The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lunch With SteveEdmunds...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Lunch With SteveEdmunds...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:26 pm

Lunch With SteveEdmunds (Tues/Aug 19)

When I go to NorthernCalif, I almost always get together w/ SteveEdmunds and OliverMcCrum and
the venue of choice is usually BayWolf in Oakland, one of my favorite restaurants. Alas, Oliver
was in Italy this trip, so missed out. An added bonus was that today was also Steve's BD (#61).
He got a very silly & appropriate card. Gotta say...he looked pretty good for a 61 yr old codger.
As usual, the meal was simple but very/very well made. Lunch out on the front deck of BayWolf
on a bright/sunny day w/ good wines and great company...just don't get no better. The wines:

1. DeRose CienegaVlly Viognier DryFarmed/OldVines (15.6%) 2006: Light gold color; clean/bright
pear/Viognier slightly alcoholic slight minerally nose; tart clean bright/pear/Viognier
vibrant light minerally flavor; med.long bright/pear/Viog finish; carries the alcohol well, though
Steve thought it noticible; very atractive very non-DollyParton Viognier.
finish; Steve thought the wine was noticibly oxidized but I didn't get a lot of that nutty/
oxidized character and it just seemed to have that overripe/rotted fruit character; not a
good example of aged Viognier.
Gamay/strawberry rather earthy/dusty/mushroomy finish w/ light tannins; nicely done Gamay
that speaks of Beauj GrandCru w/o the tannins.
strawberry/Alpine strawberry/Gamay light earthy/ElDorado finish w/ light tannins; lots of
bright/vibrant Alpine strawberry/Nehi soda pop fruit.
Valdiguie in Calif), he was eager to make his own Beaujolais, which his word-play name is
BoneJolly. And a pretty darn good one 'tis. Instead of being the usual tooty-fruity style of
Calif Gamay, the ElDorado terrior gives the BJ a slightly earthy/mushroomy character you find
real Beaujolais GrandCru.
The BJ comes from WittersVnyd that has rather volcanic soil. The new planting at Barsotti
is on soil that is mostly decomposed granite, hence the name Porphyry (there's an Terlan
AltoAdige Lagrein that carries the Porphyr name on the label). The two Gamays are noticibly
different in character, with the Porphyry having a much brighter Gamay fruit to it, maybe a bit
less GrandCru in character. If the BJ is bright red, the Porphyry is a shocking neon pink.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: WTN: Lunch With SteveEdmunds...(short/boring)

by Florida Jim » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:35 pm

Tom,
Have you had the new "Heart of Gold" from ESJ yet?
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Lunch With SteveEdmunds...(short/boring)

by Rahsaan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:40 pm

Florida Jim wrote:Tom,
Best, Jim

Do you have strong feelings about it?

I remember a bottle from the 'early days' back in May (had it been recently bottled?) and it was quite fun and refreshing although I have yet to get as excited by Steve's white wines as I do by his red wines.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:02 pm

Florida Jim wrote:Tom,
Best, Jim

Had this a few weeks ago in my tasting. His ElDorado GrenacheBlanc/Vermintino blend. It's a pretty tart/acid wine w/ a lot of steely minerality.
Some thought it too acid, but that's how I like most of my wines. It's got very nice aromatics and I think it'll age very well. It's another solid
white from Steve.
Tom