The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Cap de Faugeres (Cotes de Castillon)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2001 Cap de Faugeres (Cotes de Castillon)

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:36 pm

The cool cellar does it again. There have been reports of this wine's demise. With 3 bottles left in the tank I was up for a science experiment.

Color is still good. No browning. There's still a lot of black cherry fruit and some rough stemminess (that was always there), and it's still got more than enough fruit for balance. It hasn't really developed any interesting secondaries, but I never really expected it would. All it has to do (and has) is hold its fruit and remain a very drinkable bargain Bordeaux. I would not hold bottles for a long time, but it's not cracking up.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2001 Cap de Faugeres (Cotes de Castillon)

by Jenise » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:53 pm

We're calibrated!!

WTN: 2001 Cap de Faugeres
by Jenise on Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:13 am

2001 Cap de Faugeres
Cotes du Castillon

Didn't expect such a dense, ripe, generously endowed wine after the lighter and disappointing 2000 we drank a few months ago. Popped and poured, shows well immediately with black fruit, licorice and a bit of earthiness that's not the funky variety. Except for what it might lend in softer edges, the merlot component is not evident at this point. Would call it at peak, though it has the tannins to hold here for awhile. An attractive wine that outperforms it's $15 price (well, that's what I paid). Would never be a favorite, but I can at least now understand why those who buy CdF regularly do so.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:57 pm

Jenise wrote:We're calibrated!!

Indeed!
no avatar
User

David N

Rank

Wine geek

Thu May 01, 2008 11:49 pm

by David N » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:52 pm

I was intrigued by this thread. Usually, I find that my preferences are close to those of Jenise.
I bought 3 bottles on release and drank one about a year ago. In my cellar book I had marked down the other two to drink this year and next.So, in case I had misjudged the maturity, I pulled a bottle tonight.
Initially, on the nose, there was a little rubbery-vinyl component, but this soon disappeared. The nose was fairly subdued at first, but developed into showing nice ripe red fruit.
The mouth showed a nice smooth balance of fruit and acid with fully resolved tannins. Medium length finish.
After being open for an hour, the fruit was more prominent and the whole impression was richer.
Overall, this was exactly as I had hoped for, not really complex, but an excellent everyday Bordeaux.
The major problem is that in this government monopoly market the price was $35!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:40 am

David,

Great note.

Horrible price.
no avatar
User

Dick Bueker

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:19 pm

Harrisonburg, VA

by Dick Bueker » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:57 am

I pulled one to check the condition of what I have left. Agree with your notes. I really opened up after 30 min in the glass. I need to try one of the '00s that I have. When we had it previously, I don't remember it being "light'
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:58 am

Dick Bueker wrote:I pulled one to check the condition of what I have left. Agree with your notes. I really opened up after 30 min in the glass. I need to try one of the '00s that I have. When we had it previously, I don't remember it being "light'

Dick, mine might have been an off bottle. It sure didn't have the weight you'd expect from the vintage, though--where the 01 did.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dick Bueker

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:19 pm

Harrisonburg, VA

by Dick Bueker » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:51 am

The '00s that I have now came from a different source than what I had previously. I'll try it this weekend.