The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Got 1981's you'd like / are willing to get rid of?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

Got 1981's you'd like / are willing to get rid of?

by Ryan M » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:50 pm

Hello Folks,

The Strat's Place crowd already knows about my obsession with finding wines from my humble birth vintage: 1981. I am always interested in tasting whatever wines can be found from the vintage. So, if anyone here has 1981's they would like to get rid of, or are willing to get rid of for little or no price, please let me know. And if you've got some better ones that you'd be willing to let go for a reasonable price, I'd be interested in those as well. And in particular, if anybody has the Oremus Tokaji Aszu 6 Puttonyos, or the regular bottling of Ch. Coutet (Barsac), I'd be very interested in those

Thanks,
Ryan
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Got 1981's you'd like / are willing to get rid of?

by James Roscoe » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:59 pm

Ryan, you really didn't need to post this. Many of us have marriages that have lasted more than 27 years! We don't need some 27 year old whippersnapper reminding us that we're old! :evil: At least you fall on the RIGHT side of the political divide. Good luck with the search for wines from 1981, a year I remember well.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:05 pm

Ryan, you really didn't need to post this. Many of us have marriages that have lasted more than 27 years! We don't need some 27 year old whippersnapper reminding us that we're old! :evil: At least you fall on the RIGHT side of the political divide. Good luck with the search for wines from 1981, a year I remember well.

I promise this is not a gratuitous attempt to make people feel old. And if it makes you feel better, I've already got a wife and three kids, so while I may be 'young,' I've already got more perspective and life experience than most people my age.
Last edited by Ryan M on Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:41 pm

Ryan,
I only have a few singletons (mostly Rioja, plus one Malescot St Exupery that's probably well past it). But if you're ever in NYC area, would happily open one for you.

I've liked some '81 Bdx (Haut Brion, LMHB, Cheval Blanc, Pichon Lalande) in last few years, though I'd call all of them fully mature. But for me best dry red 1981s have been the better Riojas. Both Lopez de Heredia GRs are quite excellent (and the white Tondonia too) , and the CVNE is great.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:54 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Ryan,
I only have a few singletons (mostly Rioja, plus one Malescot St Exupery that's probably well past it). But if you're ever in NYC area, would happily open one for you.

I've liked some '81 Bdx (Haut Brion, LMHB, Cheval Blanc, Pichon Lalande) in last few years, though I'd call all of them fully mature. But for me best dry red 1981s have been the better Riojas. Both Lopez de Heredia GRs are quite excellent (and the white Tondonia too) , and the CVNE is great.

Sadly I don't anticipate being in the NYC area anytime in the foreseeable future, but I do very much appreaciate the offer. Let me turn it around and say that if you ever come to the Indianapolis area, perhaps you'd consider bringing one with you. Always wanted to try one of the Rioja's, as that seems to be the most celebrated region from '81. I've certainly noted the Heredia Bosconia, and would buy it in a heart beat if I had the money (actually that goes for pratically anything from 1981). I've had only two 1981's to date: Pavie, in 2004, which was in remarkable shape, and the Louis Martini La Loma Napa Cab Sauv, also in 2004, which was just singing. Coutet's Cuvee Madame and Penfolds Grange are on my 'will acquire at some point' list, and I hope very much that I get to taste Margaux before it starts to fade.
Galileo Galilei

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:32 pm

I'm guessing you've already been scouring retail options, but just in case you missed this one you might consider checking in periodically with Rare Wine Company. I've never bought from them myself but I hear only good things. And right now they have the 81 Bosconia LdH that Dale mentioned, for $70.

http://www.rarewineco.com
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:07 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I'm guessing you've already been scouring retail options, but just in case you missed this one you might consider checking in periodically with Rare Wine Company. I've never bought from them myself but I hear only good things. And right now they have the 81 Bosconia LdH that Dale mentioned, for $70.

http://www.rarewineco.com

RWC has a number of 81's I'd love to get my hands on. Unfortunately, my grad student budget can't even dream of affording any of them. There's certainly a lot of 81's available at retail and auction, but I'd have to give up my wine allowance for a few months to get even the cheapest of them. So basically I'm bottom-feeding, looking for the odd bottles that folks have in their cellars but have given up on, forgotten about, etc. My eononecrophilia has no limits . . . .
Galileo Galilei