The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Michel Gros Hautes Côtes de Nuits

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2005 Michel Gros Hautes Côtes de Nuits

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:49 am

2005 Michel Gros Hautes Côtes de Nuits 13%
Classic, translucent ruby burgundy color. Nose of sour cherry and green stems. Aggressively tart when tasted without food, with mouthpuckering acidity. After food, the tartness comes into excellent balance with the sweetness. The cherry becomes more prominent, with a richness and boldness of flavor that feel sharply delineated and very pleasing. The green stems recede and some smokiness and a touch of barnyard emerge, with a grace note of cloves. While not a complex wine with a variety of flavors, this delivers the bourgogne experience with clarity and forwardness. Highly recommended as a food wine.
Last edited by Oswaldo Costa on Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: 2003 Michel Gros Hautes Côtes de Nuits

by Dale Williams » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:19 am

Surprised by the acidity in an '03. But as we discussed here recently, sometimes "lesser" terroirs do well in very hot vintages. The high HCdN areas often don't ripen sufficently, seems like they made it this time. I liked the '00 M. Gros, maybe the last under$10 red Burgundy I did like.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: 2003 Michel Gros Hautes Côtes de Nuits

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:48 am

Sorry, your knowledgeable note made me realize that I wrote the wrong vintage: it was a 2005! Have now corrected that... I also have an 03 Gros HCdN in the wings, and had it on my mind for a comparative tasting.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: 2005 Michel Gros Hautes Côtes de Nuits

by Dale Williams » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:52 am

ok, that makes more sense re the acidity. Point still holds that it takes a vintage with good ripeness like 2005 to make good HCdN ("rising tide lifts all boats"). Thanks for noticing.