The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

In praise of white Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

In praise of white Bordeaux

by AlexR » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:33 am

From the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/30/dinin ... ref=slogin

Unfortunately, as always, the journalist talks almost exclusively about the great growths (and "assimilated" ones, in the case of La Louvière).

Grrrrrrrrr.

I can pick up very good Bordeaux Blanc or Entre-Deux-Mers for 4-6 euros a bottle!
Such wines are a tremendous bargain.
Sadly, they don't seem to make it to the States.
I'm sure there are various reasons for this (poor reputation in past years, lack of recent, fresh vintages, etc., unadventurous importers, etc.).

I regularly see white Bordeaux shot down in flames on wine forums.
However, I have the distinct impression people are not talking about the same wines as me!

When I want a white Bordeaux with a dish of oysters, I go for an Entre Deux Mers ("Entre deux huîtres, Entre-Deux-Mers),
and ***the younger the better***.
OK, while white Burgundy may be "better" overall, Jumpin' Jehosaphat - just compare the price tags!!!

In a word, Bordeaux blanc is: under-rated.

Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

Good importers of white Bordeaux out there?

by Keith M » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:00 am

AlexR wrote:I can pick up very good Bordeaux Blanc or Entre-Deux-Mers for 4-6 euros a bottle!
Such wines are a tremendous bargain.
Sadly, they don't seem to make it to the States.
I'm sure there are various reasons for this (poor reputation in past years, lack of recent, fresh vintages, etc., unadventurous importers, etc.).

Well, Alex doesn't have to convince me of the beauty of white Bordeaux--the few that I have had the opportunity to try have already made me a fan.

I was curious, though, whether US-based lovers of white Bordeaux could point me toward any importers that do a good job of bringing a slice of that broad diversity of quality white Bordeaux that Alex alludes to. Thus far, I've been very happy with bottles brought in by Kermit Lynch in California and Kysela Pere et Fils in Virginia. Are there other (even smaller, more regional) importers doing this kind of work?
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Bordeaux

Re: In praise of white Bordeaux

by AlexR » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:47 am

By the way, the first paragraph says:

"HERE in the sleek, modern cellar at Domaine de Chevalier, a historic estate concealed by a forest just west of town, the custom for tasting is reversed. In most wine regions, the whites serve primarily as palate-fresheners before the serious business of evaluating the reds. But the reds are the prelude here and elsewhere in Pessac-Léognan, in the heart of the historic Bordeaux region once known simply and evocatively as Graves".

That could mean one of two things:
- the whites are better than the reds
- it is commonplace to taste white wines after reds in Bordeaux, on the assumption that this is best for the taste buds

Which do you think the journalist means?

Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:21 am

Alex, can you give a few good QPR names from the Carrefour hypermarket range of dry white Bordeaux? They are probably stocked in their shops here too.
Tim York
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:24 am

Tim,

I'll get back to you on that.

I will be in Bordeaux all summer and will have the time to do some leisurely wine shopping :-).

All the best,
Alex
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:37 am

AlexR wrote:I can pick up very good Bordeaux Blanc or Entre-Deux-Mers for 4-6 euros a bottle!
Such wines are a tremendous bargain...When I want a white Bordeaux with a dish of oysters, I go for an Entre Deux Mers

We have Muscadet for that :D

But, with all the pressure on the dollar and the US economy in general, I am sure importers will be increasingly keen to find 'new' lost cost wines.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:11 am

i too love white bordeaux and think there is a pretty decent selection here in the US. noone talks about them which may give the impression they don't exist. they are almost always reasonably priced - white graves and pessacs in the low teens are not uncommon. a wide range of importers. i'll have to do a survey of what is currently available and let you all know.

about tasting red before white. i remember tom stevenson doing that in his mass tastings. never got a clear idea of why. apparently its a 'european' thing.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:17 am

David Creighton wrote:about tasting red before white. i remember tom stevenson doing that in his mass tastings. never got a clear idea of why. apparently its a 'european' thing.

My impression was that the high acids in some white wines can make it difficult to taste red wines afterwards.

But I don't think it is a 'European' thing.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:35 am

Rahsaan wrote:My impression was that the high acids in some white wines can make it difficult to taste red wines afterwards.

The oily and intense character of some whites (Musar, Rhones) also makes the texture such that I prefer them after reds.

AlexR wrote:I regularly see white Bordeaux shot down in flames on wine forums.

I don't regularily see notes on white Bx, but what I do see doesn't get shot down in flames. In fact, what I have noticed seems to be generally quite well received.

-O
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:10 am

Otto,

On this very forum, I was told that white Bordeaux was a bunch of (expletive deleted) in a long thread, and no one came to my spirited defense.

I was also told emphatically that Alsace had clearly dethroned white Bordeaux in the United States.

But you must have been knee-high to a grasshopper at the time...

Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:55 am

AlexR wrote:Otto,

On this very forum, I was told that white Bordeaux was a bunch of (expletive deleted) in a long thread, and no one came to my spirited defense.

I was also told emphatically that Alsace had clearly dethroned white Bordeaux in the United States.

But you must have been knee-high to a grasshopper at the time...

Alex,
I mistrust all categorical statements. I have indeed had some very good experiences with white Bdx here in the US, but have also had a truckload of bland, overcropped plonk labeled as white Bdx. Likely, this is a function of which wines get imported to the US and get any sort of wide distribution (since I don't live in NYC). Nonetheless, my favorite white Bdx experience was indeed an Entre-deux-Mers that I got for $4-5 a decade or so ago and I wish I could find more wines like that today.

Mark Lipton