The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Cape Mentelle Cabernet Sauvignon 1983

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: Cape Mentelle Cabernet Sauvignon 1983

by David Lole » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:59 am

David Hohnen, founding father of this eminent Margaret River winery, would surely be massively proud of this wine.

Replicating the standard of a superior classed growth from Bordeaux of the same era, perhaps more akin to a 1982 than a 1983, this Outstanding wine displays a deep youthful ruby colour with only minimal aging revealed in the very outer edges. Upon opening the wine was all creosote, duck pond and leafy greens, but, given sufficient oxygen, transformed into what I could only describe as a classical mature Claret bouquet. Harbouring a dazzling array of nuance - cigar box, currants, herbs, capsicum, sandalwood, sweet earth, juicy black plums and umpteen other skerricks of this and that one could wax lyrical about, I could not help but to go back to the bouquet time and time again as the last vestiges of the bottle remained in the glass. To pour any more of this down the gullet was becoming increasingly difficult - for fear of allowing the incredible complexity of the nose to disappear!

If anything the palate didn’t quite scale the same height but I cannot offer any faults or criticism. Beautifully honed (sorry about the pun), nicely compact, wonderfully integrated with plenty of juicy curranty fruit, a superb herbaceous streak, terrific line, finely crafted tannin structure, particularly good acid cut, good length - what else can one ask for? If such a well-crafted and -preserved wine can be so intact after 25 years (and in this case, from someone unknown’s cellar and recently purchased for a mere 50 bucks), I wonder what our more talented winemakers could do with of our better viticultural regions and their suited grape varieties? So delighted am I in trying this great example of Australian Cabernet Sauvignon, I have no hesitation in awarding it 93 points. If all other bottles of this were of a similar standard I suggest the wine could last for another 10 years. I hope David still has some of this stashed away for very special occasions!
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Cape Mentelle Cabernet Sauvignon 1983

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:24 am

Wow. Sounds great. I have really liked Cape Mentelle wines.
When was this winery established?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:36 am

David, travelling through China two years ago we found a bottle of '01 Cape Mentelle CS in the back of a refrigerated case in the gift shop at the Shanghai Westin (along with a '96 Climens and a number of other good finds, and we bought them all for our impending 11 day trip up the Yangtze River). I've completely forgotten all the wines but these two, so much did they stand out. Cape Mentelle is a winery I've been reading about for years and just never got around to tasting, something that bottle made me realize had been a big mistake.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:40 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Wow. Sounds great. I have really liked Cape Mentelle wines.

First vines planted in 1969, sir. Winery established 1970, I believe. First vintage 1976. Also famous for establishing Cloudy Bay in NZ.

Here's a recent link - http://www.wineanorak.com/davidhohneninterview.htm
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:36 pm

David Lole wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Wow. Sounds great. I have really liked Cape Mentelle wines.

First vines planted in 1969, sir. Winery established 1970, I believe. First vintage 1976. Also famous for establishing Cloudy Bay in NZ.

Here's a recent link - http://www.wineanorak.com/davidhohneninterview.htm

A-Ha! No wonder the labels look so similar!
I had no idea the winery was that old. I've had 2 of their wines in the past and liked them well enough to remember them.

I like tasting notes like yours, combining tasting with sentimentality and information. Well done!