The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Favorite food to pair with Malbec

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Favorite food to pair with Malbec

by Maria Samms » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:03 am

I was wondering what everyone's favorite food is to pair with an Argentinean Malbec?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Favorite food to pair with Malbec

by David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:09 am

Grilled meat.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:51 pm

I'll second that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:58 pm

Cinnamon Raisin Bagels. :twisted:

However, I'd put some sort of grilled cow a close second.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:39 pm

In addition to the obvious, already stated, Malbec (assuming it's not overoaked, internationalized and Parkerized) is remarkably good with pizza!
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:06 pm

Great...thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Bill :roll: , we all know that "bagels" with cinnamon and raisins are actually called breadwheels. Let's use the proper terminology here...LOL!

I actually tasted my 2nd Malbec last night. It was very good...it reminded me of a cross between Merlot and a Chianti. It seemed very food friendly. I had it with some roasted chicken last night and would like to taste it again tonight.

Robin, I am making Giambotta tonight...mine has little meatballs, zucchini, string beans, and potatoes...do you think it would be ok with that?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Steve Kirsch

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Detroit, MI

by Steve Kirsch » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:10 pm

Maria Samms wrote:Robin, I am making Giambotta tonight...mine has little meatballs, zucchini, string beans, and potatoes...do you think it would be ok with that?

Maria, I'm not Robin, but I recommend you take Eric Asimov's advice and try a bottle of Puzelat's Loire malbec named "KO" (In Cot we Trust). You may never feel the same way again about malbec!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:00 pm

Maria Samms wrote:Robin, I am making Giambotta tonight...mine has little meatballs, zucchini, string beans, and potatoes...do you think it would be ok with that?

It shouldn't war with the polp ... er, meatballs, Maria, but I think the tomato sauce with the meat is the thing that makes Chianti (and Malbec) sing with both pizza and with pasta and meat sauce, gravy, etc.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:23 pm

Regular Malbec with burgers and lotsa ketchup.

Catena Alta Malbec with Charred Beast.

Big ol' Cahors (something from Georges Vigouroux, like the Haut Serre '90) with wild hare.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:15 am

Yup. Dead steers. Brisket seared, braised and then grilled some more.

But if it will work with Zin, it'll probably work with Malbec. They're both blue-collar wines.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:24 am

Maybe this should be three questions: What's your favorite food with (1) Loire Malbecs (Cot), (2) Argentine Malbecs, and (3) Cahors? For food matching purposes Loire Malbecs and the other two don't have a lot in common.
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:48 am

I'd be tempted to say Cassoulet, even in the case of the Cots.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Christine Cross

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:52 am

Caesarea, Israel

by Christine Cross » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:30 am

I'm going to show my ignorance here, as I've only had Portteus Malbec (Rattlesnake Hills AVA, WA) and I'm not sure which style it falls into; but we find it pairs rather well with takeout Mexican, the abovementioned pizza, and anything my best friend's Honduran mother cooks.
"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating." -Luciano Pavarotti
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:03 am

Thanks everyone...I hope to try some French Malbec soon as well.

Robin, the Malbec did well with the Giambotta, especially since, like you said, it marries well with the tomato sauce.

Christine - I could definitely see this wine pairing well with Mexican. I might do that next time.

I really enjoyed the Malbec...I don't know what took me so long to try them. It will certainly be added to my favorite everyday wines. It definitely reminded me of Zin or Shiraz, but much better acidity and lower alcohol. Like I said, I was impressed how food friendly it was.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:57 am

Maria Samms wrote:I really enjoyed the Malbec...I don't know what took me so long to try them. It will certainly be added to my favorite everyday wines. It definitely reminded me of Zin or Shiraz, but much better acidity and lower alcohol. Like I said, I was impressed how food friendly it was.

Are you going to tell us what it was, or just keep us in suspense? :lol:
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:41 am

Clint Hall wrote:Maybe this should be three questions: What's your favorite food with (1) Loire Malbecs (Cot), .

Psst - Clint, I think you meany Cahors, which is way south of the Loire. I'm a big fan od Cahors - you don't see any of the sort of over-fruited jammy crap you see from the same grape made elsewhere.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:01 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:
Are you going to tell us what it was, or just keep us in suspense? :lol:

Oh, LOL, sorry Oswaldo! Yes it's the 2006 Rutini Trumpeter Malbec. A friend brought it over a while back and I saw it the other night and decided to give it a try. Definitely a good everyday drinker, especially since we eat a lot of grilled meats.

I don't think I realized that Cahors is Malbec. Is it a varietal or a blend made primarily with Malbec? I haven't tried a Cahors either, but I most certainly will. I usually prefer a wine that is more traditional in style. Can anyone suggest a good Cahors?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:32 am

Maria Samms wrote:I don't think I realized that Cahors is Malbec. Is it a varietal or a blend made primarily with Malbec?

Depends who is making it.

Some will be 100% malbec and as they seek softer and easier wines the percentage of merlot will increase.

I usually prefer a wine that is more traditional in style. Can anyone suggest a good Cahors?

Gamot, Cayrou. And don't forget Clos Roche Blance Cot (not Cahors, but...).
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:52 am

Clos Coutale should be around. Good wine!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:01 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Clos Coutale should be around. Good wine!

Agree. Available and cheap. Nothing wrong with that.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:17 am

I don't drink much Malbec, but when I do, it's always with beef pot roast or beefsteak grilled over hardwood. I just find a natural affinity between them.

Although I am a Pinotage fan first and foremost, I do think that with non-grilled (i.e. oven-roasted, or stewed) beef, Malbec, Tannat, Cab and Merlot work better; Pinotage on the other hand really shines with the hardwood-grilled beef and savoury foods (it's great with anything calling for extra-sharp old cheddar in the recipe).
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:04 pm

Maria Samms wrote:Oh, LOL, sorry Oswaldo! Yes it's the 2006 Rutini Trumpeter Malbec. A friend brought it over a while back and I saw it the other night and decided to give it a try. Definitely a good everyday drinker, especially since we eat a lot of grilled meats.

I don't think I realized that Cahors is Malbec. Is it a varietal or a blend made primarily with Malbec? I haven't tried a Cahors either, but I most certainly will. I usually prefer a wine that is more traditional in style. Can anyone suggest a good Cahors?

Good choice! I like the whole Rutini line, starting with the entry-level Trumpeter, and going up from there.

For simple everyday Cahors I like Coutale too, also available in half bottles.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:31 am

At a recent Malbec wine tasting, one of the side dishes was grilled duck breast. Excellent match! (Thanks Lotti and Beth!)

Salute
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:53 pm

John - Santa Clara wrote:But if it will work with Zin, it'll probably work with Malbec. They're both blue-collar wines.

....? Care to clarify what you mean by blue-collar...?
Alejandro Audisio - drink wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes!!!
ITB in Buenos Aires, Argentina
Next