The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN /Wine Advisor: Tasting Potpourri

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

WTN /Wine Advisor: Tasting Potpourri

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:40 pm

Tasting Potpourri

As we move into late summer, many wine distributors are showing off their annual new-release portfolios at trade and public tastings.

Today let's share a few tasting notes from a recent event. It was my good fortune to wangle an invitation to the local presentation of the "2008 Grand Portfolio Tasting" by Vanguard Wines a regional importer based in Northern Kentucky.

Vanguard distributes some very interesting wines - the kind of offbeat grape varieties and less-familiar wine regions that I love, many of them in the affordable range - in Kentucky and Ohio. Naturally when I was offered a chance to attend the tasting in Louisville's striking 21c Museum Hotel, I was so there, as the youngsters say.

A large downstairs gallery room in the artful hotel was circled by tables, with a total of 32 pouring stations staffed by winery or distributor reps - in a few cases, the actual wine maker, such as Au Bon Climat's Jim Clendenen, Christian Berthet-Rayne of the Chateauneuf-du-Pape property that bears their name, and Erika Ribaldi of Sicily's Tenuta di Trinoro and Passopisciaro.

It appeared that about 150 to 200 wines were being poured. Even with spit buckets, no thanks! I took my time, socialized with wine-and-food-business pals on the scene, and discreetly sampled a relatively small proportion of wines that for one reason or another caught my eye.

Most of these wines will be in national distribution, perhaps via other regional distributors in different parts of the country. I've passed over a few that didn't strike my fancy; all of the wines listed below have my recommendation and are well worth seeking out.

First, though, let's address an obvious question: Can you get into one of these tastings? The answer is not so simple, and likely varies depending on the hosts and organizers and perhaps local law and custom.

Generally speaking, the purpose of a distributor portfolio tasting is to sell wine, and the primary guests are wine retailers and restaurateurs who will consider purchasing wines in quality for their businesses. Wine writers are often invited - distributors rarely object to publicity, although it should be noted that I am under no obligation (and would not accept an obligation) to speak well of a wine I didn't enjoy.

But how about "civilians"? My best advice, if you are a regular customer and buy wine in reasonable amounts from a quality local wine shop, or if you're friendly with the sommelier or wine guy at a good restaurant that you patronize regularly and buy wines from the list, ask if they can wangle an invitation to a tasting for you. Chances are, assuming you're a good customer, you can make it work. If you try it, good luck ... and let me know how you fare.

Now, a quick list of short-form notes on some of my favorites from yesterday's Vanguard Wines tasting.

Au Bon Climat 2006 Pinot Noir "La Bauge Au-dessus" This Central Coast winery's French name signals a commitment rare for its region: Winemaker Clendenen seeks to extract the character of Pinot Noir fruit in all his reds (and quality Chardonnay in his whites). If not exactly "Burgundian," his wines invariably please me with their unlikely blend of power and elegance, and this first-rate red - brightly acidic and shimmering with pure Pinot fruit - was a winner for me.

Domaine Serene's 2005 Evenstad Pinot Noir Reserve and 2005 Jerusalem Hill Pinot Noir were both delights from a favorite Oregon winery, and for similar reasons: Lovely, balanced, velvety and elegant, Serene's reds consistently show me a pure, delicious expression of Pinot Noir without going over the top into that "blockbuster" style that fails to impress me. 2005 Syrah Rockblock Seven Hills, "Rockblock" being Serene's alternate label for Syrah, was structured and impressive, but as I jokingly told Michelle Farkas, Serene's national sales manager, "Please don't ever stop making Pinot." She reassured me.

Domaine Berthet-Rayne 2006 Chateauneuf-du-Pape, my first taste of the '06 vintage from this favorite appellation, was really a delight. M. Berthet-Rayne told me that a major critic has declared this wine "modern" in style. As he and I sipped together, we caught each other's eyes and quietly snickered. This is classic, traditional Chateauneuf, red berries and earth, powerful but balanced and elegant. I want some.

At Ramey Wines, another of the North Coast California wineries that I admire for its commitment to tradition and elegance, I tried two top reds from a broad list of temptations. Ramey 2005 "Claret," a mix of all five Bordeaux red varieties plus a dollop of Syrah, was loaded with ripe but elegant black fruit and a rich, complex flavor; its 14% alcohol provided texture but neither harshness nor heat. 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon Larkmead, a single-vineyard blend of Cabernets Sauvignon and Franc, Merlot and Petite Verdot. Surely an ager, it's nonetheless showing beautifully now, rich black fruit and earthy minerality with great balance and length.

Tenuta di Trinoro from Tuscany and its Sicilian sibling Passopisciaro offered wines that delightfully break from the growing "international" standard with idiosyncratic but delicious flavors. Trinoro 2005 "Le Cupole" Rosso Toscana was an excellent expression of Tuscan red, all about dry cherry fruit and subtle spice. The Sicilian 2005 Passopisciaro was a new one on me, made from the Nerello Mascalese variety. It's pale ruby in color, hardly darker than a rosé, but there's plenty of oomph on the nose and palate. Ripe cherries and tart acidity, full body and maybe just a hint of sweetness in a firm, rather high-alcohol package made it seem like a rare blend of something from Sicily and something from, yes, Burgundy. Another wine here, 2006 Franchetti from Tuscany, was impressive but a little less to my preferred style: deep and dark, licorice and menthol over very ripe black fruit, a big boy of a modern-style wine.

Another Italian booth, Fattoria di Milziade Antano, drew me in with hope of a taste of Sagrantino. None was to be had, alas, but the firm's more affordable 2004 Antano Montefalco Rosso was the next-best thing, offering a blend of Sagrantino with Merlot, I believe the man said. In any case, it was a lovely wine, cherries and spice and a whiff of tobacco leaf, ripe but balanced with good acidity and a distinct edge of tannin.

I finished my round at the table of Vintage '59 Imports, where I told owner Roy Cloud that I have yet to run into an item in his portfolio that I didn't like ... and they're almost invariably in the affordable range. Quickly told, we tasted 2007 Chateau Coupe Roses "Champ de Roy", an intriguing white-varietal blend that included a floral blast of Muscat; vinified crisp and dry, it ends with a pleasantly bitter-almond finish. 2007 Chateau Coupe Roses Rosé was a pale pink in color, but there was nothing pale about its very-berry, intense berry and herbal flavor. A fine rosé. 2003 Monplaisir Cuvee Prestige Cahors was by no means a lighter-style modern Cahors but takes us back to the times when this Southwestern French region's Malbec-based reds were nicknamed "black wine." 2006 Montirius Cotes du Rhone was just plain delicious, loads of berry fruit, fresh and ripe, with a distinct "beef blood" note that's appetizing, not unpleasant - think rare steak - purportedly from iron in the vineyard soil. This table tasting wound up with two exceptional, offbeat Alsatians: Marc Tempe 2006 Alliance, which Cloud said was a Chasselas and Gewurztraminer blend, a very odd but delicious combo that came across floral and full and very close to dry. Marc Tempe 2005 Zellenberg Pinot Blanc might have been a little reductive at first, but soon opened up to a crisp, aromatic character that struck me as an amazing partner with shellfish.

For more information on Vanguard Wines, see the company Website,
http://www.vanguardwines.com

FIND THESE WINES ONLINE:
Find vendors and check prices for wines of interest on Wine-Searcher.com:
http://www.wine-searcher.com/?referring_site=WLP

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: WTN /Wine Advisor: Tasting Potpourri

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:13 pm

Robin, did you see any indication of cost for any of these?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:14 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Robin, did you see any indication of cost for any of these?

Since it was a trade event, the books listed Kentucky and Ohio wholesale and case wholesale. I decided rather than try to calculate it into an approximation of average national retail, it was better just to give the Wine-Searcher link.

If anybody wants to know, though, sing out specific wines, and I'll tell you the wholesale and guess at the retail for you. :)
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:16 pm

Robin Garr wrote:If anybody wants to know, though, sing out specific wines, and I'll tell you the wholesale and guess at the retail for you. :)

The ones you liked..... :wink:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:58 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:The ones you liked..... :wink:

That would be all of them!

Here are some random guesses at the retail on some I particularly enjoyed, based on the assumption that a reasonable retailer will look for about 1 1/2 times his wholesale on the shelf price:

ABC Bauge au-Dessus Pinot Noir, $29.55 Kentucky wholesale, maybe $45 to $55 retail depending on the mendacity of the retailer.

Domaine Serene Evanstad, $47.94 wholesale, maybe $70 or up retail.

Domaine Serene Jerusalem Hill, $66.59 wholesale, "very limited" but maybe $100 retail.

Berthet-Rayne 2006 Chateauneuf-du-Pape "Tradition", $27.18 wholesale, maybe $40 or a little over retail.

Raney 2005 Larkmead, $60.47 wholesale, maybe $90 retail.

2005 Passopisiaro, $30.96 wholesale, maybe $45 retail. Sorry, it was a fun wine and a nice assistant winemaker, but I'm having a little trouble with that.

Antano 2004 Montefalco Rosso, $20.16 wholesale, maybe $30ish at retail.

Montirius 2006 Cotes du Rhone, $11.19 wholesale, mid-teens retail. Back up the truck.

Marc Tempe Alliance, $15.08 wholesale, maybe low $20s retail.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote:[ The Sicilian 2005 Passopisiaro was a new one on me, made from the <i>Nerello Mascalese</i> variety. It's pale ruby in color, hardly darker than a ros&eacute;, but there's plenty of oomph on the nose and palate. Ripe cherries and tart acidity, full body and maybe just a hint of sweetness in a firm, rather high-alcohol package made it seem like a rare blend of something from Sicily and something from, yes, Burgundy.

You missed a 'c', Robin : Passopisciaro :wink: I posted on the 2004 of this (with perhaps more descriptors) and you are spot on.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:03 pm

Mark S wrote:You missed a 'c', Robin : Passopisciaro :wink: I posted on the 2004 of this (with perhaps more descriptors) and you are spot on.

Aw, crap! I was hoping I could blame the importer's book, but I made the mistake without outside aid. Thanks for the pointer, Mark, and for the TN reminder. I'll search for it.

I generally don't try for extensive descriptors at this kind of giant booth tasting, by the way. Better to just get a broad impression - particularly "Good," "Great" or "Back up the Truck" and then move on - saving the more lyrical language for the wines that I report from home, where I've got hours to taste them first analytically, then with appropriate food, again relaxing after dinner and (sometimes) 24 hours later.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:32 pm

Thanks, Robin!

Sadly only a couple there in my normal price range. :(
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:07 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Thanks, Robin!

Sadly only a couple there in my normal price range. :(

Back up the truck on that Montirius ... that's what I'm gonna do! :D The Tempe white was pretty fair QPR, too.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:39 pm

Montirius 2006 Cotes du Rhone
Timely that you should mention Montirius, Robin. I was just evaluating a wine list for a restaurant visit this weekend and they have a '99 Montirius Vacqueyras at a seemingly reasonable price. Have you had other wines from these guys?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:49 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:
Montirius 2006 Cotes du Rhone
Timely that you should mention Montirius, Robin. I was just evaluating a wine list for a restaurant visit this weekend and they have a '99 Montirius Vacqueyras at a seemingly reasonable price. Have you had other wines from these guys?

