The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: One wine at West End in DC

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

WTN: One wine at West End in DC

by Keith M » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:23 pm

Only one wine consumed (see below), but my experiences at a new (to me) DC restaurant . . .

A few weeks ago, my parents were visiting me in the environs of Washington, DC, and a lazy summer Sunday evening called for a relaxed dinner. A very good source had recommended the West End Bistro in DC--there was a bit of a story regarding the chef's connection to another high profile restaurant (but, 1. I don't really follow the celebrity chef carousel, and, 2. I absolutely refuse to look at West End Bistro's website ever again to acquire any info about the chef--it demonstrates dizzying heights of obnoxious/information-poor website design that, alas, seem common in that industry).

The restaurant, however provided a very pleasing experience. The space is fantastic--stunning use of modern design/über-urban approach. This should look corporate to me, but it didn't--I thought the place was a visual treat. Cool light fixtures, imposing bar, huge windows looking out on the sidewalk, making it feel like a sidewalk cafe from the inside, open kitchen, different levels within the same floor, and so on. My parents loved the ambiance and the 'urban feel' to the place that they don't experience at home. The service was proper and prompt and the food was all very good (except for the coffee which was an abomination before God; I don't know why I ever trying getting a cup of coffee in a restaurant to finish a meal).

We started by sharing a heaping pile of Blue Bay Mussels with chorizo and white wine broth. Everything was excellent here, chorizo was very tasty and the mussels were quite tender. The salads (I love salads) were absolutely outstanding. My mom had the house salad with hearts of romaine and garlic vinaigrette, while I had the arugula and baby artichoke salad with parmesan, pistachios and croutons. Fantastic combination of flavors and all ingredients were of stunning quality.

The main course was all tasty. My mom had the halibut, while I had skate in brown butter with braised endives. My dad had the Pineland Farm Beef Tenderloin. Tastes, flavors and textures were all very impressive--though I must admit I do so much grilling of fish during the summer at home that I very strongly prefer the texture I get off of the grill to the oiliness that was evident in the roasted fish at the restaurant--though I suppose that can be a function of the type of fish as well. Suffice to say that I loved the flavors, but yearned for something a bit less slithery and a bit more of a bite.

Meanwhile I was sipping on a glass of 2006 Bottega Vinaia Pinot Grigio Trentino (Trentino DOC, Trentino-Alto Adige, northeastern Italy) – mouthfeel has great flow, taste solid, great and soft fruit, just bare touch of sweet, wonderful drying spice, mineral with lots of flavor, the finish rocks, a great food wine, $10 for a glass. Great match for the fish (and the mussels as well). Alas, don't remember much about the wine list--seemed decent enough.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: WTN: One wine at West End in DC

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:40 pm

Thanks for the review, Keith.

One of my favorite things about being an adult has been being able to treat my parents to something they haven't had the chance to try before, whether that's food, wine, or a particular activity.

And I agree about most restaurant coffee. I have stopped bothering. :?
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

Re: WTN: One wine at West End in DC

by Keith M » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:19 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:One of my favorite things about being an adult has been being able to treat my parents to something they haven't had the chance to try before, whether that's food, wine, or a particular activity.

Indeed. And for me, it gives me a reason to seek out things I think they might like and that I learn lots more about as a result--as with my seeking out all sorts of rosé before I spend time with my mom!