The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lanson, Moreau, Telegraphe, Bouchard, Ducale, Weinbach

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Lanson, Moreau, Telegraphe, Bouchard, Ducale, Weinbach

by Bill Spohn » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:19 am

These are notes from one of our periodic dinners where 5 of us get together, one cooks a meal and everyone ponies up wine that we just haven’t found an occasion for before, because it is ‘too good’ or our last bottle, or sometimes an oddball wine that doesn’t fit easily into normal tastings.

This one was an interesting format – the host chose the meal and then allocated a course to each other person (we didn’t know what the others were tasked with) who had to come up with THE perfect wine to match with the food. Makes one really think about wine and food matching, and everyone did a good job.

With a trio of tartlets – Putanesca, caramalized onion, and oven roasted tomato with little bocconcini ‘hats’, we had an extra wine I kicked in:

Lanson Black Label Brut Champagne (nv) – clean yeasty nose with a hint of vanilla, nicely balanced and a good showing considering this was something I had left from the millennium (real, not year 2000, which only the simple minded decided was the turn of century etc.)

With seared giant scallops on braised spinach and oyster mushrooms:

2002 Christian Moreau Chablis 1er Cru Vaillon – wet gravel nose, now showing a little colour, smooth mouth feel and enough acidity to mate well with the food.

With prosciutto and black figs (a tough challenge for wine):

2005 Vieux Telegraphe Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc - one of the best white CNduPs I’ve tasted. A wax and honeysuckle nose, smooth and full on palate with sweet honeyed fruit coming in at the end. Very nice wine.

With duck confit salad with walnuts and walnut oil:

2002 Bouchard Pere et Fils Volnay Caillerets Ancienne Cuvee Carnot – medium dark colour with excellent depth of fruit in the nose, mostly dark cherry with a hint of spice, soft and smooth in the mouth, ending with good acidity. An all round great drinking Burgundy with an especially good nose.

With penne with elk sausage and sautéed eggplant:

1990 Ruffino Riserva Ducale Gold Label Chianti Classico – my matching challenge and I dare say it worked out well as the wine was just spot on, and perhaps the best Chianti I’ve had in years. Wish I’d bought more! Quite good dark colour, lightening but not browning at the edges, mellow full nose with aromatic wood and herbs. It still has lots of tannin and acid but the weight to carry it for years to come. I can’t say I think it will improve from where it is today, but it should last for many years.

With poached sockeye salmon with beurre blanc, green beans amandine, and potato:

1999 Dom. Weinbach Schlossberg Grand Cru Schlossberg Cuvée Sainte Catherine " L'Inédit – from a small enclave in their vineyard, this Riesling had a very rich nose, just like a late harvest wine with the same concentration but no botrytis. It was also quite concentrated on palate with great length and finished quite dry.

Every wine stood up in this dinner, with no failures at all, and an excellent meal. My turn next, and I may just adopt the same allocation technique as it seems to work so well!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Lanson, Moreau, Telegraphe, Bouchard, Ducale, Weinbach

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:31 am

Great match up ideas there Bill. I was really surprised with the Riesling/salmon idea. I would never thought of that but it worked eh.

Prosciutto and CdP blanc...brilliant I`d say.
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:23 am

Bill,

Thank you for notes.
Regarding the 2002 Bouchard Volnay Ancienne Cuvee Carnot - as I have a few that are stashed offsite, is that something that should be drunk soon?

Ramon
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:48 am

R Cabrera wrote:Regarding the 2002 Bouchard Volnay Ancienne Cuvee Carnot - as I have a few that are stashed offsite, is that something that should be drunk soon?

No rush at all, but also no real reason to delay the pleasure.

It should last well, but it would be a shame to lose that youthful cherry fruit!
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:33 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Great match up ideas there Bill. I was really surprised with the Riesling/salmon idea. I would never thought of that but it worked eh.

Prosciutto and CdP blanc...brilliant I`d say.

We often drink Riesling as an excellent match with salmon, though many other wines are as well. I tend to use from dry to sweeter (but acid-balanced) Riesling depending on the preparation.
Charles
Charles Weiss