The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Escarpment Pinot Noir, Martinborough, NZ

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

WTN: 2006 Escarpment Pinot Noir, Martinborough, NZ

by Anders Källberg » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:14 pm

The latest vintage available, at least here in Sweden, of Larry McKenna's lovely Escarpment Pinot Noirs from Martinborough is 2006. From this vintage he has also released the "Insight Series", from three different vineyards, attempting to show that there is terroir, also in Martinborough. While I have still to taste any of the single vineyard wines (Moana, Voyager, and Te Rehua), here are my impressions of the basic Pinot Noir.

Medium deep red/purple with a rather dense core.
The nose is wonderfully deep and perfumed, with lots of pinosity. Dark red fruit of strawberries and cherries. A hint of the meatiness that I find typical of the Martinborough Pinots. Definitely quite a lot of toasty oak, but it is beautifully integrated in the deep, aromatic fruit.
The first impression of the palate is of a fresh acidity but soon the intense, spicy taste spreads and fills the mouth. A deep chewable fruit and wonderfully silky tannins is giving a lovely mouthfeel. Long, a bit dry and slightly earthy aftertaste with some of the toasted oak shining through, but also giving it character. I simply love this kind of wine for its combination of the pure, aromatic Pinot fruit and the depth, chewiness and character. I look forward to taste one of the wines in the Insight Series!
Cheers,
Anders
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: WTN: 2006 Escarpment Pinot Noir, Martinborough, NZ

by Bob Henrick » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:51 pm

Anders Källberg wrote:The latest vintage available, at least here in Sweden, of Larry McKenna's lovely Escarpment Pinot Noirs from Martinborough is 2006. From this vintage he has also released the "Insight Series", from three different vineyards, attempting to show that there is terroir, also in Martinborough. While I have still to taste any of the single vineyard wines (Moana, Voyager, and Te Rehua), here are my impressions of the basic Pinot Noir. Anders
Truncated

Anders, I haven't seen these wines here in the USA, but I looked at their web page and see that the pinot noir sells from $64 - 82 per 750ml bottle. I am guessing that is NZ dollars, and have no clue what the exchange rate would be. I suspect though it would put these wines out of my reach, lovely as you make them sound. :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:07 am

Bob Henrick wrote:
Anders Källberg wrote:The latest vintage available, at least here in Sweden, of Larry McKenna's lovely Escarpment Pinot Noirs from Martinborough is 2006. From this vintage he has also released the "Insight Series", from three different vineyards, attempting to show that there is terroir, also in Martinborough. While I have still to taste any of the single vineyard wines (Moana, Voyager, and Te Rehua), here are my impressions of the basic Pinot Noir. Anders
Truncated

Anders, I haven't seen these wines here in the USA, but I looked at their web page and see that the pinot noir sells from $64 - 82 per 750ml bottle. I am guessing that is NZ dollars, and have no clue what the exchange rate would be. I suspect though it would put these wines out of my reach, lovely as you make them sound. :-)

I see them on wine-searcher for $35 (typing Escarpment Pinot Noir Martinborough).
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:28 pm

I sell this wine here in Oregon and it is $36. I would agree that it is very good value for Pinot Noir. I have not yet seen any of the other terroir wines. As the prices of many Oregon Pinots go up, it has been easier to offer customers some New Zealand choices. There are probably 55-60 producers available here in our market. I just got in the 2005 Palliser from Martinborough and Nautilus from Marlborough.
no avatar
User

Michael Grossman

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:19 pm

Los Angeles

by Michael Grossman » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:57 pm

A friend recently returned from Martinborough where he bought a vineyard and will produce Pinot Noir. He highly recommended two NZ Pinots to me: Ata Rangi and Escarpment. Fortunately for me both are locally available here in Los Angeles. I had the Ata Rangi the other night (which was superb) and just returned from Woodland Hills Wine Co. where I got the '06 Escarpment for $35. Looking forward to having it next week.