The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Brunello, Loire petillant, CalCab, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Brunello, Loire petillant, CalCab, etc

by Dale Williams » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:16 pm

So Betsy and I agreed that Sunday evening we'd have a quiet night, eat some accumulated leftovers, etc. Then she got the idea to invite Joe and Rachel for dinner. "We'll just keep it simple." Next thing I know, she needed a bottle and a half of PN for marinading and brasing the duck legs:
2006 Baron d'Avelin Bourgogne
Simple, sweet, straightforward, fine for cooking. B-/C+

2006 Borsao Tres Picos Garnacha
Jammy, thick, red fruit with a little tree bark. Saved half a bottle for dinner, others liked it more. B-

They arrived, bearing homemade potato chips and guacamole. So we opened
NV Pinon Vouvray Brut
Light, lithe, clean. Yeasty in a sourdough meets biscuit way, gala apple fruit, some chalk/minerial. Nice fine mousse. Fun wine. B+/B

2000 La Magia Brunello di Montalcino

I opened this because Joe had loved a bottle before. Decent acids, dried cherries and black cherries, a little leather and spice. Modest length, not a big Brunello, seems pretty close to maturity. B/B-

2006 McManis Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon (California)
This puts the goop in goopy. Sweet syrupy black and blue berry fruit, some oaky vanillaness (no, make that vanillality). Definitely a wine from fruit bomb lovers. Not a style I go for, but this is probably a pretty good value for fans of the style. But for me, C

Good night with good friends. Dave stopped by with some friends to make pie dough to carry to Brooklyn, nice his friends are now old enough to legally offer wine. We'll try again for simple tonight. :)

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Brunello, Loire petillant, CalCab, etc

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:54 pm

I've never had the Pinon. I figure I am totally jaded by the Huet, so why bother.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:31 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I've never had the Pinon. I figure I am totally jaded by the Huet, so why bother.

Hey, David, what would you say to someone who said they wouldn't bother with Zilliken because they're jaded by E. Muller, wouldn't bother with Willi Schaefer because they've had JJ Prum, etc? :)

Pinon is worth trying (as is Foreau). A fair amount cheaper than the Huet, though that remains my fave.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:33 pm

Oh sure - use logic. :?
Decisions are made by those who show up