The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 02 Roty Rosé

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: 02 Roty Rosé

by Rahsaan » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:06 pm

I was intrigued when I saw a bottle of 2002 Joseph Roty Marsannay Rosé in the store but suffered a predictable letdown upon opening when I tasted the sour funky metallic mess. Yes, it seemed like the wine had seen better days.

But, after letting it chill down further it began to firm up and offer a few glasses of pleasure. One could almost sense the pinot noir fruit underneath all the sour metal but at this point most of that fruit has gone tart and fading. So yes, a few interesting sips but for the most part it has indeed seen better days.
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

Re: WTN: 02 Roty Rosé

by MtBakerDave » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:17 pm

It's too bad this one was allowed to get old before it was drunk. Roty Marsannay Rose is certainly one of my favorite Rose's in the world. It's great earthiness sets it apart from most I taste.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 02 Roty Rosé

by Rahsaan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:39 pm

MtBakerDave wrote:It's too bad this one was allowed to get old before it was drunk. Roty Marsannay Rose is certainly one of my favorite Rose's in the world. It's great earthiness sets it apart from most I taste.

They also had the 01 which must have been even further gone.

I suppose you could say there was an 'earthy' textural and flavor aspect to this 02. But all the fruit was gone so I'll have to look for fresher examples in the future.