The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Chablis 1er, Etna Rosso, Rheinhessen QbA

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

TN: Chablis 1er, Etna Rosso, Rheinhessen QbA

by Dale Williams » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:12 pm

Friday Betsy made the James Boyce lobster/tomato/corn salad recipe. I had opened the 2005 Gunderloch Dry Riesling (Rheinhessen) when I got home. This seems truly dry (I thought I had remembered as being a little off-dry), and I began to doubt its suitability as a match. Lots of petrol for a young wine, flinty minerality, peaches and grapefruit. Good length. I put aside and revisit late Sat. Broad-bodied for QbA, nice wine. B/B+

So for the lobster I opened the 2006 JM Brocard "Vau de Vey" Chablis 1er. Tight and ungiving. Some clear minerals, reticent granny smith fruit, some length to finish, but mostly showing acids. Night 2 little change. This might develop, but for now B-

So as related elsewhere I spent Saturday afternoon enjoying the Levys' hospitality. But I wanted to join family for dinner, and make my excuses about 7. Leaving behind a gorgeous lineup of reds, I decided to console myself with a red with Betsy's veal chops and potato salad (normally I would go white). I chose a new favorite, the 2004 Biondi "Outis" (Nessuno) Etna Rosso. Lovely ripe dark cherry fruit with a little black raspberry, good acidity yet with a lushness of texture that makes it smooth. As I said before, this could do well as a ringer in a blind tasting of good village Burgs. Ripe, balanced, elegant. I'm going to try aging these a bit, too. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: Chablis 1er, Etna Rosso, Rheinhessen QbA

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:32 pm

The Gunderloch dry is pretty reliably dry. The *** is not.
Decisions are made by those who show up