The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Favorite food to pair with Malbec

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Favorite food to pair with Malbec

by Carl Eppig » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:04 pm

Alejandro Audisio wrote:....? Care to clarify what you mean by blue-collar...?

The way I understand the story, it was made popular by your gouchos who took the remains of castrated yearlings and threw them in the fire until they were blackened; and then washed them down with Malbec. Now that's blue collar!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:
Maria Samms wrote:Oh, LOL, sorry Oswaldo! Yes it's the 2006 Rutini Trumpeter Malbec. A friend brought it over a while back and I saw it the other night and decided to give it a try. Definitely a good everyday drinker, especially since we eat a lot of grilled meats.

I don't think I realized that Cahors is Malbec. Is it a varietal or a blend made primarily with Malbec? I haven't tried a Cahors either, but I most certainly will. I usually prefer a wine that is more traditional in style. Can anyone suggest a good Cahors?

Good choice! I like the whole Rutini line, starting with the entry-level Trumpeter, and going up from there.

For simple everyday Cahors I like Coutale too, also available in half bottles.

Here are a few more fine Cahors estates; Château du Cèdre, Château Lamartine, Clos Triguedina, Haut Montplaisir. I have also heard good of Cosse Maisonneuve. I find that Cahors is quite different from Argentian Malbec; more savoury and austere with mineral flavours and marked tannins whereas Argentinian tends to have sweeter fruit and a thicker consistency. I personally would serve different foods with them; rich savoury duck and goose dishes with beans from South Western France are naturally superb with Cahors whereas I would expect a more fusion approach to suit Argentinian better.

PS: from memory Cahors must have a minimum content of 70% Malbec, Merlot and Tannat also being authorised. Naturally those with a lot of Merlot tend to be softer. Some 100% Malbec cuvées exist, e.g. Triguedina's Prince Probus.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:17 pm

Tim is spot on as usual......Clos Triguedina,

Will have to check to see if there is a new vintage in town!
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:43 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:
Alejandro Audisio wrote:....? Care to clarify what you mean by blue-collar...?

The way I understand the story, it was made popular by your gouchos who took the remains of castrated yearlings and threw them in the fire until they were blackened; and then washed them down with Malbec. Now that's blue collar!

I was gonna say "Goes good with barbecue" but your explanation trumps mine by a mile! :D
Previous