The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bastille Day - mostly older Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave Guimond

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:29 am

WTN: Bastille Day - mostly older Bordeaux

by Dave Guimond » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:53 pm

We had some folks over to celebrate Bastille Day with a theme of, you guessed it, French wines!
My brief notes:
Aperitif:
1. NV Yves Ruffin Brut Champagne Magnum - Nobody had ever of this producer - the bottle indicated 1er cru Avenay. This was, to my palate, leaning towards a blanc de blanc style - light, crisp, a touch yeasty - fully mature. Well appreciated by this crowd.
2. 96 Gimmonet Champagne Grand Cru - Bigger & richer than the above - excellent concentration, balance and length. If I had any I'd drink it soonish, but it should hold for a while for those that like them older.
3. 96 Jean-Marc Boillot Corton Charlemagne - Very dark Sauternes-like color - DOA - Yet another disappointment from this much-heralded white Burgundy vintage - 'nuff said.
4. 01 Chapoutier Chante Alouette Hermitage Blanc - This is drinking nicely - a bit floral and nicely rounded out - really quite ready but will hold for a bit. I'm drinking the last two bottles this year.
5. 83 Willm Gewurztraminer Grand Cru Gebuwiller - Wow! Quite dark. Excellent nose with more secondary charicteristics than overt fruit. Quite rich and full on the palate still. Good long finish. I'd have never aged this for so long, but it worked!
Set 1:
6. 95 La Mondotte St. Emelion - A bit foursquare. Decent fruit, not tannin in evidence, but not terribly complex.
7. 89 Clerc Milon - Some brett intermingled with fruit on the nose - too much for one taster, but just right for me. Good depth and concentration. More echoes of earthy brett on the finish. Excellent.
8. 89 Pichon Baron - Initial whiff of corkiness seems to pass quickly and not return. Deep layers of Cabernet. Tastes too good to be corked. Very nice.
9. 88 Smith Haut Lafite - Kind of flat on both nose and palate. This may be an off bottle or it might just be past it's prime.
10. 86 Pavillon Rouge Margaux - Corked - no debate on this one.
Interlude:
11. 83 Vieux Telegraphe - What's a nice Rhone like you doing in a lineup like this? Really bad looking totally wet cork, but I managed to get it out in one piece. Wow! Great nose! Just a little funk. Lots of fruit. Quite long. Some thought it the best of the night to this point. From a passive basement cellar.
The final set:
12. 82 Branaire Ducru - Nice bouquet. Full and rich. A wine to sniff and sip and ponder. Good length. Pure pleasure. Drink soon. Passively cellared in 3 basements since 1985.
13. 82 Leoville Barton - More powerful than the above. Deeper and fuller, but every bit as elegant. Rich, powerful and very long. Complex. The favorite of many. Could evolve further but may lose fruit. Passively cellared in 3 basements since 1985.
14. 81 Leoville Las Cases - Decidely Cabernet. The most structured of the 3. Not as full, but somehow, deeper. The favorite of some - those with a peference for "classic" Bordeaux. Great balance & length. Drinks well now. From a passive basement cellar.
Digestif:
15. 89 Coutet Barsac - Very dark gold. Classic apricot-laden nose. Rich & full and quite long. Disappeared quickly!

Thanks for reading & we'll see some of you at MoCool !

Dave Guimond
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Bastille Day - mostly older Bordeaux

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:36 pm

I love Gimmonet!

I wish I had some of the older Bordeaux you served, but alas I came to it in 2000 or so & missed a lot of great stuff. Someday the gems in my cellar will be old enough to show well.

Thanks for the jealousy inducing notes.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:30 am

Great to read notes from you again, wish you'd post more often. And I wish I had been at your house for Bastille Day! What a line-up. The note on the 81 LLC is especially appreciated as I'm cellaring a singleton and have been wondering when to open it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dave Guimond

Rank

Wine geek

by Dave Guimond » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:18 pm

Hi Jenise - Other aspects of life have been getting in the way of my wine drinking more often than not the past few years... I'd say that the 81 LLC is ready whenever the next great Bordeaux occasion arises.

David, I'd gladly trade you a taste of old Bordeaux for a taste of some 2000 at some point down the road. I bought very few on release and refuse to pay catch-up prices on them...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:41 am

Dave Guimond wrote:David, I'd gladly trade you a taste of old Bordeaux for a taste of some 2000 at some point down the road. I bought very few on release and refuse to pay catch-up prices on them...

Deal!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mike Conner

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am

Knoxville, TN

by Mike Conner » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:49 am

Hey Dave!

My dad bought several '81 Leoville Las Cases in the early 90s.... they were quite tasty in that slightly lean Bordeaux manner - I think the last was polished off by or just before 2000. We saw little reason to hold them, and given the reasonable pricing, they were quickly sacrificed.

Take care,

Mike

In search of the perfect QPR wine.... does it exist?
no avatar
User

Dave Guimond

Rank

Wine geek

by Dave Guimond » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:28 am

Mike Conner wrote:My dad bought several '81 Leoville Las Cases in the early 90s....

Lucky you! All my dad ever bought was Mags of Vendange Cabernet - which were inevitably oxydized after being opened for God knows how long when he poured them !

Hope you make it up for MoCool !

Dave