The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three Burgs and a Huet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Three Burgs and a Huet

by Jenise » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:24 pm

Dinner at the home of a generous host and major burgundy collector:

1997 Joseph Drouhin Marquis Laguiche
Oh wow. Elegantly polite about getting your attention, but when it does, you can't take your eyes off of it. Dainty and intense by turns, it's rich, creamy and nicely endowed with the minerals and butter toffee characteristics that has set every Laguiche I've ever had apart from all other white burgundies.
Forget what you think you know about the vintage, this is superb white burgundy.

2004 Domaine des Chezeaux Clos St. Denis Vieilles Vignes
My first 2004 red burg, a beautiful wine. A true Burgundy-lover's burgundy: not big, not forceful and clearly from a cooler vintage, it combine both fruit and herbs in a very pure package. Our host says this is perhaps his favorite wine from the 04 vintage.

2004 Domaine Romanee Conti Grands Echezaux
Then to turn the tables on us he opens the following but pours it blind. We are to guess. I accurately guess that it's a DRC (these wines have a hypnotic perfume unlike any other, and even as few as I've had I recognize it) but I was laughably so far off on the vintage: I guessed '93-94. It did not smell or taste young, and the color (in the dim light) had a tawny hue pushing what otherwise might have been a light violet into the mauve range. Plus, and perhaps especially after the Chezeaux, it was on the delicate side and tasted resolved and possessing of that secret knowledge that old wines acting young can have but not, typically, a young wine acting so very grown-up. Excellent.

1995 Huet Chenin Blanc, Cuvee Constance
My contribution to the dinner and perhaps the most flawless wine I've ever tasted--and that applies to every single bottle I've had, too, since about 1999--it hardly changes from one bottle to another. Indeed, it seems to be immortal. It's so complex it's hard to describe everything in it, but there is honey and orange blossoms, lime leaves and loquats, tangerines and cardamom, magnolias and cassia bark--and it's all so bright, concentrated and intense.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Three Burgs and a Huet

by Dale Williams » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:15 pm

Was the Drouhin/Laguiche the Chassagne or the Montrachet?
Nice notes, thanks, I'm jealous
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:59 pm

Sounds wonderful!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:47 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Was the Drouhin/Laguiche the Chassagne or the Montrachet?
Nice notes, thanks, I'm jealous

The Montrachet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:12 am

Had never heard of Laguiche so I looked it up and saw a Puligny-Montrachet and a Chassagne-Montrachet, so both are Montrachets... Are these two estates that belong to the Marquis de Laguiche and that Drouhin vinifies? What's the difference? Are they both premier crus? Doesn't seem to be much information around...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:15 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:]... Are these two estates belonging to the Marquis de Laguiche that Drouhin vinifies? Are they premier crus? Doesn't seem to be much information around...

The Chassagne is Village, the Montrachet is Grand Cru.

Did you already see this:

http://www.drouhin.com/produits/descrip ... arlag.html

http://www.drouhin.com/produits/descrip/montmarq.html
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:50 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Oswaldo Costa wrote:]... Are these two estates belonging to the Marquis de Laguiche that Drouhin vinifies? Are they premier crus? Doesn't seem to be much information around...

The Chassagne is Village, the Montrachet is Grand Cru.

Did you already see this:

http://www.drouhin.com/produits/descrip ... arlag.html

http://www.drouhin.com/produits/descrip/montmarq.html

Got it! So the grand cru is from the Puligny side of Le Montrachet and the village wine is from Chassagne-Montrachet.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:32 pm

As you are all Huet fans (!), thought I could update this for you all....>

http://www.thewinedoctor.com/tastingsprofile/huet.shtml
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:24 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:As you are all Huet fans (!), thought I could update this for you all....>

http://www.thewinedoctor.com/tastingsprofile/huet.shtml

Thanks, Bob! I'm a wannabe fan...