I have. They have a big property in Vacqueyras and I think one of the other villages in addition to the Cotes du Rhone. Without specific reference to the 1999, which I don't recall tasting and certainly not recently, I see it as an easy buy if the price is right.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:01 pm

Thanks Robin! That's all I need to hear. That will probably be my choice if we go red (depending of food choices). Clos St Hune 2000 at a few percent over retail is pretty tempting too even if it is way too young.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:24 pm

Robin, I'd fix this for you if I knew what it was supposed to be, but I don't so you'll need to fix it yourself: 2007 Chateau Coupe Roses Ros&eacute; was a pale pink in color.

Bill and Robin, re the 99 Montirius Vacqueyras, a bottle purchased and drunk locally about four years ago set off a county-wide search for another bottle, to no avail but it was THAT good. Had another bottle off the list at Bishops in Vancouver about two years later that appeared quite older and fading. That said, I believe someone else here posted on that wine recently, Bill Spohn maybe? Anyway, worth looking at other's opinions, either here or on Cellar Tracker.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:49 pm

Jenise, I'm finding lots of notes on the '99 Gigondas but few on the Vacqueyras. Still hunting.

ahh, just found a Bill S note from 2005 on the Vac. (more hunting)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:38 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Raney 2005 Larkmead, $60.47 wholesale, maybe $90 retail.

Heh, heh...Raney...watch out for the drunken tasting notes. :twisted:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:47 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Heh, heh...Raney...watch out for the drunken tasting notes. :twisted:

Sheesh! I sure hope I had it right as "Ramey" in the original! Darn good CalCab, by the way, the kind I still like.
no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Louisville, KY

by Bob Hower » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:01 pm

Boy am I jealous! Right here in River City and I knew nothing about it. :( Any idea when these might be available for sale to the public, Robin?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:04 am

Bob Hower wrote:Boy am I jealous! Right here in River City and I knew nothing about it. :( Any idea when these might be available for sale to the public, Robin?

Hey, Bob, next time I hear about a trade tasting, let me see what I can do for you ...

As for the wines, it's kind of unpredictable. This portfolio tasting was for the primary purpose of introducing local retailers and restaurateurs to Vanguard's new releases, in hope they will buy buy buy. I suspect (based on people I saw there) that there was a lot of restaurant interest in the higher-end wines.

Bottom line, the trade had the opportunity to place orders; the wines are generally available at Vanguard's offices in Northern Kentucky, and it shouldn't take a terribly long time for them to come through the pipeline. I'd guess they'll start turning up locally by early fall ... but that's just a guess. Also note that sales are optional, and it's always possible that some of the wines just won't get picked up by Louisville vendors. But I'm counting on that cheap Montirius Rhone!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:51 am

Jenise wrote:Robin, I'd fix this for you if I knew what it was supposed to be, but I don't so you'll need to fix it yourself: 2007 Chateau Coupe Roses Ros&eacute; was a pale pink in color.

Oops, sorry ... I keep forgetting that one of the few really, really stupid decisions made by the developers of the phpBB3 update was to ban the use of HTML. That's coding for é. When I send out the Wine Advisor, I do it in standard HTML. Sometimes when I cross-post to the forum, I forget to translate. Feh!
no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Louisville, KY

by Bob Hower » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:42 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Bob Hower wrote:Boy am I jealous! Right here in River City and I knew nothing about it. :( Any idea when these might be available for sale to the public, Robin?

Hey, Bob, next time I hear about a trade tasting, let me see what I can do for you ...

Robin that would be most appreciated. In the meantime, I'll keep my ear to the ground and put some pressure on some of my favorite retailers to include me in similar events.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:01 am

Bob Hower wrote:Robin that would be most appreciated. In the meantime, I'll keep my ear to the ground and put some pressure on some of my favorite retailers to include me in similar events.

Bob, if you're comfortable doing so, drop me an Email or PM with your Email and, if you wish, phone contact. As neighbors, we really ought to get together for a glass of wine (or shoot some photos) anyway!