The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '96 Wineglass Cellars Elerding Vineyard Cab

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: '96 Wineglass Cellars Elerding Vineyard Cab

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:24 pm

This was the last bottle in the cellar from a trip to the Yakima Valley in 1999. It's certainly taken on some browning on the rim, so it looks aged.

The flavors are a really interesting melange of the young and the old. It still has a lot of primary fruit (ripe, sweet black cherry and raspberry), but also some worn leather and a green pepper element that is not strong enough to bother me (it adds to the complexity), but for those with a green-streak phobia it would be a no-no. There's still some tannin, but the structure is mostly from acid, so it's quite mouthwatering. I'm glad I let this bottle sit for as long as I did because it's an interesting lesson in how a less famous Cab can age. It's really good but it has to fit your personal style preferences. It fits mine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: WTN: '96 Wineglass Cellars Elerding Vineyard Cab

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:10 pm

That sounds really interesting, David. Did you pair it with anything in particular?

I think the oldest US cab I have is 2000.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:26 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:That sounds really interesting, David. Did you pair it with anything in particular?

Steak! Cab and cow is always the way to go. The more the wine opened up the more it reminded me of a solid, but not exceptional vintage of Sociando-Mallet.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:09 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Steak! Cab and cow is always the way to go. The more the wine opened up the more it reminded me of a solid, but not exceptional vintage of Sociando-Mallet.

Good comparison. You are probably aware that Washington cabs have long been both loved and reviled for that green pepper (sometimes called jalapeno) element, but that winemakers here are trying hard to get away from it in order to be more competitive in a Californicated market. Consequently, a decade later than your wine was made one rarely reads about that green pepper quality--but like you, I like it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov