The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Reconsidering Sulfites (SFGate.com Article)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Reconsidering Sulfites (SFGate.com Article)

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:53 pm

This is a pretty interesting article about sulfites. At the end of it, the author gives a little "Sulfite Primer" which might be interesting to the novice wine geek.

Read it here: Reconsidering sulfites: Progressive vintners weigh the pros and cons of the controversial winemaking tool
And now what?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Reconsidering Sulfites (SFGate.com Article)

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:17 pm

Thanks for the post, interesting.
I tend to like Dashe's zins a lot (a forgotten '98 was very good couple months ago).
I am slightly confused on the L'Enfant Terrible, where it says he and Mark E. agreed no new oak, but later he could avoid sulfur as it was going into new barrels?
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:42 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Thanks for the post, interesting.
I tend to like Dashe's zins a lot (a forgotten '98 was very good couple months ago).
I am slightly confused on the L'Enfant Terrible, where it says he and Mark E. agreed no new oak, but later he could avoid sulfur as it was going into new barrels?

Maybe this is it. The article states, "Ellenbogen said any potential new wine needed to be made from grapes farmed organically or biodynamically, picked early, then processed in a way that avoided high fruit extraction or the heavy flavors of new oak (my emphasis)." And farther down Dashe mentions that the oak is new and clean. Perhaps it has to do with the structure of the and treatment of the oak in the barrels Dashe is using. I'm guessing one can choose a barrel which will impart more or less barrel flavor. And, I imagine, you can also handle the wine such that it picks up less oak flavor. Minimal intervention is also intervention ...

Ed. Note: It's been my turn in the barrel so often that I guess this is something I should have noticed by now. :)
And now what?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:02 pm

Yeah, I wondered if it was just a super light toast. Still, I found it funny that they mentioned avoiding new oak flavors and then apparently Dashe used 100% new.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:22 pm

Given a choice between just a smidgeon of sulfites and....peanut butter......hmmmmm? :twisted:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:55 pm

MIke's "L'Enfant Terrible" was raised in a 900 gallon foudre, that had had, I believe, one wine in it before. It was bottled in April, on the 11th, as I recall, so the time in wood was fairly short.( I bottled a wine at Dashe that same day, and gave Mike permission to use the "L'Enfant Terrible" name, which I'd used on young-vine Mourvedre for three vintages back in the '90's.)

Not mentioned in the article is the fact that when the foudre (or any other barrel, for that matter) is filled, the barrel will have received an SO2 rinse after being emptied of the last wine it contained, and if stored empty for any period of time beyond a few days, will typically be stored full of water containing a substantial dose of SO2 and some citric acid. When the filling is done, it's often done under inert gas. The tools available these days to minimize or avoid direct sulfur additions are myriad and impressive.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:46 pm

Thanks for the insight Steve. I purchased 3 bottles of the L'Enfant & now I cannot wait to taste one (though I will wait until fall).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:51 pm

for sulfites as for many other things: better safe than sorry.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:50 am

Steve Edmunds wrote:MIke's "L'Enfant Terrible"

I loved loved loved that wine when we had it by the glass at Slanted Door, on a lazy afternoon sitting at the bar, this past July. We went back two days later and had a bottle with lunch. We own four bottles of it currently. I wish it was many more.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:42 pm

thanks for clarification. When it said new barrels I was envisioning 225 litre or maybe 200 gallon ones, a 900 gallon foudre obviously has less contact (and of course if used even once less obvious oak). I just threw in a couple of these in my CSW order.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:10 pm

Good article, but with one factual error at the very end. The article mentions that SO2 can result in aromas of burnt matchsticks or rotten eggs. Burnt matchsticks, yes. Rotten eggs, no--rotten egg aroma is specifically hydrogen sulfide (H2S), not sulfur dioxide (SO2).

-Paul W.