a bunch), you'll see the inside of the tank coated with these KBiT crystals. In fact, back in the olden days, back around WWII, back when Howie was in his prime, back afore my time, wineries were the most common source of cream of tartar. Now there are more practical/cheaper, less natural, sources of cream of tartar.
Waaaay more than you wanted to know, probably, Tina.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:44 pm

A vineyard near my home (one of 4, I'm happy to say) actually takes their abundance of Potassium tartrate left over from the wine making process and gives them to local institutions who have a need for them. I use them to polish metal alloy wheels.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:43 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:A vineyard near my home (one of 4, I'm happy to say) actually takes their abundance of Potassium tartrate left over from the wine making process and gives them to local institutions who have a need for them. I use them to polish metal alloy wheels.

Jon,

You can make gun powder from it...
Thomas P