The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Continuing exploration of Oberhauser Brucke, wtn

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Vandegriff

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:33 am

Trinidad, CA

Continuing exploration of Oberhauser Brucke, wtn

by Jim Vandegriff » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:40 pm

After last weeks 2002 Donnhoff spatlese bottling, tonight I tried the 2000 spatlese bottling. A lovely wine, peaches and stones on the nose, deep yellow fruit flavors with good acidity. One of those wines I just want more of. It is a bit softer than usual from this vineyard and winemaker, but that is a function of this vintage. It is squeaky clean though, and delicious. The sugar is blending in, and I would guess it at its peak about now. No danger of decline though. An excellent bottle for the vintage, or any vintage. This wine is so prototypically Donnhoff to me - extremely well balanced, delicious, elegant, rich. While the current vintages are getting out of my price range, I may just have to stretch to include them. Great stuff, 90 pts for those who keep score, and AP# 0701. Enjoying the exploration, Jim
in Trinidad, CA, by the sea
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Continuing exploration of Oberhauser Brucke, wtn

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:38 am

Donnhoff is one of the few who made truly great wines in 2000. I'm also a huge Brucke fan (and am finally finding the current prices to be a stretch), but you can do very well with some of the less expensive wines in the Donnhoff portfolio. The Norheimer Kirschheck especially is a great "bargain" in terms of Donnhoff.
Decisions are made by those who show up