The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Champers purchase in NYC

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

Champers purchase in NYC

by Bruce Hayes » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:05 am

So, after touring a number of liquor stores during our New York vacation, I finally arrived at Garnet Wines and Liquors on Lexington, which was having a 10 per cent off sale on everything!! That's my kind of sale. :D

Thanks to the archane rules of Canada Customs, I was limited to four bottles (two for me and two for my wife), so I came out with some cheapie champagne, all NV:

Gonet-Medeville Blanc de Noirs Premier Cru
Gonet-Medeville Tradition Brut
Beaumont des Crayeres Grande Reserve
Chanoine Grande Reserve

Not bad for $102 all in. The cheapest (and best) NV champagne available in Ontario is Lanson Black Label at almost $50 (Canadian), so I am quite pleased with my purchases.

Will open one tonight.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Champers purchase in NYC

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:21 pm

I will be very curious to hear how those go for you. The only one I am familiar with is the Beaumont des Crayeres. Hopefully the prices will turn out to be good QPR.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:21 pm

Yes, interesting selection, David's one up on me, they're all new to me!
Open soon so you can report! :)
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:33 pm

i've gotten better champagne in ontario than lanson. the vintages section of the store in windsor has had some very interesting stuff at decent prices. even the regular stores have had charles heidseick 'mis en cave' stuff.

anyway, is the chenoine their Tsarine cuvee? this is supposed to be the good stuff and is the only one i've had. it was very good - the red label - and only 22e at a little market in paris. the green label was more at a top end shop.

if you are big on champagne, have you ever thought of becoming a placqueomusiphille? that is someone like me who collects the metal capsules - called placques des musilets. there are even special books whose pages have indentations that they will snap into.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:00 pm

David Creighton wrote:...is the chenoine their Tsarine cuvee? this is supposed to be the good stuff and is the only one i've had. it was very good - the red label - and only 22e at a little market in paris. the green label was more at a top end shop.

The bottle does have a red label, but I don't see anything about a Tsarine cuvee, just the words Grande Reserve.