The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mostly 90s Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Mostly 90s Bordeaux

by Jay Labrador » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:25 am

Notes from lunch today at Red. All the wines courtesy of Jojo, who did a major cull of his locker and determined these were ready to be dispatched.

Chateau Clinet 1994 - Nice, deep color with browning just showing on the edge. Good nose. Very dry, meaty. Good fruit and even a touch of tannin still lingering. Lovely and lively. At peak, with no further development forthcoming. Impressive and excellent.

Reserve de la Comtesse 1996 - Good nose, and then there's a slightly poopy underlay which disappeared after vigorous swirling. Sweet and soft. Perfect now. Would have been excellent if it weren't for the poop. Otherwise, very good.

Chateau d'Yquem 1994 - Our group has been talking about having Sauternes with foie gras, which we've never done before, so Jojo obliged by sacrificing this bottle. Deep gold. Good, creamy, weighty; but not Yquem rich. Still, an excellent wine, although I didn't particularly enjoy it with the foie gras. I thought it was much better as dessert.

Chateau Leoville Las Cases 1994 - Austere and very dry. Lightish. Soft. Abrupt finish. A letdown.

Chateau Cos d'Estournel 1986 - Very dark and youthful looking. Lovely sweet, floral nose. Leather, black berries, sweet fruit, spicy. Complex and well-balanced. Lots going on here. At peak. Outstanding.

Guigal Hermitage 1998 - There was some debate as to whether this was corked or not. I thought there was a bit of wet cardboard that seemed to come and go. In any case, I thought it tasted OK. Very tannic and fruity sweet. Dry finish. Seemed simple to me after all the great Bordeaux we had . Perhaps a bit more time might make it more interesting. In this company, merely good.

Peter Michael Les Pavots 1998 - Extremely dark. Sweet nose. Chocolate. Sweet and oaky. Tannic. Dry finish. A bit of dried fruit and prune shows up with a bit of time in the glass. Although it suffered when compared to the Bordeauxs, I guess I would have to rate this very good.

4 out of 8 voted the Cos d'Estournel the best wine, 2 voted for the Leoville, and 2 voted for the Clinet. The Cos was my #1 but it was tough choosing between that and the Clinet, which ended up my #2. Of course, the Yquem was in a class of its own and so was not included in the voting.

Many thanks to Jojo for sharing these wines.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

Re: WTN: Mostly 90s Bordeaux

by R Cabrera » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:29 am

Very nice selection of quaffers, Jay … and at the memorable Red, too. Makes me wish I was around whenever Jojo does a cellar cleaning.

I had the ‘86 Cos ages ago and since I don’t remember whether I liked it or not back then, your positive notes make me look forward to a local get-together in the near future with this wine as part of a flight.

The Clinet, which I’ve not had, seems to fall within the generally positive experiences that I had with other ‘94 Right Bank wines that I’ve tasted. It’s a shame about the LLC because I have a bottle of the 94 LLC and “austere … very dry … lightish … soft...” doesn’t enthuse me at all. Might any decanting help?

Thanks for the notes.

RC
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:44 pm

Interesting.

I had the '94 Las Cases late last week (still need to post to the Open Mike), and it was nothing like your bottle. Ours was pop and pour, and it was delicious. Yes it was austere, but it had enough fruit for balance & a long, elegant finish with a kick.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:47 am

R Cabrera wrote:Very nice selection of quaffers, Jay … and at the memorable Red, too. Makes me wish I was around whenever Jojo does a cellar cleaning.

I had the ‘86 Cos ages ago and since I don’t remember whether I liked it or not back then, your positive notes make me look forward to a local get-together in the near future with this wine as part of a flight.

The Clinet, which I’ve not had, seems to fall within the generally positive experiences that I had with other ‘94 Right Bank wines that I’ve tasted. It’s a shame about the LLC because I have a bottle of the 94 LLC and “austere … very dry … lightish … soft...” doesn’t enthuse me at all. Might any decanting help?

Thanks for the notes.

RC

Ramon,

I don't think decanting would help the LLC. Interestingly, 2 others in the group, Vince and Johnny, if I remember right, voted it #1 so I guess my tastes just don't match with theirs in this case.

Jay
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:50 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Interesting.

I had the '94 Las Cases late last week (still need to post to the Open Mike), and it was nothing like your bottle. Ours was pop and pour, and it was delicious. Yes it was austere, but it had enough fruit for balance & a long, elegant finish with a kick.

Hi David,

I guess it's possible it was actually a better bottle than I described but suffered in comparison with the other, more opulent, wines. Anyway, 2 in our group thought it was the best wine we had.
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

NYC

by R Cabrera » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:02 am

Jay Labrador wrote:
R Cabrera wrote:Very nice selection of quaffers, Jay … and at the memorable Red, too. Makes me wish I was around whenever Jojo does a cellar cleaning.

Thanks for the notes.

RC

Ramon,

I don't think decanting would help the LLC. Interestingly, 2 others in the group, Vince and Johnny, if I remember right, voted it #1 so I guess my tastes just don't match with theirs in this case.

Jay

Jay,

I'll just rest on Vince's and Johnny's positive experience with the '94 LLC for now. Thanks.

BTW, we are confirming plans to visit Manila in early October. Are you up for an offline?

RC
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

Chuck Johnson

Rank

Just got here

Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:14 pm

by Chuck Johnson » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:44 pm

Thanks Jay!

Was wondering when was the best time to drink my '86 Cos.

I have some '89 and '90 Leoville Barton. Have you checked these out yet?

Also have been saving some other '90's Bordeaux. Find any others peaking?

Regards
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:43 am

Ramon,

Looking forward to your upcoming visit! I've alerted the gang and they are no doubt cooking up some themes to consider. If there's any particular theme you'd like to do, let us know.

Jay
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:48 am

Chuck Johnson wrote:Thanks Jay!

Was wondering when was the best time to drink my '86 Cos.

I have some '89 and '90 Leoville Barton. Have you checked these out yet?

Also have been saving some other '90's Bordeaux. Find any others peaking?

Regards

I have not tried either Leoville Barton, sorry. I guess any '94 or older should be good to go. I haven't had any 95 Bordeaux or younger recently, unfortunately. I did have a '98 Pavillon Rouge about a year back and it was pretty terrific but still had plenty of life in it.
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

NYC

by R Cabrera » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:36 am

Jay,

I'm posting the offline initiator message in the offline forum.

RC
Ramon Cabrera