The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Aligote Shmaligote

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Aligote Shmaligote

by Jenise » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:43 am

So today I saw a bottle of 2004 Michel Lafarge Aligote Raisin Dores on the shelf at the local Piggly Wiggly and bit--this is a grape I've just not been able to make friends with. The aligotes I tried in Burgundy all tasted like cheap French Columbard jug wine. Back on home turf, Jim Dietz poured me one once upon a time that wasn't bad--a Gambal?--but one or two others (including a domestic version--a Steele?) have been as insipid as I remember.

Lafarge is supposed to be one of the best, right?

Nose of sweaty socks. On the palate, more sweaty socks. Finish? Yup, more footwear. I suppose one could mention minerality and sharp acidity but the absence of any fruit for me to wrap my tongue around made cheap French Columbard sound good. To my tastes, it's maderized--old and stale, and not in a good way. I couldn't finish a glass.

So is this a wine I'm just out of synch with, or was it stupid to expect an 04 to be any good?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Aligote Shmaligote

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:11 am

Aligote (the little I have tried) is always better as young as possible. It's even better once you put some cassis in it.

Let the geekiest of the geeky now descend on me for my heresy...
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:22 am

While not the geekiest of the geeky, here I come. :)
I would agree that 99.5% of Aligote is best consumed in a Kir. But both Lafarge versions would generally be in my 0.5% (along with the Coche-D and the de Villaine). The Raisins Dores is generally a bit richer than the regular Aligote.
I don't recall having the '04 RD, but I've generally enjoyed in other vintages. It's generally in a more Chard-ish style than the more lean grassy (i.e. more typically Aligote) regular Lafarge B-A.
This sounds like a flawed bottle to me. Sounds to me like bad storage.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:27 am

Every wine has its purpose, to a true wine connoisseur. My first taste of Aligote greeted my first step onto French soil, issuing a friendly hello in my hotel room ice box. It was dry and bracing. Almost perfect for the occasion. I felt like I belonged, drinking something like a vin de pays.

French Columbard jug wine, too, I think Taylor specifically, which probably no longer exists, is the most perfect wine in the world from which to make the cream sauce for Chicken Terragon. It has an even more perfect application, too; which, unfortunately, I can not divulge on a public forum.

If you find a wine distasteful, I think it means, unless it is corked or something – and even that has application for learning – that you just have not yet found its métier.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:39 am

Jenise, how are you at picking up TCA? I mean, what with all that socks and footwear and "no fruit" talk...a possibility?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:58 am

I've had only one experience with Aligote, but it was a very positive one. Perhaps worth emphasising that it was not French; also that it was not extremely young. But Oregon does seem to work wonders with French whites.

La Bete, Aligote, Walla Walla, Oregon 2003
My first experience with this grape. Sweet nose of citrus and melon. On the palate, citrus, melon, vanilla, and a long finish of citrus zest, grass, and melon. Medium-full in body. Drink in the next year, possibly longer. 87 [03/06]
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:33 pm

Thomas wrote:Jenise, how are you at picking up TCA? I mean, what with all that socks and footwear and "no fruit" talk...a possibility?

Generally very sensitive, and my first reaction upon putting my nose in the glass was, "Oh crap, it's corked." But with a couple swirls that sharp, weedy, mold smell went away, leaving just that stale, old smell. More likely that it's, as Dale put it, a storage problem--but it could in fact, now that you suggest it, be BOTH. That would explain why it's weirder than either alone.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:22 pm

Hi Jenise,

Please forget everything I said. It's bullcrap. I have been trying to figure out how to participate on this forum after deciding that what interests me is not generally appropriate for discussion; therefore, I am searching for a way to participate by making stuff up that I think is more appropriate. After I write it, though, I sometimes can't figure out what I am saying, because I don't really relate to it. Plus it is not interesting. I will keep trying.

Covert
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:14 pm

Covert wrote:Hi Jenise,

Please forget everything I said. It's bullcrap. I have been trying to figure out how to participate on this forum after deciding that what interests me is not generally appropriate for discussion; therefore, I am searching for a way to participate by making stuff up that I think is more appropriate. After I write it, though, I sometimes can't figure out what I am saying, because I don't really relate to it. Plus it is not interesting. I will keep trying.

Covert

Okay, keep trying. But if you're going to go suggest that a wine is good for things you can't mention in public, pick a more believable target than French Columbard, okay? :)
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:32 pm

[quote="David M. Bueker"]Aligote (the little I have tried) is always better as young as possible. It's even better once you put some cassis in it.

Jenise, I agree with the others that this bottle needs to be consumed young. About 6 months ago I also opened up my last of the 2002 aligotes and it was close to what you were describing, maybe not so heavy a smell but it was definitely well beyond its expected lifetime.

Lafarge's are usually pretty good so look for a fresh one and see if it changes your mind.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:41 am

I have a bottle you might like.

OTOH you might not, but it is arguably Aligote at its' highest level (Kir aside - that can be pleasant). It is Marc de Bourgogne, aka Burgundy Firewater (the denizens of Cognac can rest easy at night - no threats from Burgundy).
no avatar
User

Nigel Groundwater

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:08 pm

London, UK

by Nigel Groundwater » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:38 pm

There is an Aligote which I found to be a quality white burgundy – Ponsot’s Morey St.Denis 1er Clos des Monts Luisants which has over the years been a blend of several grapes: Aligote from the start and then, variously, Pinot Gouges [the albino Pinot Noir] and Chardonnay.

When I had it there was some Chardonnay but it was mainly Aligote but I believe that in recent years it has been 100% Aligote. I cannot say what it is like today but would guess that it isn’t very different from what seemed to me to be a distinguished white burgundy.

It wasn’t my wine or choice and I have never had it since and like any Ponsot wine it was probably pretty expensive but it was good. Has anybody here had the recent 100% Aligote wine?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:00 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I have a bottle you might like.

OTOH you might not, but it is arguably Aligote at its' highest level (Kir aside - that can be pleasant). It is Marc de Bourgogne, aka Burgundy Firewater (the denizens of Cognac can rest easy at night - no threats from Burgundy).

I've never had Marc. Or should I say, a Marc? I'm aware that Marcs are made in Southern France and of course, those wouldn't be from aligote. Actually I know very little about the brew--I thought it's making had something to do with the seeds, etc, leftover from wine making, then distilling it. But I have no idea where I got that, so I am likely wrong.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:28 pm

Next time you come by, I'll introduce you to Marc!
And yes, it is the final use of pomace left from the winemaking process.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:52 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Next time you come by, I'll introduce you to Marc!
And yes, it is the final use of pomace left from the winemaking process.

I'll look forward to it! Btw, great day for garden work, at least down here--beautiful sun, though Pender, Salt Spring and points beyond are shrouded in fog so you might not be enjoying what I am.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:16 pm

Up here in the Great White, the weather is similarly clement, and I am about to take my balls in hand, probably for the last time this season, to defend the Bocce title du jardin.

As my usual partner is away in la Belle France, Coop is standing in and N&D are the loyal opposition.

Wine is chilling, panini are waiting. I'm a lean mean bocce machine, and I'm up to no good! :twisted: :mrgreen: :twisted:

Bocce fever!!

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:46 pm

I've only tried one Aligote wine-the DeMoor-and I did enjoy that. It does almost sound like a bad bottle.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach