The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wineries in Slovenia, south of Trieste?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Vinod V

Rank

Just got here

Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:50 pm

Philadelphia

Wineries in Slovenia, south of Trieste?

by Vinod V » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:16 pm

Does anyone know the details of any wineries accepting visitors in this part of Slovenia? It looks likely that I will spend a few days near Piran at the end of the month and would love to make a wine-related day-trip in the area. Unfortunately, I won't likely be able to make it north to Brda.

thanks in advance.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Wineries in Slovenia, south of Trieste?

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:57 am

Vinod V wrote:Does anyone know the details of any wineries accepting visitors in this part of Slovenia? It looks likely that I will spend a few days near Piran at the end of the month and would love to make a wine-related day-trip in the area. Unfortunately, I won't likely be able to make it north to Brda.

thanks in advance.

Vinod, I've traveled to some extent in Slovenia, and have found that in general, the smaller wineries love to see visitors, because they are still struggling for recognition.

That being said, the major regions I've visited are Gorizka Brda (adjacent to Italy's Friuli), Jerusalem (near Croatia in the south), and the region - can't bring back the name right now - north of Maribor adjacent to Austria. I remember a quick run to the region south of Trieste - Carso? Something like that - and recall that it reminded me of Coonawarra in that everyone was proud of the red earth and was constantly talking about it. Sorry I don't have any notes on specific wineries, but again, Slovenia's wine roads in general struck me as some of the friendliest places on earth.
no avatar
User

Vinod V

Rank

Just got here

Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:50 pm

Philadelphia

Re: Wineries in Slovenia, south of Trieste?

by Vinod V » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:55 pm

Robin, thanks for your note. In the end, it was easier to do the research on the ground. Turns out that there are quite a few wineries in that part of Slovenia, between Koper and Piran. Actually didn't visit any of these because I ended up freeing up the time to spend a day in Collio in Friuli (with some forays into the Slovenian side), and it was much as you described. Brilliant place for wine touring. I did also cross over to the Maribor area, stunningly beautiful, but we hit a patch of bad weather and ultimately turned back to Ljubljana. Plenty of great wine bars in the city centre, and the locals are enthusiastic, and, at least those that I met, knowledgeable.

A simply tremendous area for visiting wineries, can't wait to get back.

cheers,

Vinod