The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: White Burgs (and more) at Jacques' pool

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: White Burgs (and more) at Jacques' pool

by Dale Williams » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:09 pm

Today I spend afternoon and early evening at Jacques and Jill Levy's place (Betsy had to work). Fabulously generous hosts - a great spread of food, a lovely giving attitude, nice wines provided. The guests reflected the hosts- nice attracts nice- and also brought some nice wines. Some fun with whites beside the pool (accompanied by hummus, guacamole, chips, etc):

2002 Michel Niellon "Clos de la Maltroie " Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
Midweight, little tropical (pineapple/papaya) but with a good streak of minerality. Some flowers and a bit of oak. Exotic without being over the top. B+/B

2002 Guy Amiot et Fils "Les Caillerets" Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
A bit more obvious oak, good apple and pear fruit. B

2001 Jadot/Duc de Magenta "Morgeot:" Chassagne Montrachet 1er
PreMox! PreMox! D

2006? Rozak Chardonnay (Santa Maria)
Fig, ripe apples, a bit short. B-/C+

At this point Jacques brought down the first of a pair of great seafood trays: Striped bass, lump crabmeat, lobster, scallops, crabmeat, and shrimp, along with cocktail sauce, curry mayo, and thyme mayo.

1999 JN Gagnard Batard-Montrachet
Very rich, ripe exotic fruit, some oak, long. B+/A-

1999 Pernot Batard-Montrachet
More austere than the Gagnard, but also more focused. Clean, elegant, smoky, minerals. A-

1998 Niellon Batard-Montrachet
Premox! Premox! Old apple skins with a little fish oil. Arrrrgggghhhh!! D

1998 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne

Whew. I brought this praying for no premox. I've been running about 1/3 oxidized on these. This one is fairly fresh, good pear fruit with a little lemon curd and vanilla, good length. A-/B+

2005 Radio Coteau "Savoy Vineyard" Chardonnay
Big, fruity, just a little oak. B/B+

We dragged all the stuff up the hill, and Jacques started preparations for his steak-feast. By this time (hey, I had been there almost 5 hours!) I needed to head home to meet my wife, so didn't get to try many reds, but got quick tastes of:

1982 Ch. Rouget (Pomerol)
This is quite mature, rather tired, a bit of caramel over the fig, prune,and blackberry fruit. B-/C+?

1983 Chateau Ste. Michelle Cabernet Sauvignon
Sorry I missed vineyard on this one (though I think Mark said it was first Washington wine to get a high WA score). Seemed a little tight on first opening, but very young fruit for 25, black plum and cassis. B++?

1989 La Fleur du gay (Pomerol)
A bit too cold (John D opened it because I said I was leaving) . Ripe fresh black fruit, some earth, but needs some warmth. ????

There were some great wines waiting in the wings (Guigal C-R, Radio Coteau and Pax, '73 Mastroberardino, '69 Heitz!!!!) but I needed to get home to my tired wife.
Thanks to Jacques and Jill, the ne plus ultra of hosts.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: White Burgs (and more) at Jacques' pool

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:45 am

Thanks for the notes, sounds like a wonderful time was had. Sorry I missed it and also sorry about the premoxes.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:56 am

When we were bitching about PremOx, Mark said there were 3, I only tried two, but in any case it's a sad percentage- almost 30% if I'm right, worse if I missed one. Really hard to justify buying 1er or GC WB till know problem solved.
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm

NY

by Jacques Levy » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:41 pm

Thanks Dale, it was quite an awesome collection of reds that you missed; the 1969 Heitz was everyone's WOTY, not a Martha's Vineyard but was as good as any California Cab we ever had. A big Wow! The 1973 Taurasi was also special as were a Pax Syrah, a Jamet Cote Roties, a couple of Radio Coteau.

It was really nice to see everyone again, I need to talk to you about the vinegar, Dale; it looks like a great idea and just smelling that bottle is putting me in the mood for making my own special batches. Thanks for that fun gift. See you soon.
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Louisville, KY

by Bob Hower » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:16 pm

Jacques Levy wrote:.... I need to talk to you about the vinegar, Dale; it looks like a great idea and just smelling that bottle is putting me in the mood for making my own special batches. Thanks for that fun gift. See you soon.

Sounds like a fantastic party Jacques. Some time ago, Dale kindly posted this link about vinegar making, an activity I keep meaning to get to but so far have not.

http://www.gangofpour.com/diversions/vi ... egar1.html
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:18 pm

Hope you like the vinegar, it's "rustic." Unlike true makers, I don't try and balance the acidity, so can be rough to some people. But it's fun to have different blends. Bob's link is to some good info.
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm

NY

by Jacques Levy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:47 am

Oh and Dale, just as an incentive to stay longer next time, Gio brought a 1995 and 1996 Dom Perignon for compare and contrast purposes. Refinement and elegance (1996) versus sweetness and richness (1995)
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:24 pm

I already felt back about the reds. Actually, I don't usually care for Champagne later in the evening. Thanks again for super hospitality!