The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Forgeron, Copain

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Forgeron, Copain

by Jenise » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:40 pm

2004 Forgeron Zinfandel, Washington
There's a very little amount of zinfandel being grown in Washington, and at $32 this is probably the most expensive. Opened a bottle last weekend that showed very pronounced American oak and cedary notes. Hated it, let guests drink most of the bottle, then ended up with about 2 inches of wine in the bottom of the bottle with a cork barely stuck into the neck for the next six days. Last night I went to pour it out, presuming "of course it's a goner by now" but I tasted it first. What a surprise! It's not a goner at all, in fact it's become a very relaxed and elegant wine, still zinny but very well-rounded, like a Biale. Have one remaining bottle, will leave it for 2012 or beyond.

2001 Copain Syrah, Eaglepoint Ranch, Mendocino County, California
What a nice place this is in right now. The last bottle we opened, about 18 months ago, seemed very California-ish, sweet, black and sappy like a Paso Robles but without the alcohol. Not any more--it's really come into balance. There's red fruit amid the black, with herbs and minerality amid the developing secondary nuances. Good acidity and silky tannins suggest there's no rush to drink the rest--the wine should hold here or improve for a few years.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

Re: WTN: Forgeron, Copain

by AlexR » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:43 pm

Interesting, these French names for American wines!

Don't know if they're named after their owners or not.

Forgeron = blacksmith

Copain = buddy

Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:45 pm

Thanks for the notes. Never heard or seen Forgeron. Sounds interesting. Glad to hear how the Copain is evolving. Wells is making impressive wines ... maybe in 10 years we will be talking about them with even higher regard.

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:58 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:Thanks for the notes. Never heard or seen Forgeron. Sounds interesting. Glad to hear how the Copain is evolving. Wells is making impressive wines ... maybe in 10 years we will be talking about them with even higher regard.

Jason

Forgeron is a small Washington winery whose lady winemaker (who is French, I believe, but can't swear to) favors restraint and elegance. I've never had a wine from her that I didn't want more of except, initially, this zinfandel, which I now have to eat crow about. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:05 pm

Jenise wrote:2001 Copain Syrah, Eaglepoint Ranch, Mendocino County, California What a nice place this is in right now. The last bottle we opened, about 18 months ago, seemed very California-ish, sweet, black and sappy like a Paso Robles but without the alcohol. Not any more--it's really come into balance. There's red fruit amid the black, with herbs and minerality amid the developing secondary nuances. Good acidity and silky tannins suggest there's no rush to drink the rest--the wine should hold here or improve for a few years.

Jenise, to your knowledge is Eaglepoint the same vineyard that the Sebastiani brothers made their Reserve cabernet from way back in the 70's to early 80's? I bought a wood case of the 1981 Sebastiani reserve from the 1981 vintage that I heard was a victim of the family break-up. The story I got was that when Don and his Mother kicked Sam out of the family business, Don proceeded to re-label and declassify the 81 reserve and I bought it for ( I don't remember what) but it was not much..maybe $8 a bottle....maybe less.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:48 am

No idea, Bob. I only know that Eaglepoint Ranch is fairly large, and I'm not aware of there being more than one grape source by that name. But there could be.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:28 am

Just heard Sebastiani has been sold!