The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 La Posta Bonarda (Thank you Brian Miller)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

WTN: 2004 La Posta Bonarda (Thank you Brian Miller)

by Patti L » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:21 pm

2004 La Posta Bonarda, Mendoza Argentina

Brian Miller’s posting about the 2006 La Posta Bonarda reminded me that I had some of the 2004 on hand, so I decided to open a bottle tonight.

My previous experience was out with a group of friends, and it was the chef’s recommended wine that evening. We ordered a variety of wines, but the La Posta went well with every entrée we ordered, from beef stroganoff to lamb stew. We all liked it. I ordered half a case and tucked it away until tonight.

I had my first glass with dinner. I grilled a whole butterflied chicken marinated with garlic, olive oil, parsley, rosemary and lemon. Sides were fresh pea risotto and kalamata olives sautéed with red onions.

The color of the wine was a deep ruby, almost black-red in the glass. At first whiff I was struck by raspberry, then a pleasant smokiness. The smokiness paired nicely with the slowly grilled chicken. I wasn’t sure how it would pair with the pea risotto, but it was smooth enough not to overpower, yet stood up to the olives and onions. It was well-structured and felt somewhat luxurious and thick across my palate. A nice strong finish is a pleasant end to each sip.

It’s suggested you drink it young, which is fine, but I think waiting a few years can’t hurt either.
Patti
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: 2004 La Posta Bonarda (Thank you Brian Miller)

by Brian K Miller » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:31 am

Glad you had such a good experience! Not all that many California wines provide such good QPR at that price point (there are some, I know!) In addition to the pleasantly surprising earthyness and smokyness was the reasonable alcohol (13.5% nominal).

We also tasted some Crios wines from Susan Balbo's entry level line, and while the fruit was good and the oak treatment was modest and not intrusive , the alcohol levels were, as Oswaldo found in his Balbo tasting, much more noticeable.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: 2004 La Posta Bonarda (Thank you Brian Miller)

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:18 am

I am going to look for this, as I am on a mini quest to find a special Bonarda because it's so cool when a grape that is an underdog in the old country becomes a swan in the new.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.