The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Argentina at WineStyles (and Spain)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Argentina at WineStyles (and Spain)

by Brian K Miller » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:22 am

A couple of nice cheap Argentine wines last night at WineStyles from the Finca Los Primos estate. They may be big production wines, and they are cheap (under $15), but I quite enjoyed them.

2006 Barbera (Mendoza): Very nice Barbera. Only 13% abv nominal label value, and no heat at all on the palate or the nose. Bright blackberry and raspberry fruit with good acidity and a distinctly (but enjoyable) black pepper element. At $12.99, this is a nice wine.

2006 Malbec (Mendoza) A much bigger and richer wine. 14.1% nominal alcohol. Rich mouth feel with an earthy base. Blueberry and blackberry and a hinto of licorice. The richness suggests some new oak, but with this fruit it doesn't bother me, and I didn't get any overt vanilla notes. Excellent QPR at $14.99.

Also: Ramon Bilbao Crianza Rioja. My old buddy Jon didn't like this one, but I tasted "old school Rioja" in this wine, with no overt dill pickle and a very nice light sour cherry and acidity character. $20 and probably worth it when I can't adfford Tondonia or Bosca! :twisted:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: WTN: Argentina at WineStyles (and Spain)

by Alejandro Audisio » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:56 pm

Brian.... you raise a very important point with the inexpensive Barbera you have noted above. Im a big fan of Argentine Barbera.... I only wish more of the high-end producers would take the grape more seriously. Until now, only one example of a premium Barbera has made it to market... its done by Escorihuela Gascon under their Pequenias Producciones label - this is a domestic market only label made in very small batches, max. 4000 bottles. They made a 2003 vintage and it has not appeared since.... the wine was very special.
Alejandro Audisio - drink wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes!!!
ITB in Buenos Aires, Argentina
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:01 pm

Well, Alejandro, my main concern in Argentina and Chile is winemakers whose idea of an expensive cuvee is 20 months in new oak...so I like the cheapies! :lol:

The modest "Reserve" 2004 Luigi Bosca only had 12 months in oak, and it was delicious! Their higher end blend wine (the one with a woman's name and Tannat in the blend) had twenty months in new oak and I didn't like it very much!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:57 am

Good to know about the Barbera, Alejandro. Now we just need to be able to get some!

FWIW I am not a fan of the Italian varietals done in California - the Nebbiolo, Sangiovese and Barbera always leave me asking myself why they bothered.

I am also a fan of malbec, particularly old country wines like Cahors, but have been favourably impressed with some of the higher end Argentinian malbecs, which display some interesting complexity - the lower end wines, great value of course, usually just present a simple fruity blast that would (and does) have Parker jumping for joy.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:14 am

I agree with you, Bill vis a vis Italian varietals in California. I have actually had a few decent Sangiovese (Luna's Reserve bottling isn't bad), but for literally half the price I can get a Chianti Classico Riserva with more typicite, more acid, and brighter fruit.

Try the Luigi Bosca, Bill...I relaly like the mouth feel and sense of balance.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:01 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Try the Luigi Bosca, Bill...I relaly like the mouth feel and sense of balance.

Shall do. I much prefer the ones that show some flavour subtlety to the whack in the face with a basket of fruit sort.

So far I have restrained myself from trying the Funky Llama.... I have some Noemia that is very good.
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:25 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Well, Alejandro, my main concern in Argentina and Chile is winemakers whose idea of an expensive cuvee is 20 months in new oak...so I like the cheapies! :lol:

The modest "Reserve" 2004 Luigi Bosca only had 12 months in oak, and it was delicious! Their higher end blend wine (the one with a woman's name and Tannat in the blend) had twenty months in new oak and I didn't like it very much!

Brian... I hear what you are saying. Oak and the issue of allowing time for proper Oak integration is a huge debate, and IMO its what decides which side the Iguana chews on.... (sorry, an old Mexican saying I just remembered) :lol: Its my guess that if you tasted some of the bigger cuvees after some 4-5 years in the cellar, you woul de enjoying them more. Not trying to have you move up into a higher price range, just trying to share my experience with you... I agree that at an early stage, many second wines are much more enjoyable than their big brother 1st wines... happens all the time.
Alejandro Audisio - drink wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes!!!
ITB in Buenos Aires, Argentina