The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Visit With AdamLee/Novy...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: A Visit With AdamLee/Novy...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:50 pm

A Visit With AdamLee at Siduri/Novy (Wed/Aug20)

I made arrangements w/ Adam to try a few of his wines that particularly interested me:

1. Novy Blanc de Noir WillametteVlly (13.9%) 2007: Light yellow color; pleasant slight yeasty
appley/earthy nose; tart/lean crisp appley/earthy flavor; med.long crisp/clean/lean light
yeasty appley/earthy slight spicy finish; does not speak of anything I recognize as PinotNoir
but a pleasant clean/crisp white wine.
cranberry finish w/ light tannins; not the brightness & zip of PinotNoir and a rather earthy/
rustic character some like AltoAdige Pinot.
pencilly/oak finish w/ light tannins; not a lot of fruit to it but avoids most of the ugly
pitfalls of LeonMillot; a rather rustyc/earthy red like a Languedoc red.
flavor; med.long rather hard/tannic light tarry/floral/lilacs/chocolaty light toasty/oak
finish; needs age badly; speaks strong of Nebb of the Gattinara ilk; interesting Nebb.
a brutal wine on the palate; badly needs age; speaks of Nebbiolo.
light alcohol; much like some of ScattHarvey's Renwood Ports.
than the Diesel.
the Rockies. Of the 25-30 that I've had, they can range from not-so-hot to dreadful. They
often have that plasticizer character you get when you stick your head inside a brand new
plastic garbage can. They're usually rough & coarse, underacid, and fairly tannic. Well...
I'm here to tell you that Adam has made the greatest LeonMillot ever made in Calif!!! In point
of fact, it was actually pretty decent red wine and I suspect Adam has pretty well cornered
the LeonMillot market in this country. This came from one of his Oregon vnyds that had a north-
facing slope that would never ripen vinifera, so they decided to put in LeonMillot. It came
in at pretty decent ripeness. Adam couldn't resist when they offered him the grapes.
I was rather impressed by Adam's '05 Nebbiolo, so wanted to try the latest versions. The
grapes come from StolpmanVnyd. Alas, they pulled all their Nebb save for a 2.25 acre block they
saved for SteveClifton (Palmina). Adam gets a small amount of that block from Steve. I think
Adam is on the right track w/ his Nebbiolo. The remind me some Gattinara, some of Valtelline.
But little of Barolo/Barbaresco....and that's a plus in my book.
Adam like to play around w/ Port-style wines, strickly for his own consumption. The
legalities of making Port at Novy are out of the question the paperwork is so bad. The Diesel
is an authentic Port made by addition of a brandy called Diesel. Google failed me on this one
and all I could find was stuff you feed into your car. Usually Ports, especially those fueled
by EverClear have a pretty strong alcoholic character. This one did not. The Sticky was made
by taking a binful of Syrah grapes and simply adding a $hitload (or bagfull) of plain ol'
cane sugar and then fermenting it out until it stuck.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: WTN: A Visit With AdamLee/Novy...(short/boring)

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:38 am

Any idea of how much of the nebbiolo they make, Tom? And whether it's available outside of the tasting room?

Thanks!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: A Visit With AdamLee/Novy...(short/boring)

by Jenise » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:49 am

Fun read, thanks. Had no idea what Leon Millot was. Re the Blanc de Noir--you don't say 'sparkling', but I presume that it was?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Nope...

by TomHill » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:08 am

Jenise wrote:...-you don't say 'sparkling', but I presume that it was?

Jenise,
Not sparkling...just a still wine.
Tom
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Not Much...

by TomHill » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:12 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Any idea of how much of the nebbiolo they make, Tom? And whether it's available outside of the tasting room?

Mike,
They don't make much. The '05 was 4 brls. The (unreleased) '06 about the same. The '07 is a whopping 7 brls. They sell it on the pre-release/futures mailing list & at the tasting room, but probably none gets out to their distributors/retail.
BTW: Any scuttlebutt on DarrellCorti finding a new venue??
Tom
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

Re: Not Much...

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:09 pm

TomHill wrote:Mike,
They don't make much. The '05 was 4 brls. The (unreleased) '06 about the same. The '07 is a whopping 7 brls. They sell it on the pre-release/futures mailing list & at the tasting room, but probably none gets out to their distributors/retail.
Tom

Last I heard about Darrell's place was a cryptic "It ain't looking good" from a friend who had lunch with David Berkeley about a week ago. I really hope that's changed since then. :(

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:05 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:
TomHill wrote:Mike,
Tom

Last I heard about Darrell's place was a cryptic "It ain't looking good" from a friend who had lunch with David Berkeley about a week ago. I really hope that's changed since then. :(

A blogger who works at K&L told me today that he has two sites in mind. Let's hope. The discussion at the Sacramento Bee article from July is quite interesting. A lott of peeved people in East Sac. :?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:34 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:
A blogger who works at K&L told me today that he has two sites in mind. Let's hope. The discussion at the Sacramento Bee article from July is quite interesting. A lott of peeved people in East Sac. :?

There's now a petition going to try to keep them open in their current location through the Christmas holidays. Not sure how that could really make a difference, but you never know.

As long as Darrell finds somewhere in Sacramento to open up in, I'll be happy.

- Julia Child