The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Bodegas Vizcarra Ribera del Duero 'JC Vizcarra'

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2006 Bodegas Vizcarra Ribera del Duero 'JC Vizcarra'

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:26 am

I purchased this on the recommendation of a trusted merchant. He wrote about it in the store flier and called it Burgundian in style. Jay Miller (the Wine Advocate Jay Miller) called it hedonistic.

Umm...one of these things is not like the other.

Well not quite. The wine is very dark (Danger Will Robinson!) and the aromatics are full of ripe, crushed berries & oak (Danger!!...furiously waves mechanical arms...). But when I taste the wine it is rich, but balanced. There's no snese of heat & I don't fall over in my food after a glass. In fact I want to drink more of it to enjoy it's rich flavors that are accompanied by a touch of finishing austerity. I wouldn't call it Burgundian or hedonistic, but I can see elements that would lead someone to do so. Heck I would never nail it blind as Spanish, let alone Ribera del Duero, but the more I drink it, the more I try to take it apart (and really can't), the more I like it.

I wish you were here to drink it. (bonus points to the first person to get the reference)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: 2006 Bodegas Vizcarra Ribera del Duero 'JC Vizcarra'

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:09 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I wish you were here to drink it. (bonus points to the first person to get the reference)

JC?

Riberas are so often wonderful. For the longest time I have avoided riojas because of the predominant use of American oak, so I love the fact that I can drink riberas with pleasure because they tend to use French...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:22 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:JC?

Nope.
no avatar
User

Dick Bueker

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:19 pm

Harrisonburg, VA

by Dick Bueker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:38 am

I've still got a bottle down stairs. It was rough when I first tried it. Need to go back and try again. Do you have more or is it still at the store.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:48 am

Dick Bueker wrote:I've still got a bottle down stairs. It was rough when I first tried it. Need to go back and try again. Do you have more or is it still at the store.

Yes and yes.
no avatar
User

Dick Bueker

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:19 pm

Harrisonburg, VA

by Dick Bueker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:35 pm

sounds like my kind of wine.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:27 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:
Riberas are so often wonderful. For the longest time I have avoided riojas because of the predominant use of American oak, so I love the fact that I can drink riberas with pleasure because they tend to use French...

Interesting point. For my palate there often seems to be an unpleasant reaction between Tempranillo and American oak in young wines, in particular a strong taste of dry caramel and molasses on the finish, which seems to disconcert me more at table than in a sip and spit situation. I experienced this on an 06 Rioja from Navajas last night and this afternoon at a tasting on a Ribera del Duero, whose provenance I did not note and which was an exception to the French oak rule. I also recall it on an Ercavio Roble.

Maybe these tastes will integrate with time though I doubt it on the Navajas where the substance is probably too light. Good classical old Rioja, e.g. Imperial 66 or Gran Reserva 87, is perfected balanced with no obtrusive wood but I suspect the proportion of NEW American oak was quite low and the wines were only put on the market many years after the vintage.
Tim York