The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Fifth Annual All Terrine Event

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Fifth Annual All Terrine Event

by Bill Spohn » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:37 am

Having just completed my main dish for T5, I was looking back on previous notes and realized I had a complete set along with pictures from the notes I'd posted each year. I'll get around to posting T5 results as soon as I can move after the event tomorrow (presently doing a sun dance as the weather is inclement in the Pacific Northwest right now and we like to do these al fresco).

I thought it might be of interest, though, to collect the previous 4 years worth of pics and wines in one place, so I did that and posted it as a pdf document that you can take a look at here if you are interested: http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/f/Terrines_2004_to_2007.pdf

Takes a few seconds to load as there are 28 pages of cookery and wines.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Fifth Annual All Terrine Event

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:48 am

Thanks for posting this, Bill. I've long been intrigued by this event!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:04 am

I wish I'd had the foresight to compile a recipe book, but many (most?) times, we are combining ideas from different recipes or coming up with them de novo. At least I kept notes and remembered to take pictures for all of them.

Going back over the events, I am struck by how inventive the participants have been - a hard record to live up to.

The focus isn't the wines per se, but how the wines complement the food, and we've had lots of experimentation because each cook gets to try two different wines to see what works best.

Our own Jenise is being particularly daring this year and occupies the pivotal point between white and red wine dishes - she is presenting one of each wine so we can play around with those very diferent matchings. Can't wait!

If the weather improves we intend to punctuate the meal with rounds of the Great Bocce Challenge as well, sporting people that we are.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:02 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Our own Jenise is being particularly daring this year and occupies the pivotal point between white and red wine dishes - she is presenting one of each wine so we can play around with those very diferent matchings. Can't wait!

I love being in the pivot seat. My 'act' is overwith relatively early on, the timing for a bathroom break couldn't be better, and then I get to relax and enjoy three more courses!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:03 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Our own Jenise is being particularly daring this year and occupies the pivotal point between white and red wine dishes - she is presenting one of each wine so we can play around with those very diferent matchings. Can't wait!

If the weather improves we intend to punctuate the meal with rounds of the Great Bocce Challenge as well, sporting people that we are.

I look forward to seeing your report, Bill. Along with foie fools, it's one of the vicarious highlights of the vinous year.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:23 pm

That reminds me, Mark - I have a kilo of goose foie gras that I must get around to using. Maybe another Foie Fools event is in the cards for later this Fall.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:04 pm

Bill, what fun to go back through the history.

I'd forgotten all about the disastrous avocado terrines last year that I finally abandoned for the mushroom terrine, which worked out quite well in addition to giving me an excuse to make that "asparagus baklava" an idea I borrowed from one of Seattle's best restaurants, The Herb Farm. I'd also forgotten the making that belgian endive tarte tatin another year, and I had to laugh at your picture of my seafood terrine from T1--it's upside down, the terrine anyway, not neccessarily the picture. All the colored bits set into the gelatine were supposed to depict an acquarium scene, a fish swimming among reeds and corals. I've always wanted to do that one again and do a better job with the decoration--that was something I made up on the fly and hadn't done anything like it before. I should have practiced on a dummy version first!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:11 pm

Jenise wrote: I'd also forgotten the making that belgian endive tarte tatin another year, and I had to laugh at your picture of my seafood terrine from T1--it's upside down, the terrine anyway, not neccessarily the picture. All the colored bits set into the gelatine were supposed to depict an acquarium scene, a fish swimming among reeds and corals. I've always wanted to do that one again and do a better job with the decoration--that was something I made up on the fly and hadn't done anything like it before. I should have practiced on a dummy version first!

That endive tart was seriously good - you can make that again any time (I recently did a similar one).

The fishies might be Upside-down fish.....as an ex-aquarist, I can tell you that i used to have some catfish that customarily took a topsy turvy view of the world. Image

If we move into some crusted charcuterie in future events (as you are this time) you'll be able to decorate them as elaborately as you'd like! I've seen French banquet food that displays a whole tableau on a jambon en croute or some such.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:29 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:That endive tart was seriously good - you can make that again any time (I recently did a similar one).

I read your description of that and wondered if mine had given you the idea. It was something I picked up in Europe--saw the name on a menu (as endive and red onion tarte tatin) and dreamed of what it might have been for weeks afterward. Finally ended up blowing through my allowance :) buying endive to create my own version. I don't make it as often as I should. It's dawning on me that I'm starting to specialize, if that's the right word, in a little extra carbohydrate treat in accompaniament to my terrines. Tommorrow's no exception!

The fishies might be Upside-down fish.....as an ex-aquarist, I can tell you that i used to have some catfish that customarily took a topsy turvy view of the world.

Okay, so explain why the coral's overhead. :shock:

If we move into some crusted charcuterie in future events (as you are this time) you'll be able to decorate them as elaborately as you'd like! I've seen French banquet food that displays a whole tableau on a jambon en croute or some such.

I'm going to be so ready for that. I've had a great time doing this one.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:56 pm

Jenise wrote:Okay, so explain why the coral's overhead. :shock:

That is clearly floating seaweed.......
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:01 pm

While I am eating a humble pizza Margherita and drinking a cheap red table wine, you are all being wowed by the creativity of the T5 participants with wines to match.

I expect a full report tomorrow. 8)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:37 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:While I am eating a humble pizza Margherita and drinking a cheap red table wine, you are all being wowed by the creativity of the T5 participants with wines to match.

I expect a full report tomorrow. 8)

And so you shall. The participants have just wandered off home. Jenise did a great job on hers. Notes in the morning when I am up! Promise.