The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Dinner in Maine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Dinner in Maine

by Howie Hart » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:02 am

Early this month, I had the pleasure of spending a week at my sister’s in York Beach, ME. I had arranged to meet up with Carl and Beverly Eppig for dinner and to share wines. My sister was gracious enough to host the event. On our drive to Maine, my sister and I had stopped in Vermont to visit an old friend, Joe, that I’d seen only twice in the past 30 years and his bride Susan. We had a very nice dinner with them; going through a few bottles of my home made wine and spent the night there. In fact, we had such a good time that we invited them to join us for the planned dinner with Carl and Beverly later that week. Joe, I learned had changed careers, became somewhat of a foodie and manages a small plant that makes organic salad dressings and salsa (Drew’s). They all arrived about the same time and we migrated to the deck, taking the opportunity to enjoy one of the few nice days New England has seen this summer. My sister’s friend Norman joined us as dinner for seven was getting under way. We spent a while chatting, appetizing on hummus, tapenade and shrimp cocktail while sipping Mumm Napa Brut Prestige. Nice bubbly for about $18. Next was Hermann J. Wiemer 2006 Semi-Dry Riesling that Carl brought. Good acid balance and nicely made. While ’06 was a strange year for many varieties in the Finger Lakes, the rains let up in late September and October was dry, allowing some very nice later ripening grapes, like Riesling to come through nicely. Carl then opened a 2005 Fincastle Hybrid Vigor. This is a white hybrid blend from Virginia; off-dry, a bit shy on the nose with citrusy flavors and a medium finish. I couldn’t determine the blend, and it was not listed on the label, but I’m guessing there is Vidal in it. After some difficulty getting the grill to light, this wine made its way into the dining room when we started dinner. I had spent most of the afternoon making a lobster bisque (will post recipe in Kitchen forum) which we had with my 2005 Oak Aged Chardonnay. Joe and I went outside to man the grill (steaks - aged, tenderized chuck) while the other folks munched sourdough – rosemary dinner rolls (from a nice local bakery) and a green salad that Joe and Susan brought, topped with a raspberry vinaigrette dressing from Joe’s place of employment. The grilled steaks and rice pilaf, which my sister made, hit the table and we opened several wines. Carl brought a 2004 Tobin James James Gang Reserve Primitivo, a very juicey wine with 15.4% abv. I liked it (See Carl’s post in the Wine Focus Forum). I opened a 1995 Louis Jadot Beaujolais Villages. I’m not sure where I obtained this wine, but, while still sound, it was tired and not showing much. Earlier in the day, while digging out champagne glasses from storage in her cellar, my sister found a bottle of 1994 Brindisi Rosso Riserva. This was a very nice wine. Made from Negromaro and Malvasia grapes from the Apulia region, this wine had aged nicely in her basement, with leather and spices, it had a long, full finish with well-balanced tannins. Beverly brought a superb peach & blueberry cobbler for dessert. In addition to coffee, dessert was served with two sweeties I received I received in a wine exchange set up through a wine making website I frequent. The 2006 Catherine Valley Finger Lakes Vignoles Ice Wine was superb! Intense fruit, good acidity, sweet and a long, long finish. The Orange Blossum Muscat Port I believe was made from a concentrate kit, but it was very good quality and well made. Light golden color, sublte hints of orange on the nose, very sweet with a medium-long finish. Also through the course of the evening, we opened some of my home made wines (Riesling, Gamay Cab Franc/Merlot). Carl, Beverly and I stayed up later than everyone else, solving all the problems in the world. I sent them off with some of my home made wines and leftover lobster bisque. It was a very nice evening and a pleasure to meet more fellow WLDGers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Dinner in Maine

by Carl Eppig » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:02 am

Howie, it was wonderful meeting you, your sister, and friends. Bev and I had a splendid time. Great food, interesting wine, and a world solved of all its problems!

All of you, particularly in the Northeast should look for Joe's Drew's salad dressing. It is natural, delicious, and low in carbs. We normally make salad dressings from scratch, but this one is definitely worth keeping in the fridge. We had the Rosemary Balsamic dressing and have purchased it since. There are other selections, and we found it in the whole food section of our local supermarket.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:56 pm

The Hybrid Vigor is a blend of Traminette, Vidal Blanc, and Chardonnel, so Howie guessed right about the Vidal.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:18 pm

Thanks for the report. Now I'm really sorry that I couldn't be there. :(

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:30 am

Paul Winalski wrote:Thanks for the report. Now I'm really sorry that I couldn't be there. :(

-Paul W.
It was a fun night. Maybe we'll do it again next summer. :wink:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:42 am

I like the Obama sign in the window. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:12 am

Jenise wrote:I like the Obama sign in the window. :)

We didn't discuss politics until everyone except Howie went to bed!