The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Terroir Experiment

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

Terroir Experiment

by Dave Erickson » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:38 am

Two bottles: Guy Bossard Muscadet "Gneiss" 2005, and Bossard Muscadet "Granite" 2005. Same vintage, same winemaker, same clonal selection, different soils. The Gneiss is lighter, the Granite is richer, each shows variation in mineral quality. This is the most straightforward argument I've seen yet in defense of the notion of terroir.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Terroir Experiment

by Howie Hart » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:23 pm

Hmmmm.. I thought. Perhaps it not terroir, but a reflection of when the grapes are harvested, but since I am not at all familiar with this wine I Googled and found this: http://www.kysela.com/loire/ecu.htm. Looks like a terroir thing. So, you may be right (I may be crazy).
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:26 pm

I'm a believer--always have been.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:35 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Hmmmm.. I thought. Perhaps it not terroir, but a reflection of when the grapes are harvested...

There is always that, plus the slightly different yields, elevage, etc. But still, the different soil types do seem to produce different types of wines and one could do a lot worse than exploring Bossard to make this point! Great wines.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:56 pm

I should point out that I have been a skeptic regarding terroir. "Tomatoes don't taste different just because the soil is different" was often an opening conversational gambit. But grapevine roots go a lot deeper than tomato roots, and SOMETHING is going on...I will see if I can find any information regarding harvest dates...
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:42 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Hmmmm.. I thought. Perhaps it not terroir, but a reflection of when the grapes are harvested, but since I am not at all familiar with this wine I Googled and found this: http://www.kysela.com/loire/ecu.htm. Looks like a terroir thing. So, you may be right (I may be crazy).

Thanks for the terrific link there Howie. The word "terroir" is gonna bring `em out man! Get ready for some action.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:56 pm

Thomas wrote:I'm a believer--always have been.
I'm a believer also, but it's something I've learned about with experience and I don't believe all claims. However, the notion was really demonstrated this past June when the NiagaraCOOL group toured Cave Spring Winery in Jordan, Ont. Tom, one of the owners, took us to 3 different Riesling vineyards, each miles apart with different soils, slopes and microclimates. We then tasted wines from the different vineyards and they were each distinctive.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:21 pm

Howie Hart wrote:
Thomas wrote:I'm a believer--always have been.
I'm a believer also, but it's something I've learned about with experience and I don't believe all claims. However, the notion was really demonstrated this past June when the NiagaraCOOL group toured Cave Spring Winery in Jordan, Ont. Tom, one of the owners, took us to 3 different Riesling vineyards, each miles apart with different soils, slopes and microclimates. We then tasted wines from the different vineyards and they were each distinctive.

Howie,

I became a believer especially after working with Riesling in the Finger Lakes. The many different vineyard sites within the same micro-climate offer variations that underlie the overall regional qualities. That's what the term "gout de terroir" really refers to--the character of the wine from individual vineyard sites.

I remember when the owner at Cave Springs visited the Finger Lakes in the 1980s, when he was getting started. We spent a lot of time talking, and he was convinced back then.
Thomas P