The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Schmooze with Randall Graham at Manresa

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Schmooze with Randall Graham at Manresa

by wnissen » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:55 pm

Two of the Bay Area's most celebrated biodynamicists are teaming up for a wine dinner at Manresa in Los Gatos, Calif. on Sunday 7 Sep.

http://manresarestaurant.blogspot.com/2008/08/dinner-with-randall-grahm.html

A wine reception plus four courses including wine but not tax or gratuity for US$250 (EUR65). Really expensive, but the restaurant only seats 68 people, so this is your chance to buttonhole Randall Graham and try to talk some sense into him. Or sample his new terroir-based wines now that he's sold off the bulk of his operation.

I would probably splurge and go, but I'll be eating airline phood on a cross-country flight. From Newark. With a 6-month-old baby. Eeek.

Disclaimer: I don't have a business relationship with Manresa, but we go there a few times a year and they know us by name.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Schmooze with Randall Graham at Manresa

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:03 pm

I'll be nowhere near, but will say my one meal at Manresa was magnificent.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:36 pm

Same here--went to Manresa when visiting friends in San Jose last year. Had a superb meal.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:58 pm

As you both have noted, Manresa is a truly outstanding restaurant. Perhaps I should have mentioned that fact. They also do an excellent job pairing food-friendly wines to show off the cuisine, so for someone's first visit I'd recommend skipping any special event and just going for the tasting menu with its wines.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Maybe...MaybeNot...

by TomHill » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:56 am

wnissen wrote:...this is your chance to buttonhole Randall Graham and try to talk some sense into him. Or sample his new terroir-based wines now that he's sold off the bulk of his operation. Walt

Walt,
Not sure anybody is going to be able to talk some sense into RandallGrahm. When he sold of his high-production end of stuff, I thought
he might be concerned w/ his legacy that he leaves w/ the Calif wine biz and refocus on quality and innovation. Thus far, I've not seen
any signs of that. And I don't think he wines display much of terroir, when many of them bear a Calif appellation. But one can always hope.
He'll be here in Sept for SantaFe Wine&Chile on a panel w/ JasonHaas & NeilRosenthal...moderated by...gakkkk...AliceFeiring. I'm making up
a list of pointed questions for him.
Not seen much of you hereabouts in this little corner of CyberSpace, Walt. Trust things are well.
Tom
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

Re: Maybe...MaybeNot...

by wnissen » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:14 pm

Dear Tom,

I assume it will take Graham and company a few years to make the switch. Did I hear he's planting vineyards?

With baby Max taking up so much of my time, I haven't been able to spend much time on the interwebs. I still look in from time to time, and all is well on the homefront.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...Hadn't Heard..

by TomHill » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:15 pm

wnissen wrote:I assume it will take Graham and company a few years to make the switch. Did I hear he's planting vineyards?
With baby Max taking up so much of my time, I haven't been able to spend much time on the interwebs. I still look in from time to time, and all is well on the homefront.
Walt

Walt,
Sounds like life is good...if hectic. Enjoy Max...they grow up all too fast. Before you know it...he'll be driving a car, drinking beer (maybe even his Dad's wine), and getting laid....all the stuff we wanted to get away but couldn't.
Randall's had his vnyd down in Soledad for quite some time, planted to all sorts of weird Italian stuff. The wines don't particularly speak of terroir to me, though.
I'd heard rumors that he wanted to plant again up in the SCM, but not seen anything concrete yet.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Maybe...MaybeNot...

by Jenise » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:56 pm

wnissen wrote:Dear Tom,

I assume it will take Graham and company a few years to make the switch. Did I hear he's planting vineyards?

Walt

Walt, didn't realize you had a newborn. Congratulations!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov