The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Diggin' Up old WTN's..Whadda U Think?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Diggin' Up old WTN's..Whadda U Think?

by Redwinger » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:27 am

Lately, before I post a WTN, I've been searching to see if a note has already exists on the particular wine. If I get a match then I simply add my note/thoughts to the existing thread rather than starting from scratch. The thread on the 2002 Shadow is an example.
I'm just curious to see what others think of this approach?
Curious William
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Diggin' Up old WTN's..Whadda U Think?

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:58 am

Don't really care for it, as more often than not the new note ends up appended to a longer thread with a bunch of stuff that I've seen before. I used to post on a board that did it as a matter of course & it's one of the reasons I quit posting there.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:30 pm

Redwinger wrote: just curious to see what others think of this approach?
Curious William

Bill, I don't have a strong opinion, except that I like it when folks post WTNs and don't like it when they don't. 8)

But David does have a point: Although bringing up an old thread for your new note might provide a bit of continuity, the new information does kind of tend to get lost in long, old threads.

Maybe an even better approach would be to locate an older thread on the topic, if it exists, and then start a new thread for your wine but refer to the other thread with a link. (No high technology required, just select and copy the old link from your browser's "address bar" and then paste it in to the new post, like this ...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17804
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:12 pm

I much prefer the linking option Robin.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:47 pm

I don't have strong opinions but it certainly makes more sense if your new note speaks directly to some crucial debate/issue from the thread. If it is just adding a WTN to a long list then it doesn't seem to add much value.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:02 pm

oops - lost the previous response

in summary

David's fears are valid, in that if there's been thread drift on the original, a tired and worn out debate might get resurrected.

However I do think it's a great idea, so would suggest the following

- If the original WTN had no responses or just a couple of responses, do as you suggest
- If the original got buried under severe thread drifts, or was part of a larger set of notes, use the quote function & post just the WTN into a new thread

Go for it!

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:26 pm

Redwinger wrote:Lately, before I post a WTN, I've been searching to see if a note has already exists on the particular wine. If I get a match then I simply add my note/thoughts to the existing thread rather than starting from scratch. The thread on the 2002 Shadow is an example.
I'm just curious to see what others think of this approach?
Curious William

I used to think this was a good idea, but when I tried it myself, the thread just drifted into oblivion again. Very few people even read it. I agree the linking option is a good one - and if you are interested in a particular wine in the future, you can still find all the notes by using the search facility and typing in the wine name or key word.

However, as someone else said, it depends on the length of the original thread. Your call really.