The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Felluga Ronco dei Moneri Refosco '06..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Felluga Ronco dei Moneri Refosco '06..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:37 pm

Also tried last night:
1. MarcoFelluga Ronco dei Moneri Refosco Dal PeduncolaRosso IGT Venezia Giulia (13.5%) Gradisca d'Isonzo 2006: Typical black color; very intense licorice/black cherry/blueberry some pingent/ozone/WWII beacon somewhat earthy/minerally lovely/complex/terroir-driven nose; tart rather hard/tannic/rough/bitey/austere quite earthy/minerally black cherry/bing cherry/blackberry/licorice/pungent flavor; very long tannic/hard/austere minerally/earthy/stoney licorice/bing cherry finish; needs 2-8 yrs of age; rather hard/tannic/austere on the palate but classic Refosco aromatics; terrific Refosco at a great price; great food wine. $23.00
1. I was pretty impressed by the structure of this wine. Refoscos from Italy I've had tend to be a bit softer & fleshier, w/ only a bit of a tannic bite. This was more akin to a Savoie Mondeuse (same variety supposedly) on the palate, but less earthiness and much more aromatic fruit. Of course, not as good as the world's greatest Mondeuse...which would be MikeOfficer's.
Tom
no avatar
User

Wink Lorch

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:16 pm

London/France

Re: WTN: Felluga Ronco dei Moneri Refosco '06..(short/boring)

by Wink Lorch » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:30 am

TomHill wrote:And a wee BloodyPulpit:
1. I was pretty impressed by the structure of this wine. Refoscos from Italy I've had tend to be a bit softer & fleshier, w/ only a bit of a tannic bite. This was more akin to a Savoie Mondeuse (same variety supposedly) on the palate, but less earthiness and much more aromatic fruit. Of course, not as good as the world's greatest Mondeuse...which would be MikeOfficer's.
Tom

Refosco has been proven to be not the same as Mondeuse, though older books claim it to be so. Mondeuse is a relative of Syrah (either grandchild or grandparent!) - those of you who are Purple Pagers on Jancis R's site can see articles published last December about this (do a search on Mondeuse) and it will be the lead story in my chapter in the 2009 Wine Report, out very soon.

Having said that I can see why you would connect the two from your description of the wine.

Please could you explain or tell me what is MikeOfficer's Mondeuse??
Wink Lorch - Wine writer, editor and educator
http://winetravelmedia.com and http://jurawine.co.uk
Also http://www.winetravelguides.com
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Thanks...

by TomHill » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:15 pm

Wink Lorch wrote:Refosco has been proven to be not the same as Mondeuse, though older books claim it to be so. Mondeuse is a relative of Syrah (either grandchild or grandparent!) - those of you who are Purple Pagers on Jancis R's site can see articles published last December about this (do a search on Mondeuse) and it will be the lead story in my chapter in the 2009 Wine Report, out very soon.

Having said that I can see why you would connect the two from your description of the wine.

Please could you explain or tell me what is MikeOfficer's Mondeuse??

Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding. Is Refosco related to any other grape variety we know??

This would be the Carlisle Mondeuse, made by MikeOfficer. He farms a small 2-acre vnyd near SantaRosa that he btls as Two Acres. It has a block of Mondeuse in it and, on rare occasions, will btl a varietal Mondeuse. The only other Calif Mondeuse I know of is made by JimClendenen/AuBonClimat, from BeinNacido grapes.
Tom
no avatar
User

Wink Lorch

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:16 pm

London/France

by Wink Lorch » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:33 am

TomHill wrote:Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding. Is Refosco related to any other grape variety we know??

Not that I know of - another of the many Italianate indigenous grapes, I think.

Thanks for the info on the two Calif Mondeuses - I think I heard before on this board about the Carlisle and was surprised because it apparently had around 14% alcohol, whereas it doesn't matter how low the yield is and how hot the summer, Mondeuse in Savoie never attains more than 11% natural alcohol. I suspect the Calif version may not be exactly the same. :?: For the records, there is also a very old strain of Mondeuse (supposedly) grown in Victoria, Australia by Brown Bros - sold as a blended wine with Cabernet and Shiraz.
Wink Lorch - Wine writer, editor and educator
http://winetravelmedia.com and http://jurawine.co.uk
Also http://www.winetravelguides.com
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

by TomHill » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:57 am

Wink Lorch wrote:Thanks for the info on the two Calif Mondeuses - I think I heard before on this board about the Carlisle and was surprised because it apparently had around 14% alcohol, whereas it doesn't matter how low the yield is and how hot the summer, Mondeuse in Savoie never attains more than 11% natural alcohol. I suspect the Calif version may not be exactly the same. :?: For the records, there is also a very old strain of Mondeuse (supposedly) grown in Victoria, Australia by Brown Bros - sold as a blended wine with Cabernet and Shiraz.

Wink,
I only label the Carlisle Mondeuse as the world's greatest Mondeuse half in jest. Much/much different from any from the Savoie. It usually runs 14%-15% alcohol, far above any Savoie I've seen. It's a deep/concentrated/serious wine; I guess you might call it "international" in style, yet still speaks of Mondeuse w/ that black cherry/licorice slightly earthy aromatics and a rather austere/tannic bite.
Not heard of the BrownBros having Mondeuse. Wonder what the pure stuff tastes like?
Tom