The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Another TSA/wine story

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Another TSA/wine story

by Jon Peterson » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:13 am

While I did not find this in a search, forgive me if this has already been posted:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/w ... col17.html
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Another TSA/wine story

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:31 am

Jon Peterson wrote:While I did not find this in a search, forgive me if this has already been posted:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/w ... col17.html

Jon, never feel the need to apologize for posting an interesting wine story, and that one certainly qualifies!

Now I must go take an extra BP pill ...
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:34 am

Thank you, Robin. The joke in our family is that the word 'sorry' must appear somewhere in our family's crest.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:37 am

FYI - US Airways adopted the 5-liter rule across the board in order to simplify things for their agents. Sucks for wine lovers, but in some ways it makes sense.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:42 am

David M. Bueker wrote:FYI - US Airways adopted the 5-liter rule across the board in order to simplify things for their agents. Sucks for wine lovers, but in some ways it makes sense.

Just another reason to avoid the asshats there. Even my 83 year old Mom thinks they are dirtbags for reasons totally unrelated to wine.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:49 pm

I had the exact same problem with Delta airlines here in Buenos Aires last year.... I had to look up the regulations and went to meet with the Buenos Aires station manager and get it cleared up. I was having clients go up to the counter to check in and be turned back, despite the fact the wine was professionally packed.

One thing that strikes me as odd is that the airline agent would have the nerve to ask for the wine.... that reason alone should be grounds to fire him/her... :evil:
Alejandro Audisio - drink wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes!!!
ITB in Buenos Aires, Argentina
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:14 pm

The writer of the article recommends Winecruzer wine carriers for transporting wine on aeroplanes. The Winecruzer home page itself says they "developed the WineCruzer wine bottle carriers in response to the new TSA regulations limiting alcoholic beverages to only 5 LITERS as check on luggage".

The cases do look very sturdy, but I don't understand why there is an additional extra hole in interior which makes the box larger than it needs to be, and I'd be wary about the 12 bottle carrier which weighs 13.6 kilo (30lb) empty and would weigh in excess of 42 Kilo full, where BA has a maximum weight limit per bag of 23kilo.

The 6 bottle carrier at 7.25 kilo empty should be OK full.

I have checked in polystyrene packers in cardboard boxes --which are much lighter and cheaper -- both 12 and 6 bottle size for long haul flights over several years without problemsm though wheels and a handle would help.