The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

BTN: My introduction to Russian River Brewing Co.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

BTN: My introduction to Russian River Brewing Co.

by Keith M » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:04 am

I've been looking for good beer retailers around my new home and found a local blog whose author provided me with a very useful annotated list of beer shops in the area. I quickly noted the emphasis he gave to whether a given shop sold Russian River Brewing's Damnation. So when I visited a great local shop (Ledger's Liquors) and saw someone buying RRBC by the case, decided I needed to explore this producer that I have never tried before. I was blown away . . . the Beatification, in particular, was stunning and in a style I don't often run into.

Russian River Brewing Beatification Batch 002. Santa Rosa, California (wild/sour ale) sparkling wine-type mushroom cork with wire cage, 6% – appears blond yellow-orange with lots of white bubbles, cloudy, smell tart watermelony yeast, smooth banana seductive, slight clay, very inviting while a bit stinky mouthfeel smooth, subtle and pleasant, taste wow, this is great stuff, bubblegum without any sugar, tart and yeasty, wonderfully smooth, incredibly interesting complexity, tangy and earthy, this is phenomenal beer, worth it at nearly $14 for 375 ml/12 ounce bottle.

From producer: The beer inside this bottle is 100 percent spontaneously fermented, and we are excited to make it available to you! After a trip to Belgium in 2006, Brewmasters Vinnie Cilurzo & Tomme Arthur (The Lost Abbey) set out to spontaneously ferment beer as they do in Belgium, although with their own unique California craft-beer twist. Vinnie’s spontaneous quest led to two “vintages” of Beatification which were fermented and aged in oak barrels, then blended and bottled to make one final beer. Beatification undergoes a secondary fermentation in this bottle to create its fine carbonation—a process commonly used in Champagne and sparkling wine. Spent yeast cells form a thin layer in the bottom of this bottle, adding even more complexity and flavors

Russian River Brewing Redemption Blonde Ale. Santa Rosa, California (Belgian pale ale) sparkling wine-type mushroom cork with wire cage, 5.65% - appears bright yellow bronze with tons of lacing, smell frothy thick sweet, inviting thick fruit, tart yeast peeking its way through, mouthfeel is crisp and sharp with biting bubbles, taste full tart yet touch of sweet, great crunchy yeast, very approachable, very quenching, yummy spicy coriander finish. Fine with nuts. Made me think of barbeque ribs, or perhaps scallops.

From producer: Redemption is the sister beer to our award winning ale, Damnation. Fashioned after a Belgian-style ‘single’, this ale is rarely brewed in America, let alone Belgium. Typically, ‘singles’ are brewed only at the Trappist Monasteries for the monks to enjoy with meals. They often drink only half of a bottle with lunch and the rest with supper.

Russian River Brewing Damnation Golden Ale Batch 039. Santa Rosa, California (Belgian strong pale ale) sparkling wine-type mushroom cork with wire cage, 7.75% - appears yellow grapefruit juice golden color, huge off white head, smell multilayered nose, raspberry candy, cheese, curry, soft and sweet, mouthfeel firmly bound yet rounded, thin bubble sheet, taste wow complexity galore, bit sweeter but nothing toward caramel, fresh and substantial, cherry tree, savory pork and leek, this is a delicious midsection beer, intense delicious flavor every time, the kind of beer I always wish they had at a pub, with no need to rush but no need to slow down either, amazing stuff. But, yeah, nearly $7 for 750 ml/1 pint 4 ounces.

From producer: In the great beer producing country of Belgium, some brewers have made it a tradition to give their beers an unusual name. Sometimes the name is curious, now and then it is diabolical and other times it is just plain silly. Damnation is our brewmaster's interpretation of a Belgian style Strong Golden Ale.

And the labels for these bottles had lots of useful information: 4 barrels to indicate the beer can age for another 4 years in bottle and a clear logo informing consumers to use a tulip-shaped glass and not a flat-sided pint glass (also imprinted on the cork!)