The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Abraxis and Trousseau

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Abraxis and Trousseau

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:52 am

Perfect grtilled steaks, pan sauteed red potatos, all very well seasoned.

2007 Robert Sinskey Vineyards Abraxis (Riesling, Pinot Gris, Gewurtztraminer, Pinot Blanc) Carneros, Napa County. Intriguing wine that illustrates "evolution" in the glass. Heck, I might almost decant this next time. Started out somewhat simple, with the sweetness or Riesling and Gewurtz dominating (tropical fruit and citrus) Over the evening, it settled down and become much more mineral, almost saline. A very interesting wine, especially towards the end. Served with salads and artichoke, believe it or not. A solid 91 points. Cool bottle and label, too!

Jacques Puffeney Arbois Trousseau 2004. Interesting comparison with the Tissot Singulier 2005 from last month. Can't say which one I prefer now! Decanted during the meal. Clear garnet color, almost translucent. Excellent meaty, spicy, peppery sour cherry nose. Like Pinot but not really! Quite interesting on the palate, with, again, the sour cherry, some red plum, a tone of earth, great savory black pepper notes, and a hint of bitterness on the finish. Soft tannins that are completely unobtrusive, but the acidity provides nice structure. Great food wine! My friend stated that he though while some Cabernets overwhelm a steak, this wine somehow complemented the red meat very well. J'adore les vins de la Jura! 93 points +
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

Re: WTN: Abraxis and Trousseau

by Keith M » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:32 am

Sounds like a good meal, Brian. You seem to be a fan of Robert Sinskey . . . I'm curious, have you tried their rosé? I've heard very good reports, but have never had the opportunity myself.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:54 am

I thought there was going to be a Santana note in there.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:46 am

Keith M wrote:Sounds like a good meal, Brian. You seem to be a fan of Robert Sinskey . . . I'm curious, have you tried their rosé? I've heard very good reports, but have never had the opportunity myself.

Not one they were pouring when I visited Saturday.

I think I do enjoy their wines, though. I had a 98 "right bank blend" (RSV Reserve) served from a Magnum last spring, and it was like drinking a red-fruit dominated Bordeaux. The cabs they served Saturday didn't show as well as the Pinots or this white-a little TOO green. When they smooth out, I would expect them to be very good.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach