The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: An ageing Don Melchor.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: An ageing Don Melchor.

by Tim York » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:20 pm

Concha y Toro Don Melchor Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon Maipo Valley 1995 – Alc. 13.5% - (€ 32 for 1998)

This bottle got lost in my cellar but I came across it tonight as I was looking for something to accompany prime steak.

C: Quite deep garnet.
N: Excellent with a complex mix of discretely ripe red fruit, particularly plum, hints of tobacco and a grassy edge which gave it a welcome lift. Very little of the famous mint aroma, however, except as a background element in the palette of aromas; I prefer it this way.
P: Slightly disappointing after the nose. Round and rich with a velvety touch but suffering from a soft centre and a lack of grip and structure; quite complex and long with some aromas which, though quite attractive, seem to show decline; for example a dustiness which bring back memories of the old lace curtains at the homes of my Victorian great-aunts. The barrique ageing is by now perfectly integrated. Germaine said that she found the wine slightly veiled but very enjoyable in a style pleasing to most people.
I think that this would have been firmer and better, for me, two or three years ago. But I did still enjoy it. Let me rate it 15.5+/20 now.

Of course, at this age, a good left bank Bordeaux would just be getting into its stride.

Here is a reminder of my rating scale –

20/20 = Perfection, perhaps a handful in a lifetime
19 & 19.5/20 = Great wine, perhaps a handful in a decade.
18 & 18.5/20 = Exceptionally fine, lucky if a handful in one year.
17 & 17.5/20 = Really excellent.
16 & 16.5/20 = Very good; happy to offer these to friends.
15 & 15.5/20 = Good wines which we are happy to drink and would buy at < € 18, say.
14 & 14.5/20 = Worth drinking and would buy at < € 6, say.
13 & 13.5/20 = Boring wines but drinkable at cafés and restaurants if nothing else.
12 & 12.5/20 = Worse than boring and barely drinkable.
< 12/20 = Don’t bother.
Wines from my own cellar tend to cluster around the 15s and 16s.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Wink Lorch

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:16 pm

London/France

Re: WTN: An ageing Don Melchor.

by Wink Lorch » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:42 pm

Fascinating notes, Tim. But, I can't help wondering how much better (or perhaps just different) a 2005 Don Melchor will be in 2018 ... Chile has come such a long way in the past 10-15 years. Their understanding of vineyard and cellar techniques has advanced so, so much added to which with the resources that CyT has, they can afford to reserve some of their best, low-yielding grapes (which I would vouch would be much better now than then) for their top cuvées including Don Melchor.
As to the comparison with Bordeaux - like for like on price, I wonder - I'll leave others who know Bordeaux better to comment on this.
Wink Lorch - Wine writer, editor and educator
http://winetravelmedia.com and http://jurawine.co.uk
Also http://www.winetravelguides.com
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:18 am

Perhaps I give too negative an impression. Though flawed in the way I indicate, it was certainly a lot more complex and interesting than the most Chileans which come my way, which are technically sound but a touch boring - see my note on CyT Sauvignon blanc. As to comparison with Bordeaux, I recently found Château Poujeaux 94 (approx. € 20 for a recent vintage) more vigorous and enjoyable drinking.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:49 am

Thanks for this note Tim. I am rather surprised this did not show better, perhaps a reflection of the (vintage) year??