The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN - Impressions from a Recent Wine Dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

WTN - Impressions from a Recent Wine Dinner

by John S » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:15 pm

A few fellow wine lovers came over for dinner on the weekend. I decided to try a seafood theme, and suggested an all white wine event. One guest almost fainted at the suggestion, but then somewhat reluctantly agreed to the idea. We didn't take notes, and I was busy slaving away in the kitchen, so these are pretty basic impressions of the wines (all non-blind).

For the life of me, I can't remember what we paired with what, but here's the menu:
Smoked salmon dip
Pan seared scallops with lime and cilantro sauce
Crabcakes with a lemon dill sauce
Bouillabase
Pan seared halibut with rice pilaf and honeyed carrots

The salmon appetizer was definnitley paired with a 1999 Dr. Pauly-Bergweiler Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Spätlese, which was an enjoyable riesling showing some nice aged characteristics, but a bit more acidity would have been nice. Nice long finish, though (B+).

A champange was opened next, a Diebolt-Vallois Brut NV to be exact. Certainly a pleasant NV wine, with some toasty notes and a lemony finish (B+).

The scallops were paired, I think, with a 2001 Paul Blanck Rosenberg Riesling. A lovely Alsacian wine that was filled with mainly citrus and some tropical fruits, great minerality, and healthy acidity (A-).

I think we had a 2004 Alain Voge 'Fleur de Crussol' from the St Peray region of the Northern Rhone next. It was a great Marsanne, very interesting in terms of texture and flavours. Don't remember much else of this one, other than I liked it (A-)!

Someone was calling for more wine, so I rummaged downstairs and came up with a 1999 Chateau Musar Blanc. Wow. I tried this at a tasting with Serge pouring his wines a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. But I wasn't prepared for how well this bottle showed last night. It is one of the most singular wines I have ever had. The three other tasters weren't as impressed as I, but I was blown away by the power of the wine, the oily texture on the long finish, the hint of oxidation, the wonderfully unique flavours on profile. Stunning! (A/A+). I ordered several more bottles the next day! I think we had this with the Bouillabase, filled with tons of snapper and shrimp.

With the halibut, I think we had the two chablis. First we tried a 2002 Domaine Christian Moreau 1er Cru Vaillons Cuvée Guy Moreau, which was showing nicely, with lemon, lots of minerals and a hint of butterscotch on the balanced palate. Classic chablis, with no oxidation problems here (yet) (A-). We followed that up with a 1998 William Fevre Valmur Grand Cru, which had a mouthful of wet rocks, lemon and lime fruits, and did I mention minerals - this wine left imprints of ancient fossils from the limestone on my tongue (A-)!

We had to have a token red, so out came the 2004 Quinta do Vale Meao after all the food had been consumed. It had been opened 6 hours earlier, but it was still pretty tight, with a bit too much oak for my liking, and somewhat international in style. But it had incredible concentration and an amazing mouthfeel, so in 5 years or so this could be a stunner (A-).

Really interesting dinner and wines! WOTN was the Musar for me.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN - Impressions from a Recent Wine Dinner

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:27 am

John, did you decant the Musar? Otto is a strong believer in this!
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

British Columbia

by John S » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:03 pm

I know it should have been decanted, and I was grumbling to myself about just popping and pouring it, but it was stunning anyway! That surprised me, as I thought it would be quite closed. One never knows...
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:52 pm

John,

Great report! If you have time would you be willing to post the recipe for the scallops with the cilantro lime sauce?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

British Columbia

by John S » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:43 pm

The sauce was really easy - I just threw some fish sauce and lime in the pan I fried the scallops in, and then added a touch of white wine and briefly cooked it. Fresh cilantro and butter was added near the end. I served the scallops on top of some organic greens lightly dressed with a mustard vinegarette.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:39 am

Thanks for the details, John. I will give that a try soon.
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:49 pm

John S wrote:I know it should have been decanted, and I was grumbling to myself about just popping and pouring it, but it was stunning anyway! That surprised me, as I thought it would be quite closed. One never knows...

John, 2 bottles of the `00 Blanc on the way! $35 a piece, 3 left on the shelf I`m told.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

British Columbia

by John S » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:24 am

That's the same price the 1999 is here in BC... the 2000 hasn't arrived yet.

BTW, I had another bottle of the 1999 Musar Blanc, and I didnt like it quite as much, but still thought it was an excellent wine - so incredibly unique. I've got three more waiting to be slowly picked off over the next 5-10 years.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:37 am

John, do you think this white Musar will have enough staying-power? Otto emailed me and is unsure at this time.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

British Columbia

by John S » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:55 pm

I guess I'll find out! Ten years might be a bit much, but the way the wine is drinking right now, it seems it will last a while yet. But I admit I don't have a lot of experience with Musar blancs.