The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Embarassment of Riches (Trimbach, LLC, Musar, etc.)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Embarassment of Riches (Trimbach, LLC, Musar, etc.)

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:28 am

I went to dinner with 3 of my wine buddies last night. You know you have a lot of good wine when a bottle of 1987 Vega Sicilia Unico goes unopened.

With the appetizers:

2001 Trimbach Riesling Cuvée Frédéric Emile
Predictably tight and stern, but great minerality and depth here. Yet another great edition of this classic wine. This will need 10+ years.

2001 Trimbach Riesling Cuvée Frédéric Emile 375th Anniversary
I'm not exactly certain what the difference is between this wine and the regular, but the aromatic and taste differences are clear. This is much richer on both the nose and the palate, more immediately expressive and thus easier to drink, but still powerful, deep, minerally and worthy of decades in the cellar. It reminds me a lot of some of the VT versions of CFE I have tasted in the past, and it's quite dry tasting (no shock there).

As if that wasn't good enough, we then had to puzzle through which red wines to open for 4 people. I had every intention of opening the '87 Unico, but only if it was going to be totally finished. With as many wines as we had on offer I was doubtful of that (and would need to get home!), so it slipped back into my bag. We did not lack for great wine though.

1982 Chateau Figeac
Hmm...no lack of great wine indeed. I love Figeac, as it's a more elegant expression of St. Emilion. This was no exception, with minerals, red fruit & saddle leather touched by a bit of funky earth. Oh yum. Silky and just fruity enough to be a fine partner for my braised short ribs. Delicious, elegant and satisfying.

1990 Chateau Leoville Las Cases
Power. This wine is muscular, still quite tannic & built for long and rewarding aging. It's delicious right now (WOTN for me), but also holds substantial promise for the future. This was an even better partner for the food, as the richness of the wine played well with the richness of the accompanying sauce.

1990 Giacomo Conterno Barolo
Initially a bit bottle sick, this took some time to open into an aromatically expressive (though not quite what I thought it should be) Barolo that had a hard time standing in the shadow of the Las Cases. Still, on its own there was wonderful fruit, floral qualities & great length. I do think it might have been a bit touched by heat at some point though.

1995 Chateau Musar
This should have been served alongside the Figeac, as they both had that same funky, earthy quality that I just loved. The Musar had sweeter (almost candied) & brighter fruit than the Figeac (predictable) and lots of structure thus more upside, but it was a delicious drink last night. I had never had a Musar that I really liked before last night.

1991 Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon
Lousy cork. Great wine. This was everything I would want in Cal Cab. Black fruit, silky tannins, warm, clean earth & a long, fruit filled finish. Just delicious. This was another wine that really worked well with the short ribs.

And that was that. Next time the Unico.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Embarassment of Riches (Trimbach, LLC, Musar, etc.)

by Rahsaan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:38 am

David M. Bueker wrote:1995 Chateau MusarI had never had a Musar that I really liked before last night..

i have also never been really impressed with Musar and even the few older examples that I have enjoyed have not struck me as 'great' wine but rather as interesting curiosity wine that can be more or less appreciated depending on personal tastes.

That said, did you find this 95 to stand equal with the other top-notch bottles you opened?
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:10 am

David, at our last outting I may have mentioned that I've been asked to bring some Alsace wines to a dinner this August. I'm leaning toward the '01 CFE and a ZH Gewurz. Any suggestions on how to best present the CFE: pop and pour, a few hours in an open bottle or decanting?

Thanks for the notes.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:13 am

Oh dear, when I think that I broke 2 bottles of 1990 Léoville Las Cases once when a wine rack collapsed...

Alex R.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:37 am

Rahsaan wrote:I have also never been really impressed with Musar and even the few older examples that I have enjoyed have not struck me as 'great' wine but rather as interesting curiosity wine that can be more or less appreciated depending on personal tastes.

That said, did you find this 95 to stand equal with the other top-notch bottles you opened?

It was a totally different expression. I thought it stood up well, but the Las Cases was the clear frontrunner.

Dan Donahue wrote: I'm leaning toward the '01 CFE and a ZH Gewurz. Any suggestions on how to best present the CFE: pop and pour, a few hours in an open bottle or decanting?

I think you should open it, give it 30 mins to an hour & then just pour it. I don't think you'll be able to coax it along much. It may be tight, but it's still very tasty.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:09 pm

I'm not exactly certain what the difference is between this wine and the regular,
I'm sure Mr. Hammer would know? Have you had the '01 VT yet? I've squirreled away the few 375's I've bought and haven't opened it or the regular yet. I'm curious about this anniversary edition as I've never heard of it and I wonder how it compares with the regular and VT.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:12 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:...did you find this 95 to stand equal with the other top-notch bottles you opened?

It was a totally different expression. I thought it stood up well, but the Las Cases was the clear frontrunner..

Well, good for Musar!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:18 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:
I'm not exactly certain what the difference is between this wine and the regular,
I'm sure Mr. Hammer would know? Have you had the '01 VT yet? I've squirreled away the few 375's I've bought and haven't opened it or the regular yet. I'm curious about this anniversary edition as I've never heard of it and I wonder how it compares with the regular and VT.

I checked Mr. Hammer's notes to no avail. I don't have any of the VT (yet), but I've squirreled away plenty of the 375th cuvee.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:22 pm

I'm envious.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:20 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Bill Buitenhuys wrote:

I checked Mr. Hammer's notes to no avail. I don't have any of the VT (yet), but I've squirreled away plenty of the 375th cuvee.

Does this mean that we can expect to see his take on the wines in, say, 3-4 years? :P

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:23 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Does this mean that we can expect to see his take on the wines in, say, 3-4 years? :P

Years? Decades perhaps.