The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 Oenoforos SA Asprolithi Roditis (Peloponnisos)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2007 Oenoforos SA Asprolithi Roditis (Peloponnisos)

by Paul B. » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:06 pm

I received this wine as a gift from a friend who spent his holiday in Greece a couple of months earlier. I opened it tonight on the spur of the moment as I needed to match something - anything - with the pork shoulder that I had just grilled over apple hardwood.

11.5% alc./vol. Closed with high-quality solid natural cork. Beautiful clear straw hue with a pale brassy-green glint and lots of CO2 carbonation along the sides of the glass. Nose of pineapple and minerals; very taut and elegant, and reminiscent of a Grüner Veltliner without the pepper. Light- to medium-bodied, crisp and bone-dry; lots of mouthwatering green-apple acidity and scintillating minerality. Cleansing and brisk, with a short but pleasant finish.

I see that the wine is actually available at the LCBO for $13.95; their write-up reads as follows:

Description: Roditis is an indigenous Greek grape that is known for keeping its acid levels while at the same time achieving complete ripeness. The best versions, such as this one grown at 800 metres, are made with fruit from vineyards located at high altitudes. Oenoforos improves their product further by drastically reducing yields, thereby heightening the wine's intensity and concentration. Terrific with moussaka.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2007 Oenoforos SA Asprolithi Roditis (Peloponnisos)

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:10 am

Paul B...I went to a Greece wine-tasting last night which was a revelation to me. Mostly wines from small producers (600 cases etc) but very good wines. The agent is a real Greek wine geek and had tons of info. One winemaker had 6 weather stations in his vineyards!
I will post some brief TNs asap if anyone is interested?
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:31 am

I love it when friends travel and, rather than an ugly tee-shirt, they bring you back a bottle of wine.

I have a friend who moved back to BC a couple of years ago and when she comes back for a visit I know she's packing a few interesting bottles that just never show up on the shelves in Ontario. :D
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:35 am

You know, Bruce, do let me know if you are ever going to be in South Africa ... there's a bottle of old-style Pinotage out there somewhere that I would love for you to bring back for me ;)

The current buyers at Vintages really seem to be pushing the sweet, goopy internationalized wines from SA - not simply the Pinotages, but most of the reds, unfortunately, are in that style now. Dammit! :evil:
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca