The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Need help with a couple of terms....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

BMcKenney

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:37 pm

Calgary

Need help with a couple of terms....

by BMcKenney » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:01 pm

I checked the lexicon here and didn't see anything, so I'll post this. I've seen the expressions or terms primary, and I think secondary or maybe tertiary used in describing taste. And from what I can tell I believe people are suggesting that a wine may be primary when it's young and there may not be a secondary or tertiary taste until it matures. And I believe these terms are being used to describe the fruit components. Can someone explain these terms, their meanings etc please.

Bryan
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Need help with a couple of terms....

by Dale Williams » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:29 pm

this one usually starts a fight. :)

Sometimes wine makers seem to use the terms to mean:
primary: fruit flavors (from grapes)
secondary: flavors arising from vinification
tertiary: flavors arising from aging

Personally, incorrectly or not, I usually mean a variation of above
primary: fruit flavors
secondary: flavors other than fruit that I find (oak, earth, minerals, etc) in young or maturing wines
tertiary: flavors that clearly indicate aging (decay, forest floor, etc)
Mine differs as sometimes I describe things as secondary that appear post-bottling, as a wine ages but before total maturity. That's probably incorrect, but makes sense to me.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:36 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Personally, incorrectly or not, I usually mean a variation of above
primary: fruit flavors
secondary: flavors other than fruit that I find (oak, earth, minerals, etc) in young or maturing wines
tertiary: flavors that clearly indicate aging (decay, forest floor, etc)
Mine differs as sometimes I describe things as secondary that appear post-bottling, as a wine ages but before total maturity. That's probably incorrect, but makes sense to me.

I've always used it your way and never understood the difference between flavors that come from grapes and flavors that come from vinification. Probably because I'm not a winemaker and have never vinified anything, but once it's in the bottle it would seem to all be a function of grapes + vinification.
no avatar
User

BMcKenney

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:37 pm

Calgary

by BMcKenney » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:42 pm

Thanks for the reply Dale. I totally get the primary and secondary definitions, but I don't get the tertiary flavour coming from bottle aging. I'm a newbie and haven't had much experience at all with aged wines. This year I drank at 2001 Guigal Hermitage and that's the extent of my experience. And I have no idea how the taste changed with aging. I wonder what types of flavour examples are attributed to aging (besides let's say your example of a forest floor). And I'll just throw this out there.... I wouldnt have thought there were any flavours attributed to aging as I was (incorrectly) thinking that aging did not impart flavour, it only changed existing primary and secondary to make them smoother or more integrated. Or aging would mellow out tannins.

Bryan
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:58 pm

BMcKenney wrote: I wonder what types of flavour examples are attributed to aging (besides let's say your example of a forest floor). And I'll just throw this out there.... I wouldnt have thought there were any flavours attributed to aging as I was (incorrectly) thinking that aging did not impart flavour, it only changed existing primary and secondary to make them smoother or more integrated.

I am sure that somewhere on the Web there must exist a list of those aromas typically thought of as tertiary. Here are a few that come to mind for me:

petrol in Riesling
honey in dry white wine
mushrooms in Pinot Noir
plums and leather in Cabernet/Merlot

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:07 pm

Dale
My usage of the terms would align with the descriptions you assign to winemakers. I guess the contentious bit would be secondary and I take that to be any overt winemaking input I can spot (oak, lees contact, ripasso, etc.). I suspect I don't use secondary too much due to this very confusion of views.
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:40 pm

It seems that I have used the words wrong. I always thought it was a term used in one dimension (age) not in two (age + style). I have usually used primary for fruit aromas that seem painfully young and secondary for any aged aromatics. Mea culpa.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:14 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:I guess the contentious bit would be secondary and I take that to be any overt winemaking input I can spot (oak, lees contact, ripasso, etc.). I suspect I don't use secondary too much due to this very confusion of views.
regards
Ian

Ok, I get that. But then the secondary elements are present right from the beginning along with the primary characteristics, which perhaps leads to some of this confusion.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:18 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
I am sure that somewhere on the Web there must exist a list of those aromas typically thought of as tertiary. Here are a few that come to mind for me:

petrol in Riesling...

I disagree, as I often find petrol in maturing but not totally mature Riesling. It often goes away with further bottle age. I would call petrol secondary.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:11 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote:

petrol in Riesling...

I disagree, as I often find petrol in maturing but not totally mature Riesling. It often goes away with further bottle age. I would call petrol secondary.

I'll bow to you, O Riesling Guru, but I've heard the petrol notes in Riesling repeatedly referred to as tertiary elements, despite my own experience of occasionally getting them in young Rieslings.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:28 pm

With such difference in views, it strikes me as much better to avoid such terms (which could also be described as geeky & confusing to newcomers). They're not necessary, but merely a shorthand that has been shown here to be imprecise and confusing.

Primary is generally ok, and would be something novices might guess correctly
Secondary seems best described in either specific terms (e.g. oak treatment) or general terms (heavily worked, or with significant winemaker input)
Tertiary can easily be substituted by 'aged'

These suggestions themselves are shorthand and there's certainly the option of being clearer still.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:30 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:I'll bow to you, O Riesling Guru, but I've heard the petrol notes in Riesling repeatedly referred to as tertiary elements, despite my own experience of occasionally getting them in young Rieslings.

Mark Lipton

I'm going to fence sit on this one as I have detected this note on young and old Riesling, so don't know that it would be tertiary in the sense being used here.

BTW, I read a paper on wine maturation that included mention of some of the biogenic amines you can get with age. Where do you biochemists get your names - although they are descriptive, putrescine and cadaverine among them. "This wine has too much cadaverine for my liking..." Gack!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 pm

Ok so in re-reading this thread I use the terms differently than most of you:

Primary - all that stuff that is there when the wine is first released, including any winemaking inputs (e.g. oak)
Secondary - the beginning of maturation - this is where I pick up petrol/smoke in Riesling, fruit begins to back off, oak integrates in red wine, sugar fades somewhat (again a Riesling thing)
Tertiary - the signs of full maturity (forest floor, clove & dried orange, honey, old leather)
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:25 pm

A lot of those ‘fruity” aromas one detects in a wine only become “apparent” after the action of yeast and bacteria. I think its best to think of the term “aroma” as a combination of varietal aromas plus any changes that develop during fermentation and aging. In mature wines the aroma will be transformed into a bouquet.

Salute
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:56 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
BTW, I read a paper on wine maturation that included mention of some of the biogenic amines you can get with age. Where do you biochemists get your names - although they are descriptive, putrescine and cadaverine among them. "This wine has too much cadaverine for my liking..." Gack!

Bill, if you ever have the misfortune of smelling aforementioned amines, you'll have no doubt how they got their names. :(

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:41 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Ok so in re-reading this thread I use the terms differently than most of you:

Primary - all that stuff that is there when the wine is first released, including any winemaking inputs (e.g. oak)
Secondary - the beginning of maturation - this is where I pick up petrol/smoke in Riesling, fruit begins to back off, oak integrates in red wine, sugar fades somewhat (again a Riesling thing)
Tertiary - the signs of full maturity (forest floor, clove & dried orange, honey, old leather)

Although I rarely use these terms myself, that's pretty much what I always took them to mean.

Interesting that there's such diversity in usage. These appear to be even less precise terms than most of those used in describing wine! :wink:
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:35 am

Dale Williams wrote:primary: fruit flavors (from grapes)
secondary: flavors arising from vinification
tertiary: flavors arising from aging

I always took this to be the "text book" answer. But (assuming we are talking about wine for all three) I never really understood "primary" by this definition. There may be fruit flavours that are indicative of the grape variety used, but these fruit flavours are all the result of fermentation, no?

Personally I cannot help myself using primary for youthful, fruity wines, and secondary to indicate flavours associated with aging. And I think quite a few others do this too.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:49 am

Steve Slatcher wrote:I always took this to be the "text book" answer. But (assuming we are talking about wine for all three) I never really understood "primary" by this definition. There may be fruit flavours that are indicative of the grape variety used, but these fruit flavours are all the result of fermentation, no?

Steve,
Do you not think that if you bite into a ripe Chardonnay grape it will taste fruity to you? Fruit, after all, usually tastes fruity. There are some fruit flavors that arise from vinification, but some are present in the grape beforehand.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:55 am

Steve,

Chew on a Muscat or Gewurztraminer grape & you will understand that the wine tastes (and smells) like the grapes. Same goes for Riesling in a much less obvious way.

Interesting, until this thread I had never seen the term secondary applied to winemaking influences, only intermediate aging.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:59 pm

As David B has mentioned there are a number of grapes which are classified as “aromatic” grape (those which I refer to as possessing primary fruit aromas and flavors). By eating the grapes or drinking the juice one can determine the variety. For the most part however the majority of grapes posses’ precursors and only after the action of the yeast and bacteria will the “fruity” aroma become apparent (this is what I refer to secondary aromas and flavors).

Salute
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:11 pm

Victorwine wrote:As David B has mentioned there are a number of grapes which are classified as “aromatic” grape (those which I refer to as possessing primary fruit aromas and flavors). By eating the grapes or drinking the juice one can determine the variety. For the most part however the majority of grapes posses’ precursors and only after the action of the yeast and bacteria will the “fruity” aroma become apparent (this is what I refer to secondary aromas and flavors).

OK - that makes sense - that primary aromas/flavours apply only to wines of aromatic grapes.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:36 pm

Steve Slatcher wrote:primary aromas/flavours apply only to wines of aromatic grapes.

See I still completely disagree with that. We're talking about wine. Anything that's in it when it is first released (as a young wine - no counting late/cellar releases here) is primary. Some time brings out secondary elements & lots of time eventually leads to tertiary (and then death).
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:57 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Steve Slatcher wrote:primary aromas/flavours apply only to wines of aromatic grapes.

See I still completely disagree with that. We're talking about wine. Anything that's in it when it is first released (as a young wine - no counting late/cellar releases here) is primary. Some time brings out secondary elements & lots of time eventually leads to tertiary (and then death).

It is just that you are using a different set of definitions to the ones I mentioned - heck, I don't even feel any great attachment to those definitions - see the post where I got into this discussion. It's just semantics.

The only factual issue at stake was the extent to which grape aromas come through after fermentation, and I now accept that it happens for some grapes.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:32 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Ok so in re-reading this thread I use the terms differently than most of you:

David, I use primary and secondary the same way you do, though I never use tertiary, I just say 'developed'.
Sometimes I clarify my 'primary', as in 'primary fruit' and 'youthful oak'.
And despite the leaning towards aromatics, above, by some people, I think primary and secondary is more obvious in reds - but then I do tend to taste a lot of young Aus and NZ reds.
Cheers,
Sue
Next