The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Rising tides don't lift all boats ('05 & '04 Bdx)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Rising tides don't lift all boats ('05 & '04 Bdx)

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:00 am

Last night Betsy and a friend headed to Boscobel to watch "Cymbeline." I was left at home with the dog, a steak (sadly for Lucy, I didn't really share), beans, salad, and leftover greens. I opened the 2005 Ch. Saint-Jacques (Pomerol). I temper my expectations due to the M. Touton on label. Good thing I didn't have my hopes up. Wood overlying ripe cherry fruit, but despite the ripeness there's an annoying green streak. Tannins are rough and biting, though overall this has less body than I expect from a 2005 Bordeaux. I decide this ISN'T what I want with my steak, set aside. Revisited 3+ hours later, the tannins have softened a bit, though still tacky, and overall its a bit better. Still, no desire to save, and about 20 oz goes into vinegar crock. C

My switchover steak wine was a half bottle of the 2004 Ch. Cantemerle (Haut-Medoc). A touch of vanilla over some solid cassis fruit, nicely balanced acidity, tannins there but ripe/supple. Some pencil on finish. Much more attractive than the unknown Pomerol, a nice fairly classic claret that could use a little time. B/B+

When Betsy got home, she brought back a couple of ounces from the 375 of 2004 Ch. d'Aiguilhe I had armed her with. Ripe berries and dark plums, noticable toasty oak that isn't too obtrusive, just a hint of ferric minerals. Modern but nice, though I'd give the edge to the Cantemerle. B

(edited for title typo, let's see if it changes thread title or just this post, thanks guys (though I like Wine Yuck and Wine Yelling ideas)Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Last edited by Dale Williams on Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

Re: WYN: Rising tides don't lift all boats ('05 & '04 Bdx)

by Bruce Hayes » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:19 am

Hmmm, okay, I give...what is a WYN???!!

Wine Yelling Notes? :D

Noting that the letters "Y" and "T" live next to each other on a keyboard, I suspect it is merely a result of a misplaced finger.

Made me curious enough to read your WTN though.
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:33 am

Funny, that's just what the corrupt cop said to the pimp when he found out how popular the latter's girls had become in a film I recommend called "In Bruges".

Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:17 am

I thought it might be "Wine Yuck Notes" :mrgreen:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach