The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Amayna Pinot Noir Leyda Valley

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2006 Amayna Pinot Noir Leyda Valley

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:37 am

2006 Amayna Pinot Noir Leyda Valley 14.5% Brazil price US$62/US price US$25
Part of an ongoing survey of southern cone pinot noirs. Not very appealing dull cherry color, but attractive and expressive nose of violets, with prominent salinity and a touch of cherry. Very smooth mouthfeel, and strong acidity before food. Flavors of cherry, raspberry, rhubarb and cloves. Sweetish finish. Unobtrusive oak. After food, the acidity recedes (as usual) and the excessive alcohol begins to stick out (as it usually does, at this point, in wines made from over ripe grapes in hot climates). The red fruit begins to stew and become compote. Simply not enough pinosity. A well-made contemporary wine in which richness, smoothness and aromatic expression are obtained at the cost of high alcohol and to the detriment of character. Still very young, but will it age well? I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised if it has sacrificed its future in exchange for its present.

I can't say that every southern hemisphere pinot above 13.5% should be avoided because I recently had the Luca, which was very good and integrated its 14.5% very well. But high alcohol might very well be a red flag.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

Re: WTN: 2006 Amayna Pinot Noir Leyda Valley

by Anders Källberg » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:11 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:2006 Amayna Pinot Noir Leyda Valley 14.5%
Part of an ongoing survey of southern cone pinot noirs.

It is nice to follow your survey of the southern cone Pinots, Oswaldo. Let me just ask for a clarification. the use of "southern cone" to describe what I suppose is the southern part of South America is new to me, so I wonder how much is included in this name? Is it only Chile and the south of Argentina or maybe more? In fact I had not realized what Cono Sur actually means until I read your use of "southern cone"
I can't say that every southern hemisphere pinot above 13.5% should be avoided because I recently had the Luca, which was very good and integrated its 14.5% very well. But high alcohol might very well be a red flag.

I'd say this warning is valid for most Pinots, not only those from the southern hemisphere. Since Pinot is a rather delicate grape, for Pinots above 14% there is a clear risk that the alcohol is taking over the wine. However, those with a good amount of pinosity seem to be able to hold back the alcohol better. As an example, I once tasted an Italian Pinot, Il Girone from Boccadigabbia in the Marche, that had 15% alcohol. While in the most recent vintage the fruit was holding the alcohol back rather well, in a vintage that was a just few years old, the fruit had collapsed totally and the fiery alcohol was dominating in a rather unpleasant way.

Cheers,
Anders
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:03 am

Thank you, Anders, nice to know someone is reading with appreciation.

Yes, we use "southern cone" (cono sur in Spanish, cone sul in Portuguese, ye sotherne conne in olde English) to mean Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay and the south of Brazil. All except Chile are part of Mercosur (or Mercosul, in Portuguese), a free trade zone.

Take care!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:50 am

Amayna has shown up here on the shelves. Their SB I believe.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:10 am

Last night I quite enjoyed the `05. Will write up when I have time!