The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wieder Weil

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

WTN: Wieder Weil

by Keith M » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:38 am

On the way up to the Mosel recently, we were running late and realized we wouldn't make it that far north before things would be closed for the day, so we made a slight detour (via ferry across the Rhine) to slip over to Robert Weil in the Rheingau. Robert Weil was in 2006, for all events and purposes, my introduction to German wine as it was the first producer I visited upon moving to Germany and I had little experience with German wines prior to that. On that day in 2006, they knocked the ball out of the park, and the only reason we ended up with so little to take home was our introduction to the lack of a credit card culture at many German businesses.

So, we were excited to return. We were much less impressed this time. So I don't know if 2007 was just a less impressive year for the Rheingau than 2005 was (at least for our taste preferences--I love Weil trocken). But my impressions of the wines are below. The staff, as upon our last visit, were very kind hosts, particularly as we came near the end of the day and they were preparing for an after-hours tasting. Very hospitable place.

2007 Robert Weil Rheingau Riesling Qualitätswein Trocken - smell stony simple nose, taste obvious fruit, grapefruit and spice, this is solid wine, but nothing wow about it, for 11 euro, I'd pass

2007 Robert Weil Kiedrich Gräfenberg Rheingau Riesling Kabinett Trocken - smell simple hay nose, closed at first, then opens up into beautiful floral fields, taste direct lemon attack, a rounded lemon drop, razor blade finish, I liked that profile, but still found it heavy for a kabinett, I could see this one having promise, but I wasn't sold, and at 17 euro, that makes it a hard sell for a kabinett

2007 Robert Weil Kiedrich Turmberg Rheingau Riesling Qualitätswein Trocken - I was told that this was made with spätlese-level must and was made in 50 percent stainless steel (as is most riesling at Weil) and 50 big oak barrels to allow for a more oxidative style - smells light and direct on the nose, tastes full and fruity, lavender, big and explosive, I did like how unique it was from the rest of the Weil style, a possibility for uniqueness at 20 euro

2007 Robert Weil Rheingau Riesling Qualitätswein Halbtrocken - evidently the word halbtrocken doesn't seem to grate the folks at Weil as much as at some other producers I visited - smell big green nose, hay, sharp, something here I certainly don't like, taste simple, unoffensive and plain, on this day, t'aint happening at 11 euro

2007 Robert Weil Rheingau Riesling Qualitätswein - smell simple nose, taste simple doable fruit, water, nice enough but no reach, at this point, I'm more yearning for the trockene, meh for 11 euro

2007 Robert Weil Kiedrich Gräfenberg Rheingau Riesling Spätlese - smell rich honey, brighter and more chipper here, which I like very much, taste full rich sweet, not syrupy, but too much of just raw sugar for me (not sure if this is a vintage characteristic or what, as I noted the same characteristic in quite a few 2007ers in the Mosel), too much raw sugar for me for 33 euro

2007 Robert Weil Kiedrich Gräfenberg Rheingau Riesling Auslese - was told this was made of grapes of Beerenauslese level ripeness - nicely balanced, with honey and lemon (any more tea anyone? no? then you may return to your posts), heaviness, though initially impressive, the rich intense sweetness might be too intense for me, at least at present, nonetheless, if I had a cellar, I'd go for a 375 ml at 33 euro, I really liked it

slight break to clear the palate, as we hadn't made clear we were up for some sekt . . .

2006 Robert Weil Rheingau Riesling Extra Brut Sekt - smell big firm nose, mouthfeel great noticeable bubbles, taste harsh and weird until palate acclimates (remember I had a sweet Auslese a few minutes before), odd weedy finish, this wine ends up being dry, direct, sharp, nice, I like it, don't love it, which means at 17 euro, I'd pass, though I found it much lighter than the bulk of riesling sekt I've had

2006 Robert Weil Rheingau Riesling Brut Sekt - I was told that the only difference between this sekt and the last was that the dosage on the extra brut had no extra sugar, while this one did, smells fruity and intense, a bit more pleasant upfront than the last one (what is it they say about a spoonful of sugar?), but a very intense wine, reminded me of cava, not sure which I'd prefer more of the two, both are decent, but neither worth me seeking out at 17 euro
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: WTN: Wieder Weil

by Bill Hooper » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:12 am

Keith M wrote: We were much less impressed this time. So I don't know if 2007 was just a less impressive year for the Rheingau than 2005 was (at least for our taste preferences--I love Weil trocken

Thanks for the notes Keith, It doesn't surprise me that 2005 felt better than '07 -especially for Trocken wines. In vintages 'less muscular', trocken can seem a bit sharp and shrill. I would expect more from Weil though. I'll see if I can find any Weil '07s in the coming months to add to the converstaion.

Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:18 pm

I visited Weil in 2003 (tasting the 2002s), and it was great fun. I guess I am not surprised at the showing of the 2007s. It is early days yet, but so far nothing I have tasted, seen or read makes me believe it's a great vintage. I'm sure it's a very good vintage though.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:07 am

Keith M wrote:2007 Robert Weil Kiedrich Gräfenberg Rheingau Riesling Kabinett Trocken - smell simple hay nose, closed at first, then opens up into beautiful floral fields, taste direct lemon attack, a rounded lemon drop, razor blade finish, I liked that profile, but still found it heavy for a kabinett, I could see this one having promise, but I wasn't sold, and at 17 euro, that makes it a hard sell for a kabinett

Aha, somehow I missed that you had visited Weil on your way up. So, then I guess it was good I didn't open this bottle on Friday night, because neither of us seem particularly enamored with it. I didn't necessarily find it heavy, but I agree with the other descriptors and I also wasn't sold so will have to wait and see.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:17 am

Rahsaan wrote:So, then I guess it was good I didn't open this bottle on Friday night, because neither of us seem particularly enamored with it. I didn't necessarily find it heavy, but I agree with the other descriptors and I also wasn't sold so will have to wait and see.

Indeed, but I was quite enamored of that Nahe wine. Could you remind me of the site name? I still haven't ventured into the wines of that region . . .
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:20 am

Keith M wrote:Indeed, but I was quite enamored of that Nahe wine. Could you remind me of the site name? I still haven't ventured into the wines of that region . . .

The whole wine name was 2006 Gutsverwaltung Niederhausen Schlossböckelheim Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Kabinett Trocken.

The first-class site is Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle and you will of course find an excellent version from Dönnhoff :wink:
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:23 am

Rahsaan wrote:The whole wine name was 2006 Gutsverwaltung Niederhausen Schlossböckelheim Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Kabinett Trocken.

And you, sir, are the model of a modern major-general.

Thanks for the info (and the wine!